Are picaresque novels the only good thing that came out of spanish literature?

Are picaresque novels the only good thing that came out of spanish literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/ebooks/437
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I came out of spanis hliterature

thats right kids

i am a book AMA

How do your characters feel about you?

Truly epic hahahhahah xD Laughing my heck off fella

>Don Quixote
>picaresque

Try not being a retard before spouting retarded shit

Although maybe not fully picaresque, the Quijote is a bridge between the picaresque and the modern novel. Let's not forget that Cervantes wrote Rinconete and Cortadillo as well.

>What was El Cid

What's the matter? Too much of a pleb to understand the works of the writers of Generation of '98?

Don Quixote isn't a picaresque.

>Don Quixote
>not picaresque

>main character v. society
>largely comic in nature
>satire on society
>focuses on his adventures
>largely devoid of a traditional plot

No. You also have Spanish Golden Age and Enlightenment drama (de Molina, de la Cruz), the Romantics (Quintana), realists (Valdes), etc.

he's not a picaro. he's a knight errant, you mong.

glad to see someone who likes Lazarillo De Tormes. that's my favorite book, despite the ending.

Spanish are half sandniggers so I'm not surpriced there is not much to read.

i had a revelation a while back. there are videogames called roguelikes. ADOM, Nethack, Angband. these were based specifically on the source game rogue. many of the same properties. then, games such as the binding of isaac, FTL, rogue legacy came along, and they were called the same, roguelikes. this was a topic of contention to the fans of the original games. the genre was being trivialized and becoming meaningless, as mere parts of the whole were considered enough to give them the label.

move over to picaresques. picaro, rogue, esque, essentially meaning "like" or "similar", the same thing is happening. books based on the source of Lazarillo, but not having the same parts of the whole, eventually the word just became a bookseller, a buzzword. the few true picaresques that are not Lazarillo would be El Buscon, Guzman De Alfarache, and despite it being a much later work and french, Gil Blas could be considered of the same genre, though Gil may not be considered a picaro.

rogue-likes
picaresques
history repeats itself in far more literal ways than is sometimes expected.

It's always a pleasure to be so surprised y something like this

>he isn't fulfilling the role of a picaro via his delusions
M8 pls

What is Life Is Dream?

A FUCKING PICARO IS A ROGUE.

Don Quixote is NEVER a rogue, a fool, a dangerous fool, but he's NEVER a rogue. a rogue steals at will to survive, he tricks others through cunning and enterprise, typically to get food or precious things. Don Quixote was incredibly chivalrous and horrifyingly delusional. He is a knight errant. not a rogue.

The contents of La Vida Es Sueño have been treated before, and way better, in Dante's Purgatory.

Too bad in the other half of the millennium they've been the most christian country in Europe.

But picaresque novels aren't generally very good either. I suspect many people praise them because they like the concept and haven't read any.

Sancho shares some with the rogue archetype

perhaps, but the title of the story is Don Quixote, not Sancho Panza, you twit.
>picaresques aren't good
ah, so you're a scoundrel.

Reminder that the Germans have the best picaresque novel

a filthy candidesque.

technically, it being written 100 years before candide, candide is simplicimesque(sp?)

Not even similar in any way though

good point.

Sancho is the main character in part II, fight me
>>picaresques aren't good
Picaresques from the original spanish 16-17c era are no good.

you're trash m8. if you think sancho was the main character you lack the mental fortitude to enjoy a brilliant work such as Lazarillo.

El Lazarillo is fantastic and so is El Buscón. Also El burlador de Sevilla has picaresque elements and it basically spawned a universal archtype

And you don't say science-fiction novels are good just because you liked Jules Verne, the majority of picaresques are still cheap genre garbage.
Spanish scholars can't handle their own literature either then :^)

Well, that happens to mostly every genre. Picaresque was the shit then, so it's only natural than 90% was shit, same as 90% of scifi or fantasy is irredeemable shit.

pleb. the genre is so specific that there are very few picaresques to begin with. those are all spectacular works. sci-fo is a very broad genre, so much so that it has sub-genres. stop shitting up the thread, you faggot.

It's spelled picturesque you pretentious faggots

read gongora

So hard to know if people are being genuinely retarded or just trolling

this one is too charged over something slight, so its probably a troll

either way hes still genuinely retarded

Is there an English ePub/mobi translation of Lazarillo?

Bumping for hope

gutenberg.org/ebooks/437

enjoy my dear friend!

So you are saying that Ulysses is a bilgdunsroman because Joyce wrote A Portrait?

OK kid