Is Lang a meme?

Is Lang a meme?

Attached: 860480.jpg (266x400, 13K)

Yes, terrible expositor. He has not written a single book that does not have an established superior alternative

I don't think there's a viable alternative to his Basic Mathematics though, i.e. a book that will prepare you for higher mathematics from scratch and has proofs, covers enough topics but isn't too long.

Gelfand (Algebra, Trigonometry, Functions and Graphs and Method of Coordinates)
"Number, Shape, and Symmetry" by Herrmann/Sally

i dropped out of school after 8th, having completed only basic algebra, and didnt persue education again until i was like 25.
i used lang’s basic math to basically teach myself math before starting school again.
at this point 95%+’d precalc, calc 1, and discrete, and im currently taking calc 2 and linear algebra

i know im still doing baby math, but i think lang gave me a really solid foundation to grow from. i couldn’t recommend it more for someone starting from square one.

>Gelfand
Biggest meme on the board. His books are mediocre supplements, at best.

It goes into enough depth for a non brainlet.

>Gelfand (Algebra, Trigonometry, Functions and Graphs and Method of Coordinates)
Lang covers more topics quicker and with more rigor though

Is Rudin a meme?

baby rudin is good if you already know your way around math but you kinda forgot ale the theory behind calculus and need to refresh. it's terrible if it's your first exposure to mathematical analysis. I don't have any experience with his other books.

It is reposted on thousands of sites so it is a meme.

it lacks rigor, it's shit, really shit.

Gelfand is a bad meme.

>it lacks rigor, it's shit, really shit.
Can you give an example?

Wrong. Gelfand does.

gelfand is such utter garbage
principles of mathematics by oakley and allendoerfer was much better. even serge lang was better, from what I looked over.

Whoops, misread.

Gelfand is a meme.

>oakley
lol

>Gelfand is a meme

Can any of you provide even a single example

Don't listen to Veeky Forums on anything that is labelled a meme. 9 times out of 10 it's the highschoolers spouting nonsense.

I'm currently working through Open University MST124. It's a first-year course from a distance learning "university"[1] which has no entrance requirements. It assumes that its readers are vaguely familiar with essential algebra/function/trig concepts but are very rusty and require reminders and practice to improve fluency. It provides that and then moves on covers calculus and some linear algebra.

I'm not actually taking the course, just reading through the books (which is almost the same thing, since the books are the only method of teaching in the course). I wouldn't call it "rigorous" at all- instead of proving things, it follows this pattern.
>Introduce a concept
>Build up to a solution intuitively
>Use the solution on some worked examples
>Ask the reader to solve a bunch of practice problems
>Move on to a new topic, often one that requires the solution you just learned in one way or another

It seems to be somewhat uncommon to teach calculus etc before teaching logic and proof. I'm sure it's not Veeky Forums approved, but this is working for me so far. I can go back and read more "rigorous" texts after I have a good working knowledge.

[1] I use quotes because its degrees, while "real"/accredited/non-diploma-mill, honestly don't seem to be in the same league as degrees from normal unis with strict entrance requirements. I don't see how they could be, since they take the same amount of time while requiring much less starting knowledge.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 03.43.58.png (785x984, 201K)

I hope not, I just bought his Basic Mathematics book..

>I hope not, I just bought his Basic Mathematics book..
You should have just downloaded it instead of wasting your money

Attached: Untitled.png (575x623, 124K)

It isn't.
"Lang is a meme" is a meme, probably perpetuated by some faggot brainlet who couldn't hack it. It definitely prepared me for Spivak.

What's the issue with this?

>faggot
Why the homophobia?

>Spivak
Spivak is a meme.

Thanks for proving it's the same person posting this meme over and over with that same canned response.

Brainlet.

what the fuck did I just read?
Is it an actual paragraph from the book?

Attached: 1502656119938.jpg (1600x886, 137K)

>person who reads books by Lang and Spivak calling others "brainlet"
Oh, the irony...

Yup.

>what the fuck did I just read?
>Is it an actual paragraph from the book?
Which part do you not understand?

Excellent meme, cross-boarder. You've been caught, faggot.
Next.

>Excellent meme, cross-boarder. You've been caught, faggot.
What are you trying to say?

>these are the kind of brainlets who are too dumb to read Gelfand, so they read Lang

Not an argument

Why the fervent defending of Gelfand?

Just look at the last paragraph in the screenshot you inbred fuck, it looks like some turbo autist entered brain failure mode and that was the result.

Attached: 1521302007803.jpg (900x900, 83K)

>Not an argument
None is needed when there is no issue with that excerpt from Gelfand, aside from you both being too brainlet to understand it.

t. brainlet defending the first math book he ever read, after falling for a Veeky Forums meme

What did he mean by this?

Attached: Untitled.png (1013x899, 76K)

>t. brainlet defending the first math book he ever read, after falling for a Veeky Forums meme
We're not a "he", and nor is that the first math book we ever read (that would be some forgettable assigned textbook in grade school, or if meaning a book read front to back, Shafarevich's "Basic Notions of Algebra").

>also pretending to be a femanon
epic
how did lang hurt you
was it his algebra book?

>epic
>how did lang hurt you
>was it his algebra book?
What do you mean?

are you autistic?

>are you autistic?
I do not see the relevance.

So that's a yes

How good was it? I've only seen his freshmen mathematics

Not related to Lang, bit nice work dude. Hang in there. I started school at 23 and initial did precalculus and trig as my first math class. I finished it, then all of calculus, a proofs course, linear algebra, Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Statistics and probability theory. Going to be taking graduate level maths soon. I'm 26 now.

Believe in yourself and don't let anyone tell you too aren't smart or good enough for math. Don't worry about being in "babby tier" maths

No, it's not a meme. It is a difficult book that requires some supplemental help in the form of a lecture or an extra book. In that circumstance, it is an amazing book. For complete self study, it is subpar unless you're already quite well prepared. I.e., you know basic Analysis in R^1.

To get the most out of it, you need to attempt the proofs of the theorems yourself as you read it. The exercises are not enough, you have to also prove all the theorems

So, what's the best to relearn basic math from scratch (assuming I had math classes on university years ago, but forgot even basic trig and polynomials at this point)?
Principles of Mathematics by Oakley and Allendoerfer
Number and Geometry by Stillwell
or Basic Mathematics by Lang?

Lang to move as quickly as possible. You don't want to dwell on precalc.

people saying lang or rudin suck haven't read them. they're just parroting reddit posts.

I'm in no hurry and I remember gaps in basics always biting me in the ass when I was in university

I think exposure to several approaches to the subject is the superior option. It also depends on what your goal is related to learning. i.e. just for fun, cause you are autistic, or you are young and want to be a mathematician, or you are already a mathematician reviewing the basics.

Lrn2meme fgt pls