What is your favorite spore Veeky Forums? Also do you like or have any dishes that are strictly mushroom based?

What is your favorite spore Veeky Forums? Also do you like or have any dishes that are strictly mushroom based?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qlw8bKNlD-U
youtube.com/watch?v=0-p_13dAEdI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

from the supermarket probably baby bellas, I've had morel mushrooms at a $50/plate dinner that were extremely though. I love mushroom dominant dishes.

extremely good*

>What is your favorite spore Veeky Forums?

a little ground dried porcini is good with a lot of stuff
thick cut button/portobello is good so it doesn't disappear
shiitake and oysters are decent

so it's all good to me

I used to get that fancy mix of mushrooms that included oyster but never found them alone.
I haven't had the chance to work with dried mushrooms a whole lot. Any national chain stores that sell those?

Hen-of-the-woods. Oddly cheap where I am, the feathery, thin pieces get a nice crisp sear pretty quickly. Sautee some up and toss em on anything.

I would love to try those. I think they grow in the mountains here. I Remember Zimmern going to Asheville and foraging with some hippy.

>dried mushrooms a whole lot. Any national chain stores that sell those?
I see them at wal mart
morels or psilocybin depending on what I want to use them for. they're both good on pizza. once I found 12 or so morel and cleaned them up and took them to my favorite pizza spot and they put them on a pie for me. I wish I knew better spots for finding mushrooms

The supermarkets near me started stocking packages of fresh oyster mushrooms. Really good in stir-fried dishes. They're supposed to be extremely easy to grow.

Is this even necessary? I worked with a cook that thought he had to do this.

it's an aesthetic thing, but if you're doing anything with them where you add them to other shit, you should do it or the spores or whatever you wanna call them will turn shit all black and discolored.

Came here to post this, especially good when you marinate them in basalmic and olive oil first.

Spores are how mushrooms reproduce. The fruit body you refer to is called mushroom. It’s not even fungus, because that’s the mycelium that grows beneath them.
Stupid easy. I grew them on shredded junk mail.

Anyone ever had a mushroom dip? We used to make one I think it had cheese.

sounds like it was invented when someone wanted stuffed mushrooms but didn't have a piping bag and didn't know you can cut the corner off a ziplock bag and use that, or they were just too lazy to spoon the filling in

So they start out as a spore.

Very fresh, properly sauteed and simply seasoned oyster mushrooms are an apex dish. Honestly I would rather have perfectly prepared oyster mushrooms than steak most of the time

If you can get chanterelle mushrooms they're really good with just shallots/garlic and butter, perhaps a little white wine.

mushroom soup I typically think of some kind of button/baby bella mushroom. Cream of mushroom soup is really good on a cold day.

Asian influence shiitake is pretty easy to get your hands on in most supermarkets, you can do stuff like chawanmushi, stir fry, or just pan grilled, add water to steam, and season with soy sauce.

Best fungus is truffles, though it's somewhat out of the realm of mushrooms, but a truffle risotto is one of my favorite dishes, so I wanted to mention it.

Chicken of the woods is my favorite mushroom of all time, only problem is I've never seen them in a store, I have to find them in the actual woods. They can be used as a chicken substitute because the taste and texture is so similar

and they're aesthetic af

I want to learn how to do this without picking the wrong ones and dying.

youtube.com/watch?v=qlw8bKNlD-U

H̢̯̬͎̫̭̊̍̓̂̊̎͒͌͜Ȅ̛̮̜̻̗̺̥́̋̚L̙̘͍͈͐͢͡Ḻ̢̘̺̪̣̬͔̟͔̆̈̀̓O̮̘̺̫̫̝ͪ̈́̚͢ ͚͕̣̜̼̬̟̀̐ͦͭͬ͌ͤ͞F̷͈̠̟͖ͫE̡̛̻̟ͧͨ̔͐̏L̥͍̞͚̩͖̰͕̓L̫͚̫̘͈͒̉́ͬͤ̌͠ͅÖ̭͙̣͇͐̀͌W͙̘̫͎͈̭͙̳̯͆̂̌ͪ͞ ͎̂̾͋̌ͮ̿͜͠H̢̖̘ͩ͌̈́̒ͫ̿̐ͩ̆͜Ũ̳̞͓̤͕ͫ͡M̷̴̹̦͎͉̄̑͋ͤ͠Ǎ͖̘N̛̩̹̬̼̙̪̬͖̗̓ͩ͂͗͌́
̠̘͖͍̾͌ͤ͘͟
͚̝̘̤̳͔̈ͮ̀̚I̡͚̪͛̉͋̚ ̗̟̥̤ͣͤ̿̑͟D͖̹͊̾ͫ̕͟Ǫ̞͈̳͈̬̣̣̣̑̔̓ ̢̠̱̦̰̰̫̭̼̾̍ͪ͐͑͡L̨̞̼͍̞͆̉̽͒͛̒̑ͦ̿Ì͕̦͚̤̮̽ͬ̄ͪͬ̋́͝K̢̺̤̗̤͕̠̻͉̣ͪ̽ͫͪ͗̀͒͆ͫE̷̬̻͈̎̾͜͠ ̶̖͓͍̬̹̦̟͖̦̿̒͢T̨͉̫͚̬̐́̄ͮŎ̥͈̯͖͎̳̫ͮ͟ ̢̛͇͈̜̱̰̟ͭͮ͝ͅC̡̺̟̠͙͓̠̫͒͑ͩ̆ͭ͗͗̈́O̧͙̼͚̘̯̮͎͚̽̐Ń̷͖̣̜̝̎ͨ̃͜͞S̺̟ͨ͑͋̕Ṵ̖̝̬ͤ͛͛ͯ̐̀͡M̫̱̮̰͚ͤ́̓͊ͦ̂ͮ͢͜E̡̩͉͕͔̖̳͛ͭͨͬ̚ ̨͎̱̯̗̻̳͉̝̯̄̿̆̀̄̀̊͑̀̚͜S̥̠̟̜̯̜̫̺̽̃̔Ṗ̶̷͍̙͍̱̬̰̥̚ͅO̴̦͔̮̙͎̩̪̫ͬ̀̒̐͜R̨̩̤̬̫͚̭̳͙͚̈́͋͂́ͧͨͬͤ̕Ë̠̜̽ͬ̓S̝͈̝̜̽ͤ̾̓ͣ̾̕

youtube.com/watch?v=0-p_13dAEdI

Porcini is the goat mushroom. Chanterelles and yellowfoots are great too. Didn't really have much time to go mushroom picking this year but mom gave me some pickled yellowfoots and dried porcini.

the psychedelic sort

I've thought about making a hamburger but use Portobello Mushroom caps as the buns.

Good idea? Or bad idea?

My mom put me off of mushrooms for the longest time growing up because she'd used nasty was rubbery canned mushrooms in shit.

I like them in certain things now, and even eat them raw or with a dip.

That's already a thing.

Enokitake/Needle shrooms. They are basically springy noodles and go well with sauce/soup

How do you cook them for a pasta substitute?

They don't grow long enough to be pasta substitutes, but they do accompany pasta and noodle dishes well.

Make way for the king.