Would you step in a teleporter Veeky Forums?

Would you step in a teleporter Veeky Forums?

Attached: Teleportation-trolley-problem.png (366x395, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nQHBAdShgYI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's the mechanism of teleportation in this? If it's like the standard scifi explanation, realistically it'd just vaporize you and then you couldn't pull the switch anyway.

Copying all atoms (all information) perfectly and then rebuilding them on another place

I'd do it for temporary clones and preserve my original self.

I other words, I go through the teleporter, pull the lever, go back into the teleporter I just came from and accept death because I am a clone. The original me was watching from a safe distance and goes about his day.

Literally what the fuck are you talking about?

If it's just copying the atoms and building a clone in the second location, sure.

As long as I'm not vaporized in the process, idgaf.

Cloning is no fun, you would need to destroy the body to get all the information

not for that shit
aren't we supposed to be scrooging out and reducing the world surface useless eaters ?
line up 6 billion on the tracks and let her rip

Attached: 1513103277572.jpg (700x393, 41K)

That seems a bit silly.

If you don't destroy the original at the same time, then they will no longer be the same person

I use my chi and autosummon bose einstein condensate body formation, I go through the teleportation device as one random anomaly, never having been broken apart I'm still me on the other side

youtube.com/watch?v=nQHBAdShgYI

>when you go to sleep tonight, will it be you who wakes up in the morning?

Sweet dreams, Veeky Forums

Using a teleporter.

Attached: 1512059495065s.jpg (241x250, 4K)

I would dive into a teleporter, I would not step into a transporter.

Learn the difference you retards.

That's the same line he uses at the end of the video

copying without destroying the original

All of these scenarios are a farce. The fact that the position of the lever is pretty determined should no way impart guilt on the decider, rendering the experiment useless. The lever position should be undetermined or probability based. Alternatively there should be an additional option to kill everyone on the train instead of or in addition to.

So, the question is... Would I be willing to die and replace myself with a duplicate controlled by a different, unique consciousness, leaving my consciousness destroyed??

Good God I've been praying and begging for that for decades. It's bloodless suicide that's win/win for everyone!

Sign me the fuck up!!!!!!!

Are we assuming that the teleporter makes an exact copy and destroys the original me? My question is, does it really matter if it's truly me or not? The person who walks out of that machine has all my memories, motivations, personality, physical make-up, and his consciousness starts exactly where I left off except in a different location as if I did a sci-fi teleportation thing. I don't really believe in a soul or anything, so... For all intents and purposes, the copy is me. As far as he and anyone else is concerned anyway. My old consciousness wouldn't have much to say anyway, being obliterated and all. Sure, people will make the usual arguments. "But you died in the teleporter, it's not you!" I agree. I died. But does that actually matter at all when determining whether this new person is me or not? What special significance is there to keeping some kind of continuum of consciousness? Consciousness is a fucking meme. It means nothing. What actually makes something you? What defines the borders of what is and isn't you? Is it the literal matter that makes up your body, that's always being exchanged anyway? Does you-ness actually just boil down to an uninterrupted timeline of consciousness? Are you a different person every time you regain consciousness? It's arbitrary. So yes, the clone is me. You could say that the real difference is that I wouldn't experience anything the clone experiences since I'm dead, but what does even THAT mean? Not to go full nihilist, but your existence as a consciousness is an illusion. Divorce from your ego for a second and realize that your "mind" doesn't exist outside of the body, or exist at all really. Descartes was a fag, there's no nebulous "you", just because "you" think. If you read all this pseud bullshit I just wrote, I pity you.

How does killing me make my clone turn into me? In some functional sense maybe, but that doesn't really help me since I'm dead.

>My old consciousness wouldn't have much to say anyway, being obliterated and all.
>obliterated

Does your consciousness get obliterated every time you fucking fall asleep or get concussed too?

no no no.

The idea is that the matter is converted to energy, the energy is transported, and then converted back on arrival. If it were to "copy all the atoms" and destroy the original it would be completely fucking worthless.

I'm no electrical engineer, and actually know very little about it in general so this may be way off base. But, wouldn't it be different energy that arrive at the destination? I.e. in this case wouldn't you need a direct current from point A, to point B, which isn't how energy is usually transferred?

In either case, I wouldn't be super excited about getting vaporized and reassembled, even if it was the exact same energy.

Ya that actually hit me when I was reading bobiverse. "How have I not thought of this before holy shit" I meant it didnt change the way I live in anyway, bit still interesting to think about

What I don’t get about this type of question is how exactly the teleported works
Let’s say that the teleported breaks you down atom by atom to record the information Where do those atoms go?
Surely they aren’t destroyed

And if the Machine breaks you down atom by atom, if you teleport clone steps back through the machine, why wouldn’t the machine build you back atom by atom.
I mean, it knows precisely which atom goes where to create an exact clone, but why wouldn’t it just recreate you?
If you’re rebuilt atom by atom exactly as you were before you were broken down, how is that not you?

Believing that it wouldn't be you stepping out of the machine is a silly stance to take unless you believe that every discontinuity of consciousness means "you" die, like sleep. If you believe in physicalism, that is that you are the specific arrangement of matter in a certain way without any non-physical elements like a soul, then it's simply untenable to hold the position that an identical arrangement of matter wouldn't be you in every way, including your subjective experience. To argue that it wouldn't be you in some specific way that the current you would be dead is essentially arguing that there is something ephemeral about the current you that cannot be replicated at all, which is silly.

Attached: 3-machine.jpg (1010x1580, 404K)

>If you’re rebuilt atom by atom exactly as you were before you were broken down, how is that not you?
People can't wrap their heads around the idea that their consciousness is a function of the arrangement of matter in their brain at any given time and that replicating that arrangement of matter necessarily replicates their own consciousness.