When will invitro meat take off?

When will invitro meat take off?

Attached: 150925_FUTURE_LabMeat.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg (1180x842, 488K)

when the silly little "superground" strings look like sprouts, so the vegan fuckfaces can consume conscientiously

Attached: sprouts the faggot food.jpg (700x525, 84K)

When the price gets down to, say, no more than 30% more than "regular" meat.
The actual percentage may vary. How much of a premium are shoppers willing to pay today for "organic"?

There's more incentive to buy these meat than organic food, since they taste better than regular meat

How do you know?
People who made it aren't a reliable source.

>TFW my family are cattle ranchers, and we'll probably get BTFO'd sometime in the future.

Why couldn't they just sell their meat with an "authentic" markup?

Never. It's a solution that looks for a problem.
And that never works commercially.

Carbon footprint is your concern? Eat less meat.
You're vegan? Simpler alternatives exist.

What would be the advantage of "authentic" meat?

It's a solution to the "killing animals for meat is wrong especially if invitro meat exists, and once invitro meat is around we lobby to ban non-invitro meat from being allowed to be sold and slap felony charges on killing livestock animals".

It could become for efficient than livestock once the process is mature

For sure. Livestock has to burn through so much feed to support metabolism, movement, cns, growth of inedible parts... Once that stuff is cut out, vat grown meat will be substantially less energy intensive, and hopefully cheaper.

Sure.
Animals are inefficient at converting food into muscle.
We don't help by feeding cattle corn and grain -- stuff that WE could eat. Smaller animals (chicken, rabbits, even pigs) have better food-to-flesh ratios, reproduce faster, and are do fine on waste that humans can't digest.
Hooves, skin, teeth, and several types of offal are discarded (depending on how desperate your culture is.) Tissue in a vat doesn't burn energy staying warm, walking, chewing, or digesting.

It's like comparing a factory-built house with one hammered together by workmen on-site. Economics (and precision) of mass-production.

Even leaving morality aside, I'd be perfectly happy eating hamburger that never mooed.
I'd also like to see a term that H. Beam Piper used become popular. "Carniculture".

There are some meats, such as Jamon Iberico, which allegedly have a certain taste because of the animals being raised in a certain climate, so I'm sure it will continue to have a market with culinary purists.

Lap grown meat does run into some problems though.
It doesn't experience any of the flexing and relaxing that regular old meat does which means most of it is going to have texture similar to veal.
Before they get over the cost barrier, they're going to next to figure out how to create the diversity of texture and taste that meat from even a single species can have.

Y'know, there's a group of researchers who are "calibrating" wine.
A panel of humans characterize varieties as "fruity", "smoky", "sweet", or a hundred other vague terms.
Then they run the wine though a mass spectrometer and use statistical analysis to see just which chemicals are responsible for just which flavors.

The hope (or fear, depending on your culture) is that someday wine will not be fickly dependent on weather and which side of the hill the grapes were planted on. Chateau d'chemistry 2056 will be available in any quantity.

Most "wine snobs" fail blind taste tests. Once meat-that's-real-except-that-it-never-was-part-of-an-animal gets going, making "Kobe Beef" will just be a matter of tweaking the recipe, kneading the tissue, and adding some beer to the mix.

We're not there yet. There's some outfit which claims the distinctive taste of meat comes from the heme molecule. They can extract that from plants.

We have to differentiate between something which looks and tastes like meat (but is vegetable) and actual animal muscle tissue which is being cloned and grown like Bill Cosby's "Chickenheart".
It the latter is successful, I assume the muscle-in-a-vat will be "exercised" with electric shocks. I've had that done as part of physical therapy.

>When will invitro meat take off?

Never, glass is the wrong substrate for a culture medium. You're basically growing a tumor colony as long as silica fluid makes up the solid base for the culture.

The only feasible thing we might make is fake ground beef. Once you start flexing the tissue for texture, it uses so much energy that you might as well grow a whole mammal on cellulose.

There are some high-pH recipes for fermented ground beef, and the net mass increases. The thing that people should study is whether it is feasible to indefinitely sustain meiotic cycles in ground beef.

I helped a jewish friend of mine with the basic theory, and he made something that works. The only problem with product rollout is that there is too much bad investment wrapped up in ideas that will plainly not work. Too few investment bankers understood the prerequisite systems biology and cell biology to make a spread or hedge that included winners.

TL DR;
It's here, but too few understand the right way to make it- or even how to say it. Undue favor is granted towards those who are making big mistakes with other people's money.

>Most "wine snobs" fail blind taste tests.
Sommeliers don't. Just because the majority of people can't taste things doesn't mean there isn't legitimacy to wine snobbery

>we lobby to ban
Nice democracy you've got there.

Ive tried some pata negra and my man I cant even describe how good that stuff is.
Seriously, it makes you wanna cry, its simply stupid good.
Its made from pigs that have only eaten apricorns their whole life.
Lab made shit simply cant replace the real deal.

Right before the first colony drop.

yeah lol whatever. I prefer technocracy.

nothing wrong with those mungbean kiddo's
they taste good and are super easy to make.

No they don't. People say artificial meet tastes like shit. The scientific reason is because it lacks all the other stuff that comes with real meat, such as fat. Much like is the case with fat, protein needs to be mixed with other flavours to taste good to us.

Attached: 1503951447062.gif (270x380, 283K)

As soon as we engineer a machine that can do the labor of laying the thin layers one over the other, I guess prices will drop pretty hard. Cost of production is the only thing they need to overcome. I think people will actually prefer this to regular meat, because it doesn't come from a cow that ate antibiotics-filled super food, didn't spend his life in mass husbandry, didn't cause any deforestation and greenhouse gases, and didn't need to be slaughtered.

For now. One day we will be able to replicate la puta negra anywhere and use it at our pleasure.

Good luck mass producing any kind of mammalian cell to a consistent level, this is one of the biggest problems in modern biotechnology.

>Most "wine snobs" fail blind taste tests. Once meat-that's-real-except-that-it-never-was-part-of-an-animal gets going, making "Kobe Beef" will just be a matter of tweaking the recipe, kneading the tissue, and adding some beer to the mix.
First when you say "wine snobs" what you mean is "wine retards" because professional sommeliers absolutely can distinguish all the way down to the local county where a wine was produced on a consistent basis. Second Kobe beef cannot be replicated in a lab because what makes it Kobe is the process leading up to the cut of meat. I hate the word flyover but seriously try and get some culture.

Attached: 1502833579521.jpg (400x462, 26K)

actually yes Sommeliers also mostly fail

huh?

>arguments like this when the demographic is fat-ass walmart land whales that eat ground up pig lips erry day

your autism is palpable

source faggot
the reason they become sommeliers is specifically because they don't fail blind tests

proabably true, feelsbadman

Attached: 1511203987659.png (437x426, 121K)

It's easy user, start investing in other areas.

KEK

>la puta negra
I don't know if you did this on purpose, but you've caused some hearty keks on the east coast.

What this will mean is that animal meat will become the 'good stuff' and the number of cattle get's decreased substantially, switching from quantity to quality. But not to an extreme amount. I'm sure real meat will remain a common thing in super-markets for the foreseeable future, a bit more expensive though.

Also, I'm looking forward to trying types of meat made to taste like exotic animals. Really looking forward to eating "Panda".

Meanwhile in reality land in order to become a recognized sommelier you are subjected to literally thousands of blind tastings which you have to get overwhelmingly correct or they wont endorse you. There is even a documentary on it to spoon feed you the information since I know youve never read a book in your life. Its even on netflix, entitled SOMM.

There are probably a lot of fake sommeliers out there who don't have credentials.

I see fake wine as being a threat for boxed wine makers more than for the more respected brands.

Its possible, but some producers already buy bulk grain alcohol and mix it with whatever the fuck and sugar and try and sell it as mid tier product. To be perfectly honest I cant imagine a world in which you could successfully replicate "real" wine with a slurry of alcohol, water, and x ingredients. People have been consuming vast quantities of house wine for thousands of years so I dont see much of an impetus.

Couldn't they mix the meat with tofu to create the texture?

as reliable as tour de france, no bribes ever

Why would it when we already have a perfectly good way of producing meat?

I hope so. I love fuckin salami but I've been a vegetarian for years goddamn I miss that shit. Also would be nice to have some beef mince chili again, added bonus without all the anus, connective tissue and faeces.

For your average meat snob just add shit to it. Literally.

Soylent green?

>professional sommeliers absolutely can distinguish all the way down to the local county where a wine was produced on a consistent basis

This is bullshit. Sure, maybe there exists a few with super taste buds but generally even professionals fail taste tests.

Humans think they're better at things than they actually are.