Reading Difficulties

Recently I've picked up reading again. As a kid, I used to read books with ease, and read constantly. Now, however, I find it incredibly difficult to focus on a book and I wind up reading only 4 pages in around 15 minutes or sometimes even 20. Am I retarded or am I out of practice?

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/files/5200/5200-h/5200-h.htm
amazon.com/Heart-Europe-History-Roman-Empire/dp/0674058097
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

maybe reading dusty old mid 20th century histories by nazis and commies isnt the best place to start

same problem. I'll be watching this thread as well if answer pops up

Someone I always advise in threads like this is try not to go for something too "heady." I get it, you come on Veeky Forums and you see nothing but Pynchon, DFW and dense old Russian literature and you want to dive right in. But just like everything in life, you ultimately have to work your way up to those things.

Pick up an easy to read, mass market paperback, something that looks half way entertaining that you can breeze through. It's not about the book so to speak it's to get you used to the "mechanics" of reading.

Internet is only memes

You don't start working out by attempting to bench press 400lbs. If you try that you're going to drop the weights and break you're neck. Instead you should start of small and light and slowly build up your muscles until you get to it. I didn't start reading regularly until around 25 years old and I spent a long time reading YA fantasy and things like that. It's nothing to be ashamed of because even those stories are much better than anything you find on TV.

Start small and easy and don't push yourself too hard. My first book was one about King Arthur written by Mary Stewart and I remember reading only like one or two chapters a day, now years later I'm reading 3-4 books at a time for most of the day. Once you start reading regularly you should invest in an e-reader because free books are awesome. For 20 dollars you could probably find an old used one and that's good enough and it'll pay for itself a thousand times over.

best tip i've seen

It depends what you're reading. If it's non-fiction like what you have in your picture, depending on the depth of the content, 4 pages in 15min isn't totally out of the norm.

>am I retarded
Nope, this is pretty much directly caused by our constant attachment to the Internet.
Instead of sitting down and taking it a lot of information from a book, your brain has adapted to many spurts of information.

desu "crime and punishment" was the thing that made me re-fall in love with reading and i loved gravity's rainbow as a stoned teen. i agree not to read for meme's sake, but i think a better piece of advice would be to read a book both accessible AND brilliant. reading a formulaic mass-market might turn anyone on the fence away from reading, if they have half a brain.

some examples of books i find both arresting and brilliant are:
>if on a winter's night a traveler
>temple of the golden pavilion
>the third policeman
>fathers and sons
>the elephant vanishes (just the story; i haven't read any other murakami desu)
and for poetry
>ode to a nightingale
>rime of the ancient mariner
>lines composed above tintern abbey
for nonfiction
>civilization and its discontents
>five dialogues of plato (it's a popular collection)
>pascal's pensees

i think these examples—basic as they may or may not be—highlight the beauty and importance of literature as a medium, especially compared to other, more popular visual media.

one more, brief recommendation is t.h. white's "the once and future king." i think this, more than anything (except maybe calvino and o'brien), book highlights the exact failings of visual media. there is no way that anyone could adapt this book and give it a greater emotional or visual impact—though disney tried. white forces imagination down your throat like a goose bred for foie gras. the only other author who jumpstarts visual imagination in a similar way is phil k. dick, but he can be pretty hit-or-miss.

4 pages in 15 minutes is insane, what are you reading size 18 font shit?

This desu familia
You'll be a pleb but it is better to be a pleb for a time and then eventually move on to better things than to always be a plebeian

read out loud

Hey user. I think a lot about this as I have issues staying focused myself. I have ADHD so that def plays its role but there are some things I've discovered about focus and reading.
I notice that I'm more likely to lose my attention if a passage or a particular sentence is giving me trouble. When I can read with ease I can be completely attentive and really feel the flow of the book. I think the only thing to do is to get better at processing the information and words found in harder texts. Often I'll read a sentence and notice I missed a word or so because my brain is accustomed to skipping so I'm trying to build to habit of reading conscious of every word. Despite what everyone here says I honestly don't think 4 pages in 15 minutes is that bad of a pace considering what you're reading. If that's the time you're investing it means you're taking the time necessary to read what's being presented.

Thank you, everyone who posted in this thread. Your advice has really eased my mind, and I greatly appreciate it. I'll be putting the advice to use. I only recently noticed that of my small collection of books, I've read hardly anything. I'll definitely be getting back into the swing of things. Again, I really appreciate the replies. Pic related, it's the books I've accumulated.

I also have a difficult time reading, I start to wonder off and continue reading while thinking of something else.

Is this a sign of ADHD?

Sounds like my reading OCD. I've learned to deal with it but it gets worse when I can't focus. Most days I can read about 35-40 pages which lets me finish most books within a week or so..

If you've become really accustomed to using a computer -- reading the news online, browsing Veeky Forums online, etc -- then it might be easiest to read on that screen.

I know the idea of holding a book and reading in comfy chair is great, but go to gutenberg and try to read something online. You may find your reading comprehension and ability to focus isn't so bad after all.

gutenberg.org/files/5200/5200-h/5200-h.htm

Heart of Europe looks interesting. Can you send a pic of the first page? I'm curious how small the font is.

What is this? 1980?

Go here, and click "Look Inside!"

amazon.com/Heart-Europe-History-Roman-Empire/dp/0674058097

Then click "First page"

This might sound random, but have you checked your eyesight recently? I'd had a similar thing, where over the course of a few years my focus declined noticably, turned out I just needed reading glasses and didn't suddenly become an idiot