Anybody here living off of bean burritos and/or beans and rice? In search of some ideas

Anybody here living off of bean burritos and/or beans and rice? In search of some ideas.

Right now I'm keeping my burritos simple. Refried beans, canned enchilada sauce as a Taco Bell red sauce analog, cheese, and diced white onion.

For beans and rice, I like to do black beans and over plain steamed rice with cilantro, lime, and hot sauce.

My turds are like 2 feet long, btw.

I like adding some eggs to mine. Scrambled eggs, with no milk, no cheese. It goes alright with some store bought salsa and a few tinned beans

I like to used lentils cooked with onion, peppers and tomato paste. For a taco bell sauce analog I use a packet of taco bell fire sauce. Kraft makes a taco cheese that's spot on. I cook a bit of Spanish rice for it too. Steam the tortilla before rolling and you are 99% of the way to taco bell heaven.

Is it just Kraft Taco shredded cheese or...?

Because I usually buy the Kroger "Mexican style" shredded cheese or whatever.

i could eat bean burritos all day every day for years and not get sick of them buddy
if money is the issue, try getting jalapenos and dicing them up really small, you can get a whole bag of fresh ones for like a dollar (here at least, they're $0.99/lb all year long)
or buy some cumin in the mexican section of the grocery store and mix that into your beans, a large packet of that costs 0.99
other than that it sounds like you've got it handled

what brand refried beans do you buy

i've made homemade but i don't like them as much. guess i'm just used to process shit

How can I recreate taco Bell red sauce?

It's very good.

How do you reheat bean burritos that were in the fridge overnight?

>dump everything into a pan and heat it up.
>warm the tortilla on top of the shit as it cooks.

brotp: at the asian market you can get pork belly cheap as fuck. that and some onions peppers, and a can of beer make a killer pot of beans

>paying for the mark-up of pre shredded cheese
>in addition to the expense it's shittier and melts worse
Buy a grater once, then buy cheese in bulk- I think queso fresco and sharp chedder will be about the same as meximix.

this
also if you have a food processor then you've likely got a shredder attachment

>having more dishes to wash
No.

you do know preshredded cheese is treated with some chemical to keep it from clumping up right??

Breakfast Burrito
>chorizo
>potatoes
>onions
>cheese
>salsa
Cook the chorizo, drain, and set it aside. Fry diced potatoes and onions in the chorizo grease, season with a little salt and black pepper. Throw them in a tortilla with the chorizo, top with cheese and salsa, then roll into burrito.

>Teleports behind you
>Puts a couple drops of this in your bean burrito
Heh nothing personal kiddo.

>some chemical
You mean...corn starch?
the horror!

Just prepare and refrigerate a meat stew and refried beans. Maybe shred some lettuce and chop up some vegetables. I didn't grow up putting rice on my burritos, instead i used potatoes.

I NEED HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP, I CAN'T FIGURE OUT A GOOD WAY TO MAKE BEAN BURRITOS AT HOME

I use canned refried beans, I just don't know what the fuck to do....the easiest route is to just assemble the cold burrito then microwave it, but that leads to a WAY TOO HOT burrito tortilla that by the time it cools will be come hard rubber

I also don't know how to season the beans, they say they are seasoned but they still taste like bland beans to me

Help

>canned refried beans

Don't do that. Get yah beans (in a bag(they're cheaper)(and taste better)(these parentheses are getting out of control)), soak them, cook them. Get some tortillas, heat them up if you want, put the warm beans on the tortilla and add some onion or whatever shit you want on there. Eat it.

Dude, just go to the store, they have all 3 of them in the mexican aisle

My go-to for breakfast burritos is to microwave it for 30-60 seconds (depends on burrito size) and then stick it in a toaster oven for a few minutes to really crisp up the tortilla. Otherwise it gets soggy.

Are you a poor Mexican by any chance

>put beans in bowl
>microwave them separately
>????
>profit

ITs called "taco cheese" and its made by kraft - preshredded. it is preseasoned and super convenient and will make all your dishes taste like taco bell.

>My turds are like 2 feet long
feelsgoodman.jpg
Brah get some animal protein in your body

Refried beans only need vegetable oil, onion, and salt to taste good. You could use pork lard and it would make them taste heavenly, but they would then become unhealthy.

Anyway, the trick to good refried beans is taking the onion beyond caramelization, you actually want them to turn dark brown. This infuses the oil with a delicious oniony smokey flavor that's indicative of authentic refried beans. Sometimes I like to add Chipotle peppers to mine. Deseed them, mince them well, then add them to the oil and onion mix towards the end of the onion's cooking. Frying the peppers doesn't enhance their flavor, it just helps distribute them in the oil. You also want to add a few tablespoons of the adobo sauce they come in since that's where most of the flavor comes from.

yeah its called flour glutenfag

No worries, I make breakfast tacos with eggs and sausage.

poop on a paper plate?

Not sure if its been mentioned but toasting the tortilla on an open gas burner is absolutely key.
Also sour cream

I try to make mine from dried beans but the texture is always terrible.

like, what
how do you f that up

I wish I could afford cheese.

Regardless of how long I soak or cook them the beans never get as soft as canned, and the resulting refried beans are gritty.

>slow cooker
>low eight to ten hours
you'll think they're done and try to turn it off but they're not
just be patient

Thanks, I'll try that then.

A personal lazy recipe of mine;

Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil.
Add ~1 cup black or red lentils. Low boil black lentils for 15 minutes, 7 minutes for red.

While this is happening, quarter 1 large onion and thoroughly rinse 1.5 cups of white rice. basmati works best.

When ready, remove the lentils from heat and drain them.

Add 1/2 to 1 cup of your preferred cooking oil to a large wok over medium heat (vegetable oil works fine. Adding a few dashes of sesame oil is pgood)

Grind a bunch of pepper into the oil, then add 2.5 tablespoons of your favorite spices. I've been using a high quality massaman curry paste, but you can substitute a mixture of coriander, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and/or whatever.

Once the oil and spices are well mixed, add the onion and ~1/2 cup pork sausage or a ground meat of your choice. Stir occasionally for ~5-10 minutes or until the meat is slightly browned.

Add the rice and stir frequently until the rice begins to brown.

Finally, add the lentils and let them the mixture sit over heat for a bit to let any excess moister in the lentils evaporate. Once it is fairly dry, stir fry the whole thing until the onions begin to brown.

Finally, transfer the whole thing to a large rice cooker. Add a few dashes of soy sauce (or fish sauce, or a pinch of salt) and lime juice, then add water until the mix is fully submerged. Stir it up and start it cooking.

Once finished, make burritos.
Makes a whole fucking lot of servings.
As a 6' 2" highly athletic male I generally get several days of leftovers.

You forgot to add egg.
>1 part chorizo and stir until almost cooked (brown)
>drain chorizo grease
>crack eggs into pan (equal to amount of chorizo) mix and scramble egg and chorizo egg until eggs are done

Wala

I must be the only one who thinks scrambled eggs in a burrito is disgusting.

Eggs are intrinsically disgusting on every level.

But scrambled eggs pair well with both rice and fried potatos. So it makes sense that a burrito containing rice and fried potatoes could incorporate scrambled eggs.

I don't know. It's more that I find the texture of scrambled eggs inside of a burrito off putting.

I eat beans and rice everyday, round out cabbage salad and/or tomate&onion salad with apple vinnegar helps so it doesn't get that boring and to satisfy without eating to much beans or rice