Isn't it more ethical to make citizens pass a test before they can freely vote?

Isn't it more ethical to make citizens pass a test before they can freely vote?

You wouldn't let people drive without passing a vigorous driving test. I think it's pretty dangerous to let just anybody vote if they don't understand what their vote means and its consequences.

But that's not democracy user
It's not a perfect system but I think a test is too risky - it could prevent certain classes from voting, those in power could manipulate it, etcetera.

Because dats rayciss

I agree with you but imagine the outrage that would follow. The reason voting rights are universal is so that people get the illusion that they're in control, which keeps them from complaining (as much).

Who gets to design and grade the test?

The whole concept of voting is flawed. We have people who have devoted their lives to providing the best solutions to our biggest problems, and they are already being consulted by the decision makers. What would voting do besides give people the power to make the wrong decision?

Our leaders are already making the best decisions possible. Maybe not depending on what you think the purpose of our Western Civilization is. If you look at the highest goal of our society as making everyone within it as wealthy as possible, regardless of whether they deserve it or not, then yes, the system is a horrible failure.

I myself view the main purpose of our policy making as maintaining a global balance of power in order to prevent the apocalyptic catastrophe that would be World War Three. Viewed through that lens, our decision makers are doing a marvelous job. And it's no small job, either.

tl;dr: don't worry about politics

Hence the UK's minority government atm and their Brexit (many leave supporters were fed false information). Absolute shitshow. If there was a test established, it could encourage voters to become more active in their search for information for who to vote for rather than lazy fucks relying solely on false news and advice shared through social media.

The voters

>more ethical
what did he mean by this?

Circular reasoning

no one will decide to give themselves less power over government en masse. be fucking pleased that there's an age limit to voting.

>more better

Or, hold on a second. Make education standards higher and stop diluting it with subjective analysis and then perhaps people won't necessarily think they're right even when they don't know what they're talking about.

While we're at it, kill off social media and all the new technology that makes people's brains constantly function like they're on coke. Good luck to the children of this generation, btw.

Ain't happening is it? Nothing personal, kid.

British schooling standards are shit. We should have the equivalent of what I assume are civics classes in the US that teaches us about how democracy and politics works. Most people have or had literally zero idea about the EU and as such being asked to vote on it was absurd. The Conservative government deserve being taken out back and shot for that one. Starting with David Cameron.

>Just educate the problems out of society

You always know you're dealing with an 18th century mind when you hear tired shit like this

>my side lost so the system failed

But if you raise standards, some students will fail which might damage their self-esteem. We can't have that.

The system failed because a lot of people on both sides didn't know what they were voting for. We're not all competitive /pol/tards.

Agreed, a lot of people who voted remain were cowed by outrageous scaremongering rather than being acually informed on the issue.

>everyone except me is uninformed

A test shouldn't be established but politics should be taught more thoroughly in school. It should be taught that a voter has the right to choose which party they follow, but that they should be encouraged to be evaluative of other parties as well as their own and that they should be open to persuasion too rather than voting solely to support your home team (which is seriously a mentality that must stop).

> conservative politicians such as Boris Johnston outright lied about the amount of money which would go to the NHS to persuade people to vote for leave

There's a point where people really need to research for themselves what the fuck the EU maintained rather than assuming everywhere outside of the UK is where the smelly brown people belong.

theresa may said before her campaign she would stand down if the tories lost 6 seats

they lost 12 and corbyn should be prime minister

this is true btw, theresa may is a mega cunt and a coward

thanks, grey vote fucks

I don't understand how that isn't damning for labour, they ran against one of the most incompetent campaigns in British history and they only gained a handful of seats? In past elections Labour would've completely reversed the situation and won a majority.

Because Corbyn would turn the UK into a mosque run by the IRA and also let ISIS get tax breaks m-m-m-muh fearmongering.

What Corbyn did succeed in was motivate and unite the youth against a tory government. They're very close to success and I think if Corbyn is able to run another campaign after this term - when more of the youth are legally allowed to vote - then I believe he could destroy his competition.

It is an example of the young leading for the future. A labour government will be inevitable.

Why doesn't the voting process work solely on the largest amount of votes wins?

>politics should be taught more thoroughly in school
Absolutely fucking not!
I don't know where you grew up in, but it's very clear you've never dealt with teens that think that they have figured out the whole world.
I had this one douche in high school who would do nothing but ramble about his conspiracy theories at every given occasion. He would interrupt my philosophy teacher mid-lesson, ask his opinion on Freemasonry, call him disrespectful for not replying and then instantly look at the phone while browsing shitty facebook memes.
Introducing political discussion in school would give these idiots a microphone to be even louder. Normalfags would do nothing but passively assimilating the first thing they'd hear i.e most likely the opinions of these idiots.

>We have people who have devoted their lives to providing the best solutions to our biggest problems

We don't, people who dedicate their lives like this live on $130k/yr who little-to-no pressure to produce practical results. Political philosophers and political scientists get absolutely destroyed in debates against real politicians.

He hasn't dealt with high school teachers as a adult either, they are wildly emotional and dogmatic with none of the talent of expertise to back it up.

i read your first sentence thinking you were unironic and was very confused by the rest of your post

>Our leaders are already making the best decisions possible.
Kek, hell no!

What would Plato do, user?

>when more of the youth are legally allowed to vote - then I believe he could destroy his competition.
People have literally been saying this since ancient Rome.

>our leaders are making the best decisions possible
>don't worry about politics
I've never seen a more deluded post in my life. A glance at a large number of European countries shows that you are very wrong.

WOW GREAT LITERATURE THREAD GUYS

IM SURE GLAD WE'RE TALKING ABOUT LITERATURE ON Veeky Forums

fucking sage and report, fuck off back to /pol/

The youth should never have a say in politics, what do they know about anything? Sure, you might say well if they can go to war, shouldn't they be able to vote? To that I say no! Going to war doesn't require life experience, only a will to destroy. At 30 years old a person is generally well grounded, and understands the dynamics of life. 30 is a much more reasonable minimum voting age.

Explain further.

Because because outside of major cities deserve to be represented too.

Says the guy who probably doesn't read anyways, just likes to feel relevant.

i have literally read more than everyone else on this degenerate board

fuck off back to /r9k/ or /mu/ or whatever other shitty board you come from

Trash literature doesn't count, kiddo.

Depends on whether or not the uneducated individual is considered to be investing into the Government's authority.
In the early Athenian Democracy, only Men could vote, but all Men were also obligated to serve in the domestic Military to some degree, which was considered the factor that legitimized their voting power, for example.

So if it can be reasonably demonstrated that the uneducated are not investing in the authority of their Government, justification exists for ending their suffrage.

Of course this becomes much less clean a delineation when one gets around to dealing with tax laws and etc. In terms Politics its also usually not a good idea to limit the rights of a sizeable percentage of your population.

>all this projecting

>fuck off back to /r9k/ or /mu/ or whatever other shitty board you come from

Education is not simply about providing information.

You can't even project properly. I hate /r9k/ and I despise all forms of music, kiddo. What a fucking chump you are.

> implying politics doesn't go hand-in-hand with philosophy
> implying politics and philosophy isn't literature

use your containment board faggot

>You wouldn't let people drive without passing a vigorous driving test
Most people who pass the driving test still shouldn't be allowed to drive, desu

THIS IS A LITERATURE BOARD
GOD
DAMN
MOOOOOOOOODS DO YOU F*CKING JOB

I can agree with this. The amount of drivers I see with piss-poor driving skills (i.e. not giving priority to pedestrians, beeping their horn to make them move quicker; drivers beeping at other cars ahead even though the lights are red; doing 50-60 in 30mph zones; modifying their cars so they're not road legal and then wondering why they keep getting pulled over [and the garages telling them these modifications are road legal should be shut down too]; etc). This kind of shit infuriates me: as a learner driver, I know I'll make mistakes on the road but I'd rather drive slowly and safely than like an utter cunt.

> tfw living in a region where you know most people are driving without a license and there isn't the police funding to crack down on these drivers

You have to filter the votes. In a parliamentary system a lot the votes would be diffused among minor parties and it would be nearly impossible for one party to have a majority of seats (without coalitions, obviously), resulting in an unstable government.

So because you came across one loud idiot (and probably teachers that weren't real authority figures to you) nobody should be taught about politics? If you don't teach people while they are in school, you think they will learn such things by themselves?
Here's my story instead: in my class there was a neo-fascist guy and we had politics and economy classes held by a clearly leftist woman. How did the classes go? Perfectly fine, because in some places professors aren't wankers and children are taught basic manners. The failure of the system in your case isn't an argument against teaching about politics.

sounds like you'd like being a cop

Not about cars but bikes are a public menace.
>Be driving through congested 5-way intersection
>Kid on bike with no helmet and seat almost kissing asphalt riding on side of road
>I hit a red light that turns green just in time for him to go through the intersection without stopping and ending up ahead of me
>There's what I think was an undercover cop car driving behind me
>Pass kid again after intersection, he's fucking texting
>One hand on handlebars, feet scraping the road, texting
>No bike lane or sidewalk
>mfw this sort of shit is permitted to happen

I blame the law for this honestly. I absolutely can not reason out why bikes are forced on the roads instead of just using the god damn sidewalk. I mean you did say there was no sidewalk in that particular situation but I'm absolutely positive 70% of accidents involving bikes and vehicles wouldn't happen if they were simply forced onto the sidewalk instead. Seriously those fucking bikers swerve all over the fucking place and change speed completely at random. You absolutely cannot tell when some stupid kid or ssome homeless fuck will just feel like crossing the road.

The only people handing out doctorates are existing doctors. Why wouldn't it work with voters and votership?

So mods don't actually exist here

You could standardize it across every single state for presidential elections and have a board which reviews the questions which would be non-partisan and not governmentally affiliated outside of reviewing the test to make sure the questions are very basic tests of "intelligence"

You think the current doctorate system works?

When discussing whether a certain action is ethical or not, that can lead to philosophical discussion which is accepted on Veeky Forums.

>make shitty /pol/ thread
>HURR ITS PHILOSOPHICAL

kys

>this
>a /pol/ thread
Are you all right?

> he hasn't actually read the thread

Good job there, bucko.

We already have a lot of manipulation in the US voting system as it is. It's on a day that makes it difficult for people in low-income jobs to go and vote and that's not even beginning to touch upon gerrymandering.

The system is probably the best it could be even if it is flawed. I understand what OP is touching upon but I feel it would never work: nobody would be willing to pass a test for a right they previously held. It'd seem almost dictatorial.

Tumblr would freak out and call it racist and /pol/ would freak out and call it Marxism

Think ten seconds before having dumb fuck kid ideas

The rich and educated will only vote in self-interest. It is necessary for the poor and uneducated to have voting rights in order to maintain a balance between the classes.

Good strawman, faggot.

We just need to rid the world of all journalists

while doing so can we just rid the world completely

t b h global warming is doing a good job let's just burn it out alright guys im goin to smoke two cigarettes now