Will underwater cities ever be a thing Veeky Forums...

Will underwater cities ever be a thing Veeky Forums. Will power companies ever try to harvest the energy released from hydrothermal vents?

Attached: 24602276230_aef4d172c5_k-1200x714.jpg (1200x714, 110K)

>wherein the standing pig finally discovers that contrary to popular belief, the ocean isn't much cleaner than the air - fish just don't mind swimming in their own shit.

I mean, I'm not saying live in the water. Just having containment within the water to be able to use the vast space taken up by the ocean.

why in the water? what's wrong with caves and tunnels?
damn crab people.

Most of the earth is water yes? Why not use the space for more than just travel?

I think its a good way to escape human pollution and the general nastiness of our brainlet civilization. I'm thinking the Indian ocean is perfect.

I hope our population doesn't become so disgustingly huge that we would need them. Send the extra people to Mars or Venus instead.

Why would we need to live below the water though?

>escape human pollution
Literally how would this accomplish that?

>living in a giant maelstrom of plastic and ither garbage
>escaping pollution

>Will underwater cities ever be a thing Veeky Forums
No. What would be the point?

It doesn't matter if there's unlimited geothermal energy, or masses of untapped oil or mineral reserves. The most important resource to human life doesn't exist down there... oxygen.
When NASA comes up with an economical and "safe" solution to the oxygen problem in their attempts to colonize other planets, then we may start to move to the oceans.

Its called Atlantis, dumbass

Attached: Manly_P_Hall.jpg (461x700, 412K)

>The most important resource to human life doesn't exist down there... oxygen.

Ever heard of H2O? Commonly referred to as water? Science solved this problem ages ago and before you go spouting about "but salt water" this problem also was solved ages ago and purification is not that hard. Nuclear Submarines do exactly this to supply Oxygen while under sea for months.

I imagine the amount of energy necessary to sustain such a city would be vastly greater than whatever you would gain from a hydrothermal vent. People, especially I, have been wrong before though.

No. No. Hydrothermal vents are rare and difficult to find. The active vents themselves can be rather small. They also tend to be way the fuck away from civilization.

Wouldn't the Indian Ocean be full of shit?

That is the joke.

Please clap.

make it happen

Attached: ZpanOC0.jpg (2560x1600, 732K)

Apparently, it only takes a few feet of water to stop radiation. People might move underwater if a GRB hits the solar system.

>nuclear powered cigar tube that costs billions of dollars to make
>economical and "safe"

why the fuck are there buildings in a bubble? It would be like a giant submarine, you wouldn't waste space, safety, efficiency, and structural integrity on creating an empty sphere to plop some shit in.

Isn't a lot cheaper to simply go underground?

People tend to like living in an aesthetically pleasing environment.

>geothermal power doesn't exist, despite even OP mentioning it

if a gamma ray burst hits us we won't have time to go underwater you twat

Meaningless because they'll be inside. The design is art for the external view, no thought went into it. Further, they can get over it in the face of pragmatism. That pic would only ever resemble maybe some luxury resort.

find a way to make it economically viable and it will become a thing. ocean mining is trying to get going, so maybe you could imagine a city that moves around the ocean to mine resources.

>I hope our population doesn't become so disgustingly huge

waaay too L8 m8

>if a GRB hits the solar system.

Humans wouldn't survive such an event no matter where they were in the solar system.

>energy released from hydrothermal vents
>implying we don't already do this
are you stupid, ignorant, or a troll?

Yes we would you idiots. The main threat of a GRB is that it destroys the ozone layer. The radiation itself is not bad enough to kill everything instantly. At least not when the source is from any star actually predicted to produce a GRB. They're all very far away.

Anyway. Ozone gone equals bad things because the Sun can really damage everything with UV at that point. But water stops UV dead, hence the notion of using the seas as large population centres while humanity wait ages for the ozone layer to reform.

Would it be possible to make giant submarines powered by solar panels, and maybe a nuclear reactor, that have habitation blocks and hydroponics farms inside?

This seems more practical, because they could move from port to port, trading, re-supplying, and unloading waste/dead people if necessary.

Attached: giant submarine Ulysses.jpg (1081x558, 189K)