What languages are you learning or have learnt in order to read works in that language?

What languages are you learning or have learnt in order to read works in that language?

I'm learning French at the moment to read Proust and other writers.

Other urls found in this thread:

feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

and how is it coming along op? can you read even a full sentence yet?

I'm learning to read Latin, half way through wheelock's Latin.

Coming along great. Reading the news most days and I'm reading L'Étranger at the moment.

Why did you start?

I'm learning Latin at a slow pace, also using Wheelock's latin, with the intent of reading Ovid and Virgil.

How are you coming along in it?

I've barely started and I have a long way to go.

>I'm learning Latin at a slow pace, also using Wheelock's latin, with the intent of reading Ovid and Virgil.

unless you're doing a grad degree in classics this is an amazing waste of time. i grew up with a kid who taught himself to be pretty fluent in latin as a teen, it got him into a really elite private high school, but then when he went to college he failed out freshman year because other than reading old scrolls he couldn't hang at a top ten uni

Pas OP mais oui, je passe mon bac aussi dans 4 jours, j'aime tout sauf la poesie putain..

After I graduated university I began having a reoccurring nightmare that I was still in school and was neglecting one or two of my courses (usually a humanities or language course), and was about to fail them and kill my GPA. On analyzing this reoccurring dream I decided that it may be caused by either a neglect of the humanities (took engineering in school) or a lack of learning in general now that I was out of school.
I have always like reading and have continually read fairly good literature since I was a child, so I knew simply reading more was not going to help.
I heard that Latin was easy to get the basics of, but was very hard to master; which is a good for having a continual learning curve.
I have always been interested in Rome and ancient Greece and particularly their literature and poetry (i also believe poetry cannot be properly translated).

Dream hasn't come back in about 6 months now btw (used to happen once every 2-3 weeks)

sounds p gay but at least ur not learning japanese

I like it. It's surprising how often Latin comes up in everyday life and especially in literature.
Even though it's almost always translated in current editions or can be translated using the internet instantly, I'm not doing it for utilitarian reasons.

Je suis tout à fait d'accord avec toi. Je n'aime pas la poésie aussi sauf Baudelaire. J'aime Les Fleurs du Mal.

Learning German.

I think I've seen a book posted on here sometime about a book that teaches German only for reading. Anyone has any clue?

Hehe j'ai Baudelaire comme lecture analytique pour l'oral.
Tu a deja passer ton bac?

Je fais mon Bac en ce moment! Je finirai mon Bac à environ la fin de juin. Pourtant j'espère continuer mes études en français à l'université.

Est-ce que tu veux continuer tes études aussi?

Pardon, plus precisement le bac de francais, si je comprendre bien tu es en Terminal?
Scientifique? Litteraire?
Et oui, je veux aussi, mais le francais est tres difficile, l'ecrit notamment :(

Oh non non non. Je suis vraiment désolée. Je ne suis pas français mais je serais en terminal de mon pays.

I know Greek, Polish and English.
I think that I will keep fixing and filling my holes on these three until I die.

I learned italian. I've only read a book on astrology by some Ciro Discepolo, which 60 pages in turned into a warning for the apocalypse. Apparently, the world is ridden with cancer and we're just waiting to get it.

I'm learning sanskrit now; though i might leave it for later and focus on french or german

learning German too, just to be able to watch every Fassbinder movie and focus on the image without reading any subs.

I'd love to find that book

I want learn German to read Rilke and my autistic philosophers-

Never made any actual

Holy shit, are you me?

I started with Italian astrology books by Fulvio Mocco - pure poetry.

Sanskrit is another kettle of fish though.

thankfully I read French and German already.

trying persian so i can read the poetry.

good luck with sanskrit

sandhi rules just piss me off no end. (already been a year or more now)

on classical chinese so I can read the poetry

>Greek and Polish
more like fixing and filling potholes amirite

torn between learning French or German, French because I think it's a beautiful language, I had French (deceased) grandparents and I think it's a more interesting country. Also it's the traditional second language for anglos
I'd learn German because of all their philosophers and I have a lot of respect for the German volk

I've got my French up to C1 level mostly so I can access quality academic research on North African studies. Everything in English is a big circlejerk between half a dozen authors.

i have the exact same dream but it's usually about Math or any other random subject. I am almost 30 now and i still have it. It's a fucking nightmare. I don't know what to do. I live in Fuckallistan and there's no such thing as therapy here.

how long does it take to get c1?

French, also for Proust, the god

When I was running the other day I came upon a huge book of Rimbaud poems so I'm gonna brush up on my French to read them.

I've really wanted to learn italian to reread Calvino's Invisible Cities. He seems to care a lot about how things sound, so I'm sure there's a whole other dimension to appreciate in the original language.

Français aussi

Finished all the French units in Mango Languages, currently making my way through The Ultimate French Review and Practice. Just started trying out some of the articles and things from RFI Savoirs

I'm learning Hebrew at the moment for academic purposes, I'd never imagine that writing and reading from the right to the left would feel so weird.

learning Russian but thas so I can rule the world with my buddy pootin, n we will have all the times to make books and read thems

he'll make you his Golden Boy

>je passe mon bac aussi dans 4 jours
>j'aime tout sauf la poesie putain
>Je n'aime pas la poésie aussi sauf Baudelaire
Veeky Forums in the nutshell

What's wrong?

>learning a language for pleasure is a waste of time because it doesn't help you be a soulless hedgefund yuppie

same thing

picked french because I have a base in French from high school so it was the easiest to get back into. Sick of being a monolingual brainlet.

I dunno, why not figure out what you want to do while you're alive, and do it? People quit 6 figure jobs on Wall St.

Idea that learning old languages is incompatible with being productive is BS too. I know a successful guy who taught himself ancient Greek, Latin and Hebrew.

German for Reading by Karl C Sandberg?

I'm working on Japanese, about a month in

I learned languages before but this one is a motherfucker. Not worth doing unless you're really committed or a huge weeb. I'm really enjoying it though.

I have a bilingual edition that's really nice -
even if the translations are kind of bad for the most part. It's really helpful because Rimbaud (and poetry in general) can be quite challenging if you're not 100% fluent

Definitely. Calvino is really good in Italian. I read Il Barone Rampante a while ago and it's pretty magical. I can't even imagine how it would sound in English.

>all these people wasting their time learning useless languages instead of learning STEM
You will regret this.

>being this insecure about being monolingual

I already speak the only language worth knowing. All people worth dealing with speak this language

nice bait

Studying Russian. Shitshow of a learning curve but after another few months in Russia, I imagine being able to comfortably tackle most Russian lit, albeit needing more help from a dictionary as it goes further toward the 19th century. Feels pretty good being able to read Chekhov decently though.

Фeвpaль. Дocтaть чepнил и плaкaть!
Пиcaть o фeвpaлe нaвзpыд,
Пoкa гpoхoчyщaя cлякoть
Becнoю чepнoю гopит.

Дocтaть пpoлeткy. Зa шecть гpивeн,
Чpeз блaгoвecт, чpeз клик кoлec,
Пepeнecтиcь тyдa, гдe ливeнь
Eщe шyмнeй чepнил и cлeз.

Гдe, кaк oбyглeнныe гpyши,
C дepeвьeв тыcячи гpaчeй
Copвyтcя в лyжи и oбpyшaт
Cyхyю гpycть нa днo oчeй.

Пoд нeй пpoтaлины чepнeют,
И вeтep кpикaми изpыт,
И чeм cлyчaйнeй, тeм вepнee
Cлaгaютcя cтихи нaвзpыд.

Чтo этo? )

Pick up Feynman's lectures on physics and do your best. It will ease you into the very interesting subjects of Math and Physics and it's free on caltech's site. That is, if you have the time to try to do what that other user did.

here goes the link:
feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Pasternak's poem February