What I don't get about hardtack is why couldn't they have added anything to it to make it taste better...

What I don't get about hardtack is why couldn't they have added anything to it to make it taste better. Would it have killed them to added paprika, or oregano?

Unless you eat military rations outside war time like a complete autist, I don't see how this affects you in the slightest.

Then they'd have to adjust every other part of the meal to fit the herbs.

too expensive for a military that could funnel that money into gunpowder and ships, and flavor is unnecessary for subsistence food
the point of hardtack is to last for long periods of time and keep people alive, not provide a culinary experience

Because it's not comfort food in the first place and any additions increase chances of spoilage. Also, military people literally have no souls, so they only need basic sustenance.

It was usually used as a thickener for stews and soups

When you're talking mass quantities of food funded by taxes, spices aren't even considered. Would you rather spend $500m on feeding your troops or $750m?

Hardtack was the field and navy ration to white western soldiers and sailors so it makes perfect sense. If they had used even a splash of mild paprika there could have been a revolt or mutiny, or at the very least an inability to fight due to incapacitation from the spiciness.

>military people literally have no souls
t. soyboy

>Military
>Navy

Forget to mention that hardtack was also purchased by civilian (((merchant))) vessels, where every shanghai sailor or penny saved in resupplying was a penny earned

>>>/global/rules/3

Veeky Forums is going to hell because people like you.

It's far too late. Veeky Forums moderators have issued punishment for less obvious and malicious racism, so I do hope this is also moderated. You either moderate racism, or you don't moderate racism.

>What I don't get about hardtack is why couldn't they have added anything to it to make it taste better. Would it have killed them to added paprika, or oregano?
I believe another user already mentioned this, but the issue is that this is survival food, and the introduction of any other substance increases the chance that mold and other bad things have a chance to flourish in the food.

>Veeky Forums moderators have issued punishment for less obvious and malicious racism
I have literally never seen any post on any board busted for racism.

Not him but I used to get banned every week for retaliating to hurr white ppl threads with images of niggers eating dirt cookies, monkeys, cow shit and other niggers

Fuck off rulefag. Global Rule 3 is a fucking gayass rule anyway. Basically No fun allowed: the rule

paprika is literally a European spice though

Every upper tier military spends a shit ton of money on improving rations. They know how it affects morale, especially when the situation is dire anyway.
>an army marches on its stomach

If you want hardtack tasty go get some faggy elf bread.

probably because niggers only eat dirt cakes after hurricanes wreck their entire country and all food production has been wrecked by being literally demolished, while whitey does shit like put ketchup on burnt steaks as a matter of course

>military people literally have no souls,
can confirm, im only part time and what little soul i have seems shunned and suppressed

>soyboy
sounds sexy

You bully

this
its for american soldiers not actual people, who cares what they eat

Hardtack was a way of preserving flour, adding anything else, even salt cut down on it's shelf life because it attracted moisture which led to mold.