>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/s/ref=lp_10134_nr_n_7?fst=as:off&rh=n:283155,n:!1000,n:17,n:10134,n:10165&bbn=10134&ie=UTF8&qid=1497191609&rnid=10134
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>characters turned black in movies, white people freak out, saying "why not make new black characters?"
>meanwhile, gay people ask, "why aren't there any gay characters?"
>straight people get pissed off and say they shouldn't want it in the first place

Yeah, I guess it does make sense that gay people, women, black people, and so on, would all want to read about nothing but straight white men, right? It's not like you'd be bothered if every single fantasy book on the shelf were about a black lesbian slaying dragons and shit.

Except, oh, wait, there's a whole group of people who get mad if a story that reflects the experiences of women or minorities gets a Hugo.

Neal pls stop this.

I'm black and read over 800 sff books. Almost all of them are featuring white protagonist. Don't mean shit to me. I read Chinese, indian, women, even gay sff. I look at the story/blurb and read. I don't go looking for black protagonists and books with a bunch of black characters because I don't self insert.

I read a book like I watch a movie, pay attention and when it's over I decide if I was entertained or not. The self insert autists are the spergs that is killing sff. Harry Potter was probably the only book that I self-inserted myself into (and I had no problem imagining that I was being Harry, walking around, fucking Cho, Hermione, Ginny, even those upitty Indian twins/sisters. I knew they wanted Harry's dick because of how they behaved.

These spergs are so autistic that they can't read a book with a black main character, or if the book mentions dark skin they flip out. I can understand when they try to force the gay characters in, or if they go out their way to use pronouns, but black protagonists have been around for decades. I'm sure a lot of you pol types read and enjoyed black protag books and didn't even notice it.

fucking white supremacist right wingers amirite?? xxxdxdxdxdxdx

23 days until the No God comes back to fuck everyone's shit up

>xxxdxdxdxdxdx
What's with the reddit fagget? All I'm saying is if I can read fantasy books with 90% caucasians, then caucasians (some) shouldn't be triggered when a book they were reading reveals the protag as black. You think milky skin princesses can survive unchanged for decades in a desert?

fucking white supremacist right wingers and their fragile ego amirite xxxxdxdxdxdx

That's not the issue. The issue is that caucasians get grief for writing all caucasians as if they're the ones who have to save the world by making the world a vibrant diverse society free of hate.

>It's not like you'd be bothered if every single fantasy book on the shelf were about a black lesbian slaying dragons and shit.
1. it really isn't
2. even if I were bothered my response would be to write a fantasy book about a godly straight Aryan slaying dragons and suck up all that slack money that would be lying around, not whine that some black lesbian isn't taking advantage of the straight white market.

>Except, oh, wait, there's a whole group of people who get mad if a story that reflects the experiences of women or minorities gets a Hugo.
Who cares? Who seriously cares if someone gets mad? Even if it were true why would you get mad, unless you thought rage energizes you or something? And it isn't even true.

>These spergs are so autistic that they can't read a book with a black main character
[who?]

Probably some Veeky Forums troll they took seriously.

>Except, oh, wait, there's a whole group of people who get mad if a story that reflects the experiences of women or minorities gets a Hugo.
who are even more statistically insignificant than the group of people who get mad if a story that reflects the experiences of someone who is not a woman or minority gets a Hugo.

>It's not like you'd be bothered if every single fantasy book on the shelf were about a black lesbian slaying dragons and shit.
amazon.com/s/ref=lp_10134_nr_n_7?fst=as:off&rh=n:283155,n:!1000,n:17,n:10134,n:10165&bbn=10134&ie=UTF8&qid=1497191609&rnid=10134
knock yourself out bb

Ikr

Lurk more friend.

Read Malazan.

What the fuck is "imgoat.com"?

>there's a whole group of people who get mad if a story that reflects the experiences of women or minorities gets a Hugo.

You don't get "mad" that objectively terrible books get a Hugo when there's actually good books written by women or minorities getting completely ignored?

Convince me to do so. I really don't feel like investing in such a long series but I am pretty curious about The Black Company. Do they feel dated or do they completely hold up in this decade?

Black Company is cited by Erikson as one of the main influences on malazan. Its really good and has the best worldbuilding out of any book ever (this is a fact) lots of great characters and action and even though the books are long there honestly isn't much filler except for maybe book 8 or 9. Compared to WOT it is way superior for example in how much it achieves with the number of words. BC is a bit dated but still good.

Black Company really is better appreciated if you've served in the army. You won't get the atmosphere if you've never experienced it. Still entertaining without that though.

lol

anybody here like Lovecraft? and i aint talking about no collaborations he did, im talking about his original works.

he was pretty good, his stories read very similarly though. He obviously wrote for the cash.

yeah, his stories were pretty bland, although i love how he wasn't a stickler for having a strict canon, some of the expanded mythos stories are pretty cool.

I just finished reading Book of the New Sun for the second time. It's so incredible that I sincerely wonder why other writers are even trying anymore.

>he hasn't read unsouled

He hasn't read malazan.

>genre wolfe
i bet you haven't read his melismatic poetry, nor even a single of his ebullient essays.

gene wolfe is shit

I'm actually looking forward to reading that. Stephenson is cool, I enjoyed Seveneves. I have no idea who that other person is.

>He obviously wrote for the cash.
Did a very poor job at that, seeing as he didn't have any cash.

Isn't that a shitty anime adaptation for YA?

>muh anime
>muh YA
kill yourself

>Series based on a D&D campaign
It's a pretentious Dragon Lance

Say one good thing about Wheel of Time.

sanderson

It's makes Malazan look even better by comparison.

It has two good characters, which is two more than Malazan

I love to hate the villains.

Karsa, Icarium, Quick Ben. Ganoes. Coltaine. Rake.

Rake is like an OC written by a middle-schooler who wanted to make a super-cool character.

kek

Fair, he has depth though.

Does anyone actually mind the hugos? They havent been relevant in decades. They are the grammy of sff.

What's a good point to start for Phillip K. Dick? Also should I always read the original or can I resort to German translations? It's not that my English is bad or anything, it's just that my autism makes it really hard for me to buy English books and make the first step into a billingual library.

Yes, they drag the entire industry down so heavily large publishing companies are moving their genre fiction imprints away from SFF.

>tfw too smart to care about representation in fiction

All that really matters is what the work is actually saying.

WE WUZ KANGZ

>who wanted to make a super-cool character.
and succeeded.
Silchas, Trull, Onrack, Tool, Tavore, Yedan, etc etc etc.

>whites reading black chars
>hugos
>neal Stephenson
>gene wolfe is best
>gene wolfe is shit
>Malazan
>wot
>lovecraft
>anime
>"whitey when will they learn amirite"
>pol sneaking
>ya
Did I miss anything?

something something gays, but thats about it

you missed unsouled by will wight

Missed Wot has better characters than Mamalazn.

I will try it.
Is it as anime as his other series?

yes

*tugs braids* you sure are right *smooths skirts* better characters by far *spreads thighs*

Yeah none of them have a +5 greatsword how can they even compete

>not tugging your god braids

What's a good /sffg/ series with writing similar to Cormac McCarthy?

Aside from Karsa, those are all generic begrudging heroic characters. Felisin is an example of a good character in Malazan. All her motivations and actions make sense and isn't a "MUH HONOR" fag

If he had, he would've given up 2-3 books in because of shit story and boring characters

>What's a good point to start for Phillip K. Dick?
Probably Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep or The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick if you are more interested in short stories.

Burroughs "cities of the red night"

Its more chingchong cultivation than anime

But still pretty anime

>decide to read jumper
>muh sexism
>muh racism
>his mom gets allahu akbared
>#notallmuslims
the movie is shit but the book is even worse

I'm looking for stories that talk about the ambiguities of artificial intelligence. I've got Androids, and I've read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Hyperion, and a couple other things.

To give an idea of what I'm looking for: I'm more interested in stuff like the Dixie Flatline in Neuromancer than the robot ethics stuff in I, Robot. Like, more interested in "what even IS consciousness? is this thing 'conscious' or not?"

Totally down for schlock, or only being minor parts of a wider story, as long as the concept is neat.

Anyone happen to have any recommendations? Thanks a bunch.

I really don't understand why Sanderson's magic systems get so much praise.

Hey Veeky Forums

I'm looking for a fantasy novel with a girl protag?

Any nice ones?

fuck off

my nigga sabriel

dont read fiction if you want to learn about AI, fiction authors are woefully inaccurate and frankly harmful in their portrayal of AI. Man is not building independent spirited metal men, AI is just a way to run computers more efficiently. An AI will only "go rogue" and kill people if its programmed to do so.

Library at Mount Char is fun af lads.

>what is heuristics
>what is AI learning AI to make better AI
>implying anyone will even be able to imagine what the fuck is behind the neural networks running most automata starting 2030~.

What is this tryhard only-characters-matter faggotry?!? Malazan is epic as fuck and everything about the world Erikson has created is amazing, not to mention that it is relatively unique in the grand scheme of things, not many similar fantasy books/series. Why do some people require every book to be some kind of touching and insightful character study with flawed and empathetically deep characters featuring endless moral dilemmas and inner struggles?

I've always found world building, good story elements and interesting concepts to be equally interesting as good characters. More often than not im completely content with low-effort psychopaths and generic cardboard-cut stereotypes if aforementioned areas of the books are in check. Only thing worse than character-fags are self-insert-fags who only read specific genre fiction pieces that fit their formula.

Rake IS cool though. You just sound like a faggot who hates cool things.

>those are all generic begrudging heroic characters
What the fuck, no they aren't.

Neal Asher Agent Cormac series. Start with Shadow of teh scorpian.
1.Prador Moon
2.Shadow of the Scorpion
3.Gridlinked
4.The Line of Polity
5.Brass Man
6.Polity Agent
7.Line War
8.The Technician
9.The Skinner

>Tfw you realize Duncan was the main character in Dune all along and the Atreidias and Harkonen conflict was just a backdrop

new to Veeky Forums, can't help but notice sff threads are english-literature exclusively. You guys forbid translations or what?

Feel free to bring up whatever books you want, but this community is pretty small and dominated by English speakers, so good luck finding anyone that speaks your language.

>Russian lit - muh vrmmo
>Chinese lit- mug 10000 year cultivation pill
>euro sffg -praise allah PBUH

I'm pretty sure I mentioned translations.

>euro sffg -praise allah PBUH

Specifics?

I'm pretty sure we mention Lem, the Strugatskies, and the Witcher guy pretty regularly.

I'm going to be trying to sell my novel after polishing it, and this trend has concerned me a little bit. technically every single character in the book is a descendant from chinese colonists, but I make no mention of race, little of hue, and there are no significant female characters. this kind of thing isn't unpublishable right now, is it? might just be being paranoid because I spend too much time around here.

I'm a little bitch and didn't want to start a thread for this. I desperately need the passage from a 40k book describing chaos overtaking their ship. It was beautiful, and I can't find it and never copied it because I'm a little bitch. Help me please, Veeky Forums.

Orson Scott Card published a novel where the majority of characters were black Brazilians, won a Hugo and Nebula for it, and is now absolute persona non grata with little children throwing rocks at him because he believes the same thing about gay marriage as Brandon Sanderson. It doesn't matter what you write, it matters who you suck up to.

probably have better luck in Veeky Forums 40k generals.

And what does Sanderson believes about gay marriage?

I know he's a mormon autist, but he doesn't seem like a huge bigot from his books.

He believes that marriage should just be straight because that's what his church teaches, he made a blog post pretty much apologizing for his beliefs and promising to never bring them up again so his handlers are fine.

OSC doesn't seem like a huge bigot from his books. He actually has more and better female characters than Sanderson. He just didn't shut up when they told him to shut up, so now he's practically forgotten and Sanderson gets to not only get published but be the token anti-gay marriage guy they bring up when challenged about being political absolutists.

(they = pic related)

Hey, where is Patrick Rothfuss in this? He's one of the up and coming authors in fantasy! Not only has he produced too critically acclaimed novels, but he's also produced numerous deep criticism about the state of modern fiction. How could such an important figure be left out?!

He didn't get Doors of Stone out in time so they baked him into the cake.

>tfw two of the modern Big Three fantasy authors haven't published anything in ten years and the other one is Sanderson

My god, the amount of autism in that room.

Why do they look so sad? Shouldn't fantasy/scifi authors be optimistic, whimsical sages with a twinkle in their eye?

Only the ones who can take pride on their work would look like that. Everyone in that room knows deep down that they're surrounded by hacks and in the company that they deserve.

Does anybody actually recognize a single face in this image?

>Doors of Stone
What does a publisher do when an author just stops working? What does he do? What could their relationship be like at this point? Will anybody even buy the damn thing?

Reminds me of how somebody once criticized David Drake's stories for being "unrealistic" in their depictions of soldiers and combat. (Drake served in Vietnam and was a intelligence officer in a armored cavalry unit.)

Publisher is fucked basically. In many cases they give authors HUGE advances for their books because they are counting on them selling a lot, but that can bite them in the ass when the author decides they don't have to work anymore.

Couldn't the publisher just sue them if it gets that bad?

That's a last resort, after your working relationship has totally broken down and it's clear the author has no intention of ever working with you again. Because once you go that far it's over. They're done. You will never again get a golden egg from that goose. So they are being patient hoping eventually he'll shit out another golden egg for them. The real downside is it has probably made publishers a lot more leery of jumping on up and coming authors. They are going to be less trusting and less whole-hog about throwing money at anyone promising.