Baking Live

I'm baking a cake, thought I'd post it as I went.

This seems totally disgusting, which is why we're going to eat it for my radio show.

>Mayonnaise

I'll take a meme cooking thread over a purely meme thread though

This

No memes. Mayonnaise is a long-estabished ingredient and this recipe is from a 1983 church cookbook.

>not calling the thread "Bake a Live"

First, coffee

Makes sense, egg yolks, vegetable oil, and possibly lemon juice or vinegar (reacts with baking soda)

Also got this stock going from a roasted chicken carcass. It's on hour three.

This looks like a cup.

Yep

Foam stage came quickly.

Break time.

Time to mix the dry ingredients.

Always sift your flour.

"Everything is there."

Ewwwww

Got the oven pre-heated. Time to choose a pan.

Maybe I should do cupcakes.

Appearance wise doesn't seem that bad but looks really chunky.
Keep going OP

While I'm waiting, I got this perfectly ripe mango at the store.

Oh yeah

I think I'll eat the whole goddamned thing right now.

Those myrcene terpenes can do a lot of good when combined with other stuff.

Going with my standard loaf pan. I try to be true to recipes, regardless of how awful they may be.

Cut a hole and put your dick in it

Cut a hole in the pan? I should have thought of that before I added the batter.

Still a stupid idea, but thanks for participating.

Chopped some leeks to pass the time.

>chocolate cake

Pleb taste op

It's better than the cum you guzzle every night, faggot.

What?

Leeks and criminis for the chicken tomorrow.

Did you read the earlier posts? I find the very idea of mayonnaise cake totally nasty.

Cum is healthier, tastes better and is free (:

This reminds me of a baking cookbook I have. It's from the '60s and is a bunch of recipes from home ec teachers, some pretty weird stuff in there.

Doesn't look too bad.

Hes probably a Brit. They slather mayonnaise on lots of food.

Totally.

Go back to /b/ please.

I want to shit.in it

No you don't

The chunks are from the dates.

These ingredients look revolting please kill yourself

Okay, you're the boss.

Cut a hole and put your dick in it

"Magic" Chocolate Cake is a very old recipe, and yes, uses mayonnaise. It's a very moist and rich chocolate cake, and has been popular for decades. There's nothing weird about it.

No one said it was weird, but yes, it is. Using mayo in place of eggs and oil in a cake batter is unusual. Unless you make your own, store-bought mayo has vinegar in it.
It was probably designed for when eggs were hard to come by or something. Like mock apple pie which contains nary an apple.

hey is a flour sifter worth it? I've been sifting it through a mesh tool cause I figured flour sifters are harder to clean, your thoughts?

Are you going to eat some and tell us how it is or what?

Wew, I didn't realize this thread was 18 hours old.

That is incorrect. Mayonnaise contains acid. It's what separates it from aioli. A lot of cakes contain vinegar.
>eggs hard to come by
Try again.

What do you have to gain by pretending this is a perfectly normal, common cake?
No, "a lot of cakes" do not contain vinegar. Show me some. And even if you can, if you compared them with the hundreds of thousands of recipes that don't, you'd still be left with a mere fraction, which by definition makes vinegar cakes and mayonnaise cakes UNCOMMON.

>A lot of cakes contain vinegar.
what shitty fucking cakes have you been eating?

Down to lurk this shit

That's clearly an old as fuck cookbook distributed by the local church or women's interest group. Stuff made by people who lived/were raised by wartime or great depression types.

>And even if you can
=
>I'm too self absorbed to consider anything but my own stupid opinion

FTFY

I actually have a pretty informed opinion. I graduated culinary school in 1999 and have 20 years in the industry, including a 2 year stint as a pastry chef.
You can't produce volumes of mayonnaise and vinegar containing cakes because they simply don't exist beyond a few.
And as I posted before, and concurs, this is obviously a "get-by-with-less" type recipe from a bygone era.
...if the pic of the recipe failed to clue you in.

Update: We just tasted it in the studio. The consensus was that it's a perfectly decent chocolate cake. Moist, flavorful (no one could detect the mayo), though one of my tasters didn't like the dates.
I wouldn't probably make it again, but nobody gagged, so good segment.

My mom always made wacky cake, which his vinegar. Pretty good cake too.