Pick one

Pick one.

5th from left, red handle

Cleaver

Cleaver. I fell for the wusthof ikon 7 piece set meme and need more variety

far left

For me it's the two tone blade with red handle.

the little fucker?

5th or 6th from the right
I like the simple look

Same

second from the right because it doubles as a spatula

I like the two tone one with the red handle.

I bring my own $5 Kiwi when I cook away from home.

>parents have a horrendous knife set that sucks
>also a bunch of other redundant knives
>want to buy them a couple of really nice new knives for Christmas, chef's knife at the least
>worry they'll never use them because they don't really know their way around a set of knives

What do

I've watched them try to chop things and it's painful

Don't give gifts that require skill to use.

Fair enough.

Who's collection is this? I like his patina on the middle one. The far left also looks super nice with the western hidden tang handle and the brass bolser. Although the one with the mirror polish intergral is probably the most expensive, so maybe I'd take that.

Get them a Fibrox, show them how to hone it, and sharpen or change it out when you visit?

CHINEE CREAVAH BRADE
ONE BRADE ONRY NEEDED
ONRY BRADE

3rd from the left or the Chinese Chopper

7 is not perfectly fit in in the handle, 3,8 and 9 appear to be carbon steel. 3 and 9 seem to be maintained like shit.

i guess i will take 1, no other good choice on the table

9th from the left

None of those look appealing.
Give me the cleaver then, I want to see if it's worth the fuss.

Gimme that beaten up piece of shit far right so I'm not sad when my roommates fuck it up

Tough choice, but I'd pick that one right there

Martin pls

Third from the right. I don't get why do I need the blade so long. I prefer santoku for a chef knife though, just feels best for me.

Try slicing a watermelon with a clever. It sucks.

But it's easy work with a chef's knife.

Santoku or the cleaver. Most of those knives in the picture are for fish only, and would be hella awkward trying to use for any other purpose. Even if they're shiny and sharp, unitaskers are still cancer

Clearly the damascus one

Far left, i like a challenge

> NOT USING A JÛYÔ TÔKEN DAISHO FOR PREPARING FOOD

Why would you use a katana for cooking?

Gotta butcher that tuna somehow

You fillet fish, not butcher them. That's a term specifically for land animals.

Fillet is a particular cut of fish.
You don't fillet a tuna steak.

No, you fillet a fish and butcher a cow. Just like how you drive a car and ride a motorcycle.

Semantics, go cook your dick

You don't fillet a tuna steak, you fillet a fillet.

Your landlubber is showing. A fillet is a specific cut of a COW, not a fish. A fish fillet is simply a fillet'd fish (read: a fish cut and dressed for consumption). Go swim in the water for a little bit and get outside of the house.

Nigga you don't fillet a steak, you butcher it

You fillet it if it's coming from a fish. That's how the English language and seafood works. Go fucking drown in a river you illiterate nigger.

Nigga it's a steak not a fillet
I know this might be hard for your tiny brain to understand because they both come nicely packaged the same way at the grocery store, but fillets and steaks are two different things entirely

>tfw I told my parents about a japanese knife store I love window shopping at and they were so impressed they've bluntly hinted that all of us are probably getting knives for christmas

Looking at getting a 240mm gyuto and maybe a nakiri. Gonna have to test out a bunch of shit in the coming weeks.

>moving goalposts

Butcher yourself my dude.

Tuna steak ain't a fillet senpai

And fillet ain't even English in the first place so fillet yourself out of this life any time.

Then I suppose beef, pork, and fowl aren't English words either since they originate from Norman. Fuck off.

You live in Los Angeles or New York?

Nowhere nearly so interesting, Calgary.

Every year around this time the guy who owns the store takes a trip to Japan and picks up all kinds of weird odds-and-ends/prototype/rookie blacksmith knives and puts them up for sale when he gets back. Apparently this time around he was able to get some really nice noodle-cutting knives at a ridiculously good price so I might try grabbing one of those next week to tide me over until xmas.

middle one, it has some pretty good weeb aesthetics. And it looks like it's pretty solid in quality aswell. Can I get a name like that?

Filleting a fish is a specific way of butchering it- taking the two sides off (or four fillet sections for flat fish). If you're breaking down a fish in some other way, cutting steaks or whatever, it's not filleting.

And for sure in the industry people will use butchering as a term for processing fish as well as land animals.

this

10" wusthof classic please, thanks chink

2nd/7th

>clever
>hur durr I'm 12

Sage.

holy shit

>clever
You are not

Why so many gyutos?

small wooden one that's on the far left.