Just finished this, pretty great

Just finished this, pretty great
What other McCarthy is essential reading?

Suttree

This

You finished the only essential McCarthy although 'All the pretty horses' is quite fantastic

He never sleeps he says that he will never die he dances in light and shadow. He never sleeps the judge, he says that he will never die.

What the fuck was the judge's problem?

the road. only because it's so short, sweet, and to the point. you'll read the first page and won't stop until you're done. you're also getting a very skeletal version of his style that you don't find elsewhere.

was he a pederast?

He was diddling kids the whole book.

fpbp

he literally could not stop fucking and killing kids

Official Veeky Forums approved cast for Blood Meridian movie. Doug Stamper for the Judge.

lol no

the judge is obviously a cgi character

This is the Judge, just paint him white

Delete this

mccarthy get

Check em

This. It's his best book by far

The border trilogy is also nice but not incredible. Skip The Road

Child of God is the horriest horror book I ever read that wasn't horror.

Suttree: long Faulknerian dribble

All the Pretty Horses: dehydration and pretty mexican ladies lmao

Child of God: woods, creeks, fucking dead bodies, mud, dogs, more woods

The Road: Hemingway+Zach Snyder

No Country: The cartel is, like, evil dude (with the White Whale in mind)

Tbhq you's be better off re-reading Blood Meridean (though the answer you're looking for is All the Pretty Horses)

The Orchard Keeper is his best work. Totes srs.

Read this and Child of God and that's all you need unless you really like him

I found Blood Meridian to be a load of over-indulgent tripe tbqh.

Gomer Pyle obv

don cheadle as black jackson

the road
>muh ash

I read half of this and I actually loved the fuck out of it. Underrated.

Oh fuck dude yeah he would be a great jusge.

Nah, bitch. We already decided on John Malkovich.

Yeet

Malkovich isn't thicc enough
The Judge is tall and large, Malk is a skeleton

All the pretty horses sounds good desu

but can he dance?

Why did the judge want that preacher killed in the beginning? Just for the fuck of it?

Maybe. I'm a little confused about the Judge too. I'm actually still reading the book, but I'm about 4/5 of the way through.

The Judge literally lays out his philosophy several times in the book, but it's hard to judge his actions against it. For one thing he is very individualistic. He states that he catalogs things and collects knowledge of the world because if things exist without his knowledge, they exist without his consent. So his primary drive in his collecting information is related to power/control. Then later, he talks about how weakness has no place in the world, that man is an animal of play, and that the greatest games are games of life and death. He describes how ideologies are meaningless in the face of life and death, and that basically the "best" men are the ones who play the game of life and death well.

So this all makes him seem somewhat chaotic, but it does express a disdain for weakness. So why did he rescue the imbecile from floating away downstream and dying? The imbecile is the most incompetent, weak human in the entire gang. Is it more to do with his contract with the guy their were leading to California? Does the Judge respect agreements? Or does he enjoy saving the imbecile because nature was going to claim him, and in the act of rescuing the imbecile the Judge showed some dominance over nature?

If the latter is the case, I also wonder if a part of the Judge's philosophy is not just that killing those weaker than you is what makes you a powerful, better human, but that sometimes shepherding the weak towards victory over those who would be stronger is an even greater dominance. But I'm not sure if what he craves is power over the world, or if he just believes might makes right and then does whatever he wants to do at any time.

Glanton seems similar to the Judge, but a little more racist and spiteful of powerful things. The Judge is kind of carefree most of the time, whereas Glanton always seems brooding and angry, and he acts out in vengeance against individuals who would have power over him.

It is. It's pretty solid and atmospheric. Not as violent but fuck me i wanted to ride a horse after i finished it. Enjoy, it's probably his easiest and most entertaining af.

Blood Meridian is the best
The Road is nice
I liked No country for old men, but i'm probably the only one
All the pretty horses kinda bored me, so i didnt read the other two.

i am missing Suttree and the first three novels.

its a bad book. mccarthy lost it.

Suttree

Read Faulkner now.

Hm, interesting post and at least you read what you're talking about (increasingly rare on Veeky Forums) but I think all these contradictions in the Judge are precisely part of his character. You can't take him at face value or make rational sense of him, he says he does things for a certain reason and claims to be expositing a certain philosophy he acts by, but I think this is deception. You can't take the Judge at face value.

The Devil, after all, is the father of lies.

Compare this to Iago in Othello; in the beginning he has the most seemingly honest conversation in the whole play about how he does what he does because he doesn't want to be a sniveling slave and how he wants to get revenge for being cucked; however, the more it goes on, the more it seems he doesn't actually care for his wife and is just doing it all for fun

He was an absolute madman

The Road is his worst book.
Child of God

I don't understand how people can actually enjoy his gimmicky tripe

Your weber gas barbecue is a portable outdoor cooking appliance. With the weber gas barbecue you can grill and barbecue and roast and bake with results that are difficult to duplicate with indoor kitchen appliances and the foods you eat will include fish or meat or poultry like the tottering mexican gamebirds that scratch and tumble against one another on the baking piebald clay. Scrawny and sunblind they spasm like marionette grotesques borne on strings manipulated by some sclerotic hovering madman.

The closed lid and flavorizer bars produce that outdoor flavor in the food samesuch as if the flame enraged a long dormant gorgon who inched up from the bowels of his warren with simmering breath and molten eyes to belch smoke from caustic nostrils upon tilapia or center-cut ribeyes or portabello mushroom caps for the vegetarian who while not unwelcome is yet apart from the slobbering horde of pop jawed carnivores.

The weber gas barbecue is portable so you can easily change its location in your yard or on your patio or back to your yard again then to return to your patio or deck and then again to the yard. Sometimes once a year you may in a fever that passes like a hellcast mariah roll it to the front and to the driveway because of a forth of july cul de sac party awash with lukewarm lite beer and a dip of spinach and artichokes skulking in a loaf of ill gutted ryebread encircled by drowsing bluebottles. Portability also means you can take your weber gas barbecue with if you move.

DANGER
Failure to open the lid while igniting the barbecue's burners or not waiting five minutes to allow the gas to clear if the barbecue does not light may result in an explosion like the innards of some miscreant troll in Gehenna gutshot by Lucifer's own blunderbuss whose daemonic entrails spew and rain a rot of broiled offal.
1) Open the lid to reveal the iron slatted maw that waits only for the punishment of flame, the benediction of meat
2) Make sure all burner control knobs are turned off to the off position. (Push the control knob down and turn clockwise with the slit eyed patience of an aged watchmaker setting the last sapphire into a timepiece commissioned by some doomed commodore bound for unseen quadrants shown on maps long forgotten in the attics of crumbling monasteries.
3) Turn the cylinder on by slowly turning the cylinder valve counterclockwise.
WARNING: Do not lean over the open barbecue. Keep your face and body at least one foot away from the matchlight hole when lighting the barbecue lest the sulfurous vapors carve down the fragile passages of your lungs to rupture the infinite twinkling gossamer chambers that host breath, hold life.
4) Push front burner control knob down and turn to start hi.

5) Push the crossover ignition button several times and so set off with each depression the corresponding click heralding against an indifferent universe that this insignificant coordinate of the cold, reverberating void will soon roil with minor conflagration.
6) Check that the burner is lit by looking through the matchlight hole on the front of the cooking box. You should see a flame, arrogant against the pitiless black, daring to cast shadows and throw shapes that look by all eyes like a host of cavorting hobgoblins celebrating the end of some bloodsoaked contest against another cohort of similar bugbears. This is the first flame and the last flame, defiant within its crucible against the envy of Hephaestus himself who yet mourns man having been granted the power to shape and destroy as would a god.

Just finished Child of God, it was great, so that.
Weren't all the pretty horses and the 'play' supposed to be good?

WARNING: If the burner does not light, turn the Front burner control knob to OFF and wait 5 minutes to let the gas clear before you try again or try to light with a match.
7) After the front burner is lit you can turn on the other burner or burners. Always light the front burner first. The other burner or burners ignite from the front burner, spiriting coils of blue flame along their crenellated flanks to then rear up and lick and snap and chop at the undersides of the grate above, like apocalyptic geysers yearning to free themselves from earths bedrock and realizing too late that for all their upward struggle they are of an instant extinguished and then supplanted by another tongue itself likewise doomed. An endless succession consuming itself in ceaseless blistering sentience.

>t. corncob tortillas?

ye

Which translation is the best for Blood Meridian?

Didn't he kill him because he claimed the preacher had raped a kid? I assumed he was primarily using him as a scapegoat with the added bonus of generating chaos in that town by removing a central pillar of morality. Also think about how he is driven to master things by documenting/understanding them before ridding the earth of their existence. I can't quite remember how he puts it, but it's covered in that scene in which he is sketching Indian relics

Cage or Tom Noonan for the Judge. Then I want to see Joaquin Pheonix and Viggo Mortensen in the cast.

Dude, Nic Cage is a fucking manlet compared to others. The Judge was like 7 feet tall. He's the fucking specter of violence.

Not one mention of The Crossing

What happened to Veeky Forums?

The Crossing is God Tier. It's between BM, Surtree and The Crossing for best Tortilla novel.

This has been Veeky Forums consensus for years now

molyneux as judge
those kids obviously violated NAP

Yep. And prepare to feel like shit for a week or so.

The judge kills the kid in the end? Or it is just the girl in the bathroom?

The Kid killed the girl. The Judge sublated the Kid's violent tendencies, and so he danced, danced. And never died. The Judge is literally a heavy vision of war and violence.

OP what's about that book?
Why is it so good?

>white whale
>no country
what?