In your opinion, what are the most important developments going on right now in:

In your opinion, what are the most important developments going on right now in:

>Mathematics

>Physics

>Chemistry

>pic unrelated
>Biology

>Engineering (any type)

>Any other fields of endeavor you think are important

Attached: image.png (500x250, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

metafilter.com/146907/My-gender-exists-in-some-sort-of-quantum-state
beliefinstitute.com/blog/stephen-pirie/quantum-physics-gender
themaven.net/transgenderuniverse/articles/gender-fluid-the-quantum-and-the-binary-3jU4oEXc80q_j4_XSXYNgg
powermag.com/trump-budget-backs-nuclear-coal-cuts-funding-for-renewables/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>Mathematics
Langlands program
IUT

>>Physics
String theory

>>Any other fields of endeavor you think are important
Quantum computing

Chemistry

>Sociology
The deconstruction of the bellicosity of the caucasian male. In particular how that complex has had negative impacts on non-caucasian populations, and indeed causes aggressional waves to propagate within those communities.

This is something I'm currently researching, we're using a degendered Schrodinger equation (normal just referred to as the quantum wave equation in the literature) to model the waves in the community, with each white male represents a quantum of aggression.

I'm researching what make these cats so angry, so that's pretty important.

Attached: 1520770297360.webm (500x500, 2.73M)

>>Chemistry
C-H functionalization. Reactions at unactivated C-H bonds are definitely the next big thing. Also carbene and transition metal carbenoid chemistry

Goatse engineering is making wide openings in a variety of applications. Of course there will always be gaping holes between theory and practice in this field, but it's not a stretch to say that it holds ever expanding promise. It's such a cavernous research area with plenty of room for new entrants to continue making significant contributions.

Physics:
>nuclear fusion
it could reshape the energy scene once trump and republican majority are gone.
>nanoscale research
the ability to manipulate individual atoms will have major consequences. we are in for a whole new field of engineering with massive possibilities

those are the big ones. materials, specifically polymers, is another big field right now.

the theoretical stuff has slowed to a crawl and theres just a lot of wankery in it now. string theory, qauntum gravity etc have no physical results

wtf does Trump have to do with the energy mix in a fusion capable world? Not a fan of the guy either, but the sheer market forces in that situation would be overwhelming. I know, "beautiful clean coal" and all, but fusion would brush that aside in a heartbeat.

>Inter-universal Teichmüller theory
IUT is a meme

And can't be accepted unless it's explained in a way simple enough such as many math fags can comprehend and understand it

Attached: images(16).jpg (500x613, 20K)

>Aerospace Engineering
Elon Musk senpai trying to go to Mars

>Structural & Mechanical Engineering
3D printing with metallic powder and carbon fiber

>Computer Engineering
Nvidia new generation of Graphic Video Cards. Advances in Cgi, computer processing power, AI & Machine learning

>Electrical Engineering
The (very slow) advances in Robotics

Material Science
The (very slow) progress in Nanotechnology. Graphene & carbon nanotubes.

Biology - Biochemistry
CRISPR.

Biology - Neurology
Conectome (Computer simulation of Brain)
Cultivating Brainlets (lumps of brain cells) in Lab.

Gender Studies

Quantum Gender Fluid Mechanics

Where the Schrodinger Fag can be both Staight and Gay at same time.

metafilter.com/146907/My-gender-exists-in-some-sort-of-quantum-state

beliefinstitute.com/blog/stephen-pirie/quantum-physics-gender

themaven.net/transgenderuniverse/articles/gender-fluid-the-quantum-and-the-binary-3jU4oEXc80q_j4_XSXYNgg

Attached: images(17).jpg (512x512, 23K)

Those arn't cats you dumb mother(the game)fucker.

The point of a theory is to explain some phenomena.
IUT could be 100% accurate but if it can't explain itself adequately it's garbage.
for example, say I have a machine verifiable proof for the square root of 2 being irrational but then I encrypt it is it still a proof? No it's gibberish.

trump is beholden to big coal/oil as are the vast majority of republicans. coal is completely unnecessary. its inefficient and wasteful. natural gas is over 5x more efficent, renewables even moreso although renewables are expensive so i can at least understand the hesitation. there shouldnt be any hesitation with gas. its abundant, cheap, efficient and with the right regulations its the obvious best option.

when fusion is able to be developed on a mass scale, you will see republicans oppose it more relentlessly than abortion. scare tactics about nuclear meltdown will be worse than the fearmongering about gun control now.

additionally, republicans have obliterated the research and university funding (fun fact: over 50% of republicans have a negative view of higher education) budgets. imagine where we'd be if every physics program in the us except the ivys/uc schools werent reduced to 40% of their previous budget.

> I know, "beautiful clean coal" and all, but fusion would brush that aside in a heartbeat.

not if the fusion lobby cant outspend the coal lobby. the coal lobby has a monstrous grip on republicans+conservative democrats

>Chemistry
This within the field of catalytics
Also, homogenous iron catalysis for ammonia production

Materials chemistry-
Triplet-Triplet up-conversion for use in OPVDs
Organic based transistors
OLED technology not reliant on PGMs

Nanochemistry-
Molecular machines (pseudo)rotaxanes, switchable catalysts

Almost perfect, but
>plenty of room for new entrants to continue making significant contributions
should say "making seminal contributions"

Attached: chempubeng5high.jpg (993x1382, 208K)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

fuck yeah, why do you think so? This is what im doing with platinum complexes

That's ridiculous. Anti-nuclear hysteria is endemic to the Democrats.

Those are dogs bro. Problem solved.

wtf is goatse engineering

>goatse engineering
Goatse + Math and stuff

>Blue Brain Project or Human Brain Project
Computational Neuroscience which tries to realistically simulate the behaviour of neurons and brain.

There are antinuclear democrats. Things to consider: 1 its not widespread or extreme enough to be hysteria. whereas it is not hyperbole to say the majority of republicans are bought and paid for by the coal lobby. remember that betsy devos said herself that the wealthy expect to see returns on paying off politicians
2 nuclear fusion and fission are different. there are valid reasons to be againt fission. the waste and the relatively (to fusion) unstable process. chain reactions in fusion essentially dont exist since they are controllable

>liberals actually believe trump is what is preventing the production of unlimited energy by nuclear fusion...

>"""""fusion lobby"""""" YOURE FUCKING DEALING WITH UNLIMITED ENERGY DO YOU THINK AMERICA WOULD SET THAT ASIDE IF FUCKING ONE OTHER COUNTRY ADOPTED IT, NO THATS THE MMOST SURE WAY TO BE LEFT OUT OF THE FUTURE

when you feel "revved up" and the need to write propaganda in replies instead of responding to or making a coherent argument, stop yourself in the moment, take a break then come back in 10 minutes with an objective answer that doesnt include hyperbole (unlimited energy), trying to use "liberal" as a slander/virtue signal, and making points that arent thought out and disregard what youre responding to ("republicans wont be left out of the future!" while theyre platform right now is to return to the past).

Trump was expanded nuclear capability in his energy plan retard. Republitards, saddly, are the only ones willing yo go back to nuclear.

>good ol schrodinger troll
10/10

I love watching the great potential of this thread slowly give way to political buzzwords and shitposts.

right now nuclear means nuclear fission. which is not a good energy source. so if you want to "expand nuclear", you increase funds into fusion research at DOE and universities. instead, trump has proposed slashing those precise things.

that is also a curious definition of "expand" seeing as how he is deregulating nuclear's top competitors and trying to get utilities to use coal. opening up our coastlines to drilling which is disastrous for multiple reasons. just doing everything he can to boost coal first and foremost. it hasnt been the nuclear lobby walking into rick perrys office like they own it.

btw how are those promised nuclear subsidies coming along? you can go to the white house website and read the articles yourself. coal, coal, coal, oil, oil.

This has been happening to a lot of threads across Veeky Forums lately.

You said "once Trump and Republicans are gone we can reshape our energy scene with Nuclear Fusion".
You have proved yourself a fool, not worthy of being replied to seriously.

If/when nuclear fusion ever significantly passes its break-even point, there will still be people who think of it as tantamount to fission in terms of its dangers, and to be fair they wouldn't be that far off. A magnetic reconnection gone wrong or a a loss of containment could have devastating consequences.

Protip: Nuclear fusion is never happening. It's not a matter of research funding.
Get your head out of your ass and come up with actual plans for the future.

I'm not denying your claims about coal, but saddly, nuclear is thrown as being as dangerous as fossil fuels and so republicans are the only ones who can try and bring it up powermag.com/trump-budget-backs-nuclear-coal-cuts-funding-for-renewables/ There's no fucking way any democrat would dream of proposing a nuclear plan as for some reason it's not pro environment.

How's high school going?

>t. would be geocentrist

>the game

fuggg I lost

Attached: autismo.jpg (480x410, 24K)

t. not an oldfag

Not OP All the same, say I want to functionalize the two position on pyridine.
This will require a generalized organolithium in stoichiometric quantities. Anything done stoichiometrically is costly, and organolithiums are relatively expensive [using t-butyllithium requires two equivalents, further pushing costs].
Additionally, while deprotonation at the two position is kinetically favoured, the four position is thermodynamically favored.

The long and short of it is this: the rational design of C-H activation catalysts adhere to the principles of green chemistry that posit catalytic reactions are more sustainable than reactions using stoichiometric quantities. I think of sustainability in terms of cost effectiveness (how many times can we do this reaction with a given amount of capital) as well as the classical muh environment.

Astronomy
Flat Earth Theory

Attached: Flat Earth.jpg (474x474, 78K)

You said it better than I would have.
Cost-effectiveness is a big driver of interest in this field and kind of bridges the gap between industry and academia and invites more (albeit still quite limited) collaboration between the two. Flow reactors using immobilized, highly selective C-H activation catalysts are particularly attractive as safer, cheaper, and greener alternatives to batch reactors, and microscale versions of these on chips are likely how we would do most of our process chemistry in space or if we were to >muh mars colonies.
Have you guys been to the CCHF annual conferences? You should definitely go if you're working in a related field, present a poster or a talk.

>mathematics
Computer science

The most important developments are the Hushed Whisper type. You don't hear people discussing them too much.

Pure academic ones include

Reconceptualization of dimensional space.

Reevaluation of mathematics's foundations.

Applied ones include

Self learning AI

Surviving and Adapting to Ecological Collapse.

Sometime, in my guess, in the next 50 to 500 years or so the academic developments will produce work so staggeringly mind changing it will make the Development of Abstract Thought look like the Theory of Relativity.

The applied developments will radically change society in a manner equivalent to the evolution of Modern Humans, although in a much shorter time frame.

Jesus Christ, its pretty obvious what is making those cats so angry. You are a dog.