What do you know of cognitive behavioural therapy? Any good books on it...

What do you know of cognitive behavioural therapy? Any good books on it? Can I work on it on my own or will I need a therapist?

bumperoo

You need someone else, not necessarily a therapist although a therapist might make the process more efficient. Essentially you need someone there to reality test you by observing kind of latent patterns in your personal narrative and pointing out how they might be inhibiting you. This would be very hard to do on yourself and if you could you probably wouldn't need to.

Just read the stoics.

CBT is pretty good. Don't know any books, but look up thought records. Those are some of the main tools. Basically you just challenge certain ideas / anxieties, and realize that you fall into thought patterns that aren't true or helpful. Therapists can be pricey but probably worth it

Couldn't a CBT therapist do this? Thanks though

I went to cbt. A lot of fucking assholes though. A great majority of borderliners are just fucking damaged and can't be fucked to act like human beings. The doctor said I should leave after the probationary period because the toxic place was fucking destroying me.

Still kind of bitter about it, because I still feel like I just failed, despite the doctor trying to tell me it's not like that for half an hour.

What was the question? Oh yeah. Skills are fine, and easy to do on your own, but you'll need a therapist for anything else. Skills are basically using sensory input to mitigate an emotional attack. Chili peppers, ammonia, gummy bears, warheads, rubber bands to snap on your wrist- those are pretty standard instruments staff keep on hand (and patients carry around with them). So you can easily build your own, and find your own favorite mix of things, since people have a certain sense that they work best with. But the problem with Borderline is the insane ideas that you get stuck on, and if it's bad, you can't fix it yourself, and skills won't work.

What is your specific problem? I read Overcoming Depression by Peter Gilbert years ago when I was depressed and it really made me pull my life together.

Is borderline even real? I thought it was just a catch-all for somebody being an asshole and blaming it on some mysterious ailment that doesn't exist.

As a rule of thumb, stay away from anything related to Freud.

Dude just google CBT exercises,techniques, skills etc,..
Tons of stuff.
Really suprised that the aussies have a lot of free information for clients and practitioners alike.

May also want to look into DBT or dialectical behavior therapy.

No, it's real, but it is a catch all. >for somebody being an asshole and blaming it on some mysterious ailment that doesn't exist.
that's the stigma. Borderliners - in general have a very black and white emotional spectrum. Basically, if a normal person gets mad, they'll get over it fairly quickly and it won't bother them. A borderliner will have a meltdown because they can't regulate their emotions and it feels like the end of the world, which results in a lot of irrational behaviors.

But yeah, a lot of them act like assholes, and "they're sick" shouldn't be used as an excuse, but it is because they're sick, the same way someone with anger management issues punches doors. It's shit behavior and shouldn't be supported. You can work against it and get "better", but it's a lot of hard work, and you (as a friend) can still expect to be yelled at for irrational reasons, but it's not malicious, usually (unless they're malicious people).

Me and my best friend are both borderline, and we love each other, but things still come up. Important is being honest with each other, and recognizing your behavior and apologizing.

I had an "attack" this morning, where there was a logistics issue with something I had to do for work, and I got all agitated and got kind of snippy with her. She told me that I shouldn't yell and since I was already stressed out, I accused her of thinking I can't do my job, even though I know she doesn't think that. Irrational bullshit, but it happens. So you apologize and thank them for their patience and their friendship and recognize your behaviors and work on it. It takes a lot of work and a lot of reflection, but you'll never be "normal"

also, borderline has a lot of "parasitic" illnesses, that are really often associated with it, like ADHD and depression. The "catch all" is because if a doctor can't figure out what you've got, but knows that you've got SOMETHING then you'll get diagnosed with borderline, probably. There's an absolutely massive list of symptoms, but any borderliner can have between all of them, and like 5. So it is pretty wishi-washi. Also, interestingly enough, a lot of borderliners are also bisexual.

That explains every bisexual I've ever met.

Cognitive behavioral therapy is not Freudian. Also, "Freud is full of shit" is an opinion mostly held by teenagers who haven't read him

>"Freud is full of shit" is an opinion mostly held by teenagers who haven't read him
and the majority of the psychiatry field

Psychiatry is a joke

Mainly self-hate and shame.

I went through a CBT therapy course for social anxiety, it did help.

check it out, also try meditation, trains you out of obsessive negative thought patterns effectively.

>What do you know of cognitive behavioural therapy?
Works on specific issues, PTSD, addictions, anxiety, some personality disorders and depression. Has better results combined with medical treatment.
>Any good books on it?
On Behaviorism:
B.F. Skinner's Reflections on Behaviorism and Society
On cognitive psychology:
Ulric Neisser's Cognitive Psychology
On CBT:
Judith S. Beck's Cognitive Behavior Therapy Basics and Beyond (most recent edition available).
>Can I work on it on my own or will I need a therapist?
Go to a therapist, you will/can still apply it on your own, tho.

Some advice, if you don't feel comfortable with your therapist or don't feel like making any progress, change therapist. Psychiatrist + Psychologist combo is preferred.
Freud isn't related to CBT.
It isn't, the vulgar concept of it, certainly is.

The guide to rational living by Albert ellis

this is so pointless it's actually funny the lengths people go to justify it