Overrated

Overrated

sisters > brothers

>I didn't get it.
>I didn't appreciate it.
>I'm an atheist so I didn't like it.

FUCK OFF.

I 'got it' perfectly, I just don't agree with it. Fuck you.

>I 'got it' perfectly

It's really fucking boring. I have about 150 pages yet and it has really confirmed to me that pseudo intellectuals use literature as a social signalling mechanism. When you say the book isn't insightful they claim it's meant to be bawdy fun. When you say the book is boring as fuck they say it's insightful.

You don't have to agree with it to enjoy it. You don't have to take it to heart. It's a great book, a great piece of art and one can learn a lot from it or just apreciate it for sheer etertainment.
I'm not religious but why can't someone approach literature from a passive/spectator-like point of view?

>equates own "agreement" with merit

lmfao, be less stupid

That just means the book is not for you which is not a disaster and you're not inferior in any way. Move one, read more.

>Dostoyevsky being used as an indicator for intellectual taste
Is this an American thing? I mean his novels are too mainstream and entry level for such a thing.

It's a lit thing.

I agree. Now tell that to the mountains of pseuds out to get me

Oh sweetie... thinking a book that is pretty universally considered to be one of the greatest books ever is overrated is absolutely pleb tier. You either don't know enough about the book, or you don't appreciate its literary merits to understand why it is as good as people say.

Dostoevsky is relatively unknown in US like the majority of Russian authors.

Ditto

Why does foreigners so obsessed with Dosto? I'm russian and I don't get it. Dosto is mediocre, and he's an entry school level writer

>agreeing with it as a metric of literary merit

kill yourself my pleb
you're retarded

Jesus why are you still posting here? Fuck you're stupid.

gonna need you to go back to r/books

What I liked it because I am an atheist?

What writers are considered high level in Russia then?

You clearly haven't done the work necessary to fully appreciate the level of aesthetic mastery in Dostoevsky's works. Only brainlets are unable to deal with the possibility that there is anything beyond their understanding, and that there is a world of profound ideas in literature that are only accessed through years of reading.

Get a hold of this real Russian literature pleb.

I require background on this one

Oh it's this thread again

Читaл_Дocтoeвcкoгo_-_кaл_eбaнный.jpg

he's held in high esteem in norway beacuse he influenced a lot of our writers like hamsun, bjornson and ibsen. it's probably the same in other countries, dosto paved the way for the modernist movement imo

It's a mediocre book. It's too melodramatic and biased in favour of theism. Christians love it because it parades their ideology as the solution to life's misery. I read an English translation, but I didn't find the prose especially interesting either.

Does this have an english translation?

As far as I know, no.

>I just don't agree with it
What does that have to do with the book's quality, brainlet? If I perfectly agree with the chronicles of fucking Narnia does that make it great literature?

You need to be over 18 to post here, enjoy your summer

that's only because most authors aside from john green and the basic shit that's read in high school are relatively unknown in the US. anyone in america who has even a passing interest in literature is going to know who dostoevsky is, you retard

The Chronicles of Narnia are great children's literature though.