Are most people just too stupid to handle the philosophical/literary/metaphorical idea of god without turning him into...

Are most people just too stupid to handle the philosophical/literary/metaphorical idea of god without turning him into their best friend or some jihadist political force?

Like it or not, they cannot think like the ancients anymore.

>he is not best buddies with goodie Goddie
The blood of your babes shall quench the dirt of your land and the blades of our swords.

Most people never thought to begin with.

>tfw to stupid for god

>want to go to church and meet new people to talk about interpreting the bible as a sublime work
>terrified that everyone will be like my brother-in-law's family of retarded live-laugh-love baptist faggots

it is likely

People disappoint.

Study and reflect privately.

>muh God is just some abstract entity and in no way engaged in a personal relation with humanity
fucking deists get out of my Veeky Forums REEEEEEEEEEE

What i have found is that most people, including atheists, base their idea of god on the Abrahamic version of god.
Even the non believers are trapped in the demiurges material prison.
Another thing is the priestly class, the priests, imams, and rabbis, are managerial go between who control the flow of what god is or not saying to you, most people on this planet do not talk to god themselves, they have this manage class that talks to god for them

Yes.

>live-laugh-love baptist
Oh geeze, these guys man.
Why hasn't more studies been done these guys?
Maybe they're just harmless cultists.

How do you learn to think like the ancients?

People aren't smart enough for theology, as strange as that sounds.

A friend of mine told me she didnt believe in God anymore because she prayed to have more stuff and God didn't give her anything. She literally saw God as a magic man in the sky who rewards the pious with money and shit.

You get raised in a society with no telephone or internet

Do we blame science? Or pure reason?

Get raised by some insular community in Africa and live and believe in animism and witches. Or read some anthropology of religion down there. Animism feels even more ancient that OP's monotheism.

Prevalent ideas change over time, anybody with a superficial understanding of the history of philosophy can see this.

Things were changing long before our beloved science or reason as know them showed up, theology as a word is introduced by Plato, but it begins even earlier than him.

Thus theism keeps being reinterpreted and reinvented until it's a shadow of its former self.

I'll bite, OP. What is he then? How should we conceive of God in your view?

Note, I'm just saying "he" for brevity. I assume if there were a God, traditional concepts of gender (or sexuality or race or whatever) wouldn't apply.

Tbh, I'm a little terrified by the idea of God as this amoral, or maybe supramoral, being who created life out of an aesthetic whim or for some ineffable purpose beyond human comprehension. The vulgarized "bearded man in the sky" image sounds much nicer. The conception of God believed in by more theologians and more intellectual religious believers sounds sort of Lovecraftian.

God is hydrogen

Church-goers, and nothing more.

>and live and believe in animism
How? if I don't have a soul.

>The conception of God believed in by more theologians and more intellectual religious believers sounds sort of Lovecraftian.
This is an really interesting/amusing view.

No, it's because of our obsession with the literal and objective that came with the Greeks. But we only misunderstand understand religion because it was a preconscious form of knowledge.

Religion went from phenomenology/ethics to metaphysics/ethics.

Humanity hasn't changed in intelligence over the millennia, not really. The masses still operate on the same spiritual level (or slave morality, you may call it) as they always have. The difference is that progress in science and technology has changed their mode of focus and their morality. Concepts and forces that the ancients recognized were as dependent on their mode of focus and morality at the time, which was dependent on the level of science and technology at the time, as the concepts and forces that we recognize today. tl;dr now, and even back then, the masses don't understand concepts in philosophical texts and never will.

It should seem Lovecraftian. It's the real real, that which makes the phenomenal world nothing but shadow.

But at the same time we might only think of god and heaven in terms of falls and distances because they never existed in the first place. If they are things we fall from, then we were always already fallen from them. Intellectually, god might be nothing more than that on which our superlatives and understandings of totality hang. He represents a purity we feel we have lost, yet never had to begin with. We have to call that True and this world False because, well, this world is so horrible compared to the idea of Better that god represents. And you can't get through life without constantly bumping against that Better, especially if you're prone to intellectualizing things.

>philosophical/literary/metaphorical idea of god
>interpreting the bible
So you're an Atheist but afraid to admit it? Don't worry, us fedoras will keep up the fight against spooks and for science so you can one day come out the closet as an Atheist.

Pls don't forget our sacrifice though, remember us for being the brave warriors that we are and know that we hold no grudge against you for laking the bravery to accept your believes.

case: point: