Will underwater cities ever be a thing Veeky Forums

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

Will underwater cities ever be a thing Veeky Forums. Will power companies ever try to harvest the energy released from hydrothermal vents?

Attached: 24602276230-aef4d172c5-k-1200x714.jpg (110 KB, 1200x714)

Nojokur
Nojokur

wherein the standing pig finally discovers that contrary to popular belief, the ocean isn't much cleaner than the air - fish just don't mind swimming in their own shit.

Supergrass
Supergrass

I mean, I'm not saying live in the water. Just having containment within the water to be able to use the vast space taken up by the ocean.

Lunatick
Lunatick

why in the water? what's wrong with caves and tunnels?
damn crab people.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

Most of the earth is water yes? Why not use the space for more than just travel?

Soft_member
Soft_member

I think its a good way to escape human pollution and the general nastiness of our brainlet civilization. I'm thinking the Indian ocean is perfect.

happy_sad
happy_sad

I hope our population doesn't become so disgustingly huge that we would need them. Send the extra people to Mars or Venus instead.

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

Why would we need to live below the water though?

escape human pollution
Literally how would this accomplish that?

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

living in a giant maelstrom of plastic and ither garbage
escaping pollution

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

Will underwater cities ever be a thing Veeky Forums
No. What would be the point?

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

It doesn't matter if there's unlimited geothermal energy, or masses of untapped oil or mineral reserves. The most important resource to human life doesn't exist down there... oxygen.
When NASA comes up with an economical and "safe" solution to the oxygen problem in their attempts to colonize other planets, then we may start to move to the oceans.

Soft_member
Soft_member

Its called Atlantis, dumbass

Attached: Manly-P-Hall.jpg (412 KB, 461x700)

w8t4u
w8t4u

The most important resource to human life doesn't exist down there... oxygen.

Ever heard of H2O? Commonly referred to as water? Science solved this problem ages ago and before you go spouting about "but salt water" this problem also was solved ages ago and purification is not that hard. Nuclear Submarines do exactly this to supply Oxygen while under sea for months.

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

I imagine the amount of energy necessary to sustain such a city would be vastly greater than whatever you would gain from a hydrothermal vent. People, especially I, have been wrong before though.

Nojokur
Nojokur

No. No. Hydrothermal vents are rare and difficult to find. The active vents themselves can be rather small. They also tend to be way the fuck away from civilization.

idontknow
idontknow

Wouldn't the Indian Ocean be full of shit?

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

That is the joke.

Please clap.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

make it happen

Attached: ZpanOC0.jpg (732 KB, 2560x1600)

Flameblow
Flameblow

Apparently, it only takes a few feet of water to stop radiation. People might move underwater if a GRB hits the solar system.

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

nuclear powered cigar tube that costs billions of dollars to make
economical and "safe"

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

why the fuck are there buildings in a bubble? It would be like a giant submarine, you wouldn't waste space, safety, efficiency, and structural integrity on creating an empty sphere to plop some shit in.

Techpill
Techpill

Isn't a lot cheaper to simply go underground?

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

People tend to like living in an aesthetically pleasing environment.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

geothermal power doesn't exist, despite even OP mentioning it

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

if a gamma ray burst hits us we won't have time to go underwater you twat

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

Meaningless because they'll be inside. The design is art for the external view, no thought went into it. Further, they can get over it in the face of pragmatism. That pic would only ever resemble maybe some luxury resort.

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

find a way to make it economically viable and it will become a thing. ocean mining is trying to get going, so maybe you could imagine a city that moves around the ocean to mine resources.

TechHater
TechHater

I hope our population doesn't become so disgustingly huge

waaay too L8 m8

Emberburn
Emberburn

if a GRB hits the solar system.

Humans wouldn't survive such an event no matter where they were in the solar system.

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

energy released from hydrothermal vents
implying we don't already do this
are you stupid, ignorant, or a troll?

Lunatick
Lunatick

Yes we would you idiots. The main threat of a GRB is that it destroys the ozone layer. The radiation itself is not bad enough to kill everything instantly. At least not when the source is from any star actually predicted to produce a GRB. They're all very far away.

Anyway. Ozone gone equals bad things because the Sun can really damage everything with UV at that point. But water stops UV dead, hence the notion of using the seas as large population centres while humanity wait ages for the ozone layer to reform.

Inmate
Inmate

Would it be possible to make giant submarines powered by solar panels, and maybe a nuclear reactor, that have habitation blocks and hydroponics farms inside?

This seems more practical, because they could move from port to port, trading, re-supplying, and unloading waste/dead people if necessary.

Attached: giant-submarine-Ulysses.jpg (189 KB, 1081x558)

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit