Felt sick of reading on a tablet so I went to the library to get a copy of Crime and Punishment...

Felt sick of reading on a tablet so I went to the library to get a copy of Crime and Punishment. The library was closed for construction, but my wife spotted a bookstore across the street. We were in a rush to make a movie so I grabbed their copy and, surprised at the low price tag, got a copy of Dubliners for myself and Pride and Prejudice for her.

Today is the day I accidentally bought three Wordsworth Classics. Should I kill myself?

They're only bad if you hate the covers and the garnett translation of crime and punishment is great so you're not missing out there.

u should still kill urself tho

The best Wordsworth cover

Who's the oldfag supposed to be?
Can't be Joe - he looks too smart
Can't be the Convict - doesn't look that damaged
Can't be Jaggers - not how I imagined him (too whtie)

As a uni student living in Europe, Wordsworth Classics are a goddamn godsend. If you go to a bookshop to grab a copy of Ulysses in English, ie, you're either gonna toss away 20 euro or grab a Wordsworth for about 4. Now, what are you gonna do? For me, it's either that or I skip eating for two days. Sounds more reasonable now, doesn't it?

That Crime and Punishment cover is surprisingly good.

this

I have a Wordsworth version of Portrait of The Artist. It's a very good copy, and the cover is great as well.

Barnes and Noble Classics and Oxford Classics are the best though as long as the translations are good.

literally nothing wrong with some wordsworth if its the original langue, and some covers are not that bad.

in my country, a brand-new wordsworth is 2x cheaper than the same book in a second-hand bookstore so...

its ok bro, the only dubious one is crime and punishment.
wordsworth is fine for english work, and collecting the covers is a nice hobby.

Its rather similar to the one for the idiot

I don't get it, what am I missing?

what is happening in this thread, Wordsworth covers are usually not-worth the money

best cover here

I have the Crime and Punishment (same cover as OP's) and Anna Karenina Wordsworth Editions. The covers aren't that bad desu

The endnotes in C&P are nice. I also like the idea of an accessible introduction, although I haven't read one yet.

Are there no libraries in your country?

I really want to sit down and talk with the people who designed these covers, what was their aim, is it genuine good will or just a joke?

>bought three Wordsworth Classics

F

These will be collectors in forty keks. Although not these in particular.

Why did you take your wife to the library while in a rush to catch a movie (even though you got tired of reading on a tablet) and then went to a bookstore which your wife spotted while in a rush to get to a movie? I know it's unrelated to the topic, but i think it might have been raining and you and your wife might've been in a frantic mood and when you grabbed her and pulled her along she might've dropped her rain hat and made a face wherein her teeth were gritted and said "Jack, look! A bookstore!" while pointing across the street to the aformentioned bookstore. And the teller might've greeted you with a witty tort about your disheveled look (from the rain) which you just grinned and beared it.

Some of them have to be jokes. I refuse to believe someone designed this without realizing how hilariously bad it looks.

>ask for books for Christmas
>on of those being Dracula, a personal favorite
>the day off, see a stack under the tree
>anticipation arises, the masterfully crafted covers await me
>open the first book with eager excitement
>Wordsworth Classics
>mfw

Can you even imagine reading that in public??

wordsworth is unironically the patricians choice

Should I get the Woodsworth or Penguins? Woodsworth is like half the price but the covers look shit.

I have a 1930s copy of C&P by Garnett. Highly readable and enjoyable. Lack of accuracy will not spoil the read.

>For future reference, go for P&V translations.

Holy...

IIRC it's currently hanging in a St. Petersburg art museum. Other than that, I don't get it either.

this is really bad. aimless, repetitive, lacking in any punch or meaning behind the beginning of the false anecdote. almost an attempt at satirical realism, but falls flat with all the meandering. surprising how such a short post can gather so many cliches of hack writing.

probably the work of an unpaid intern