Redpill me on cookbooks

Has youtube made them obsolete? Do you use them? What are they good for? What are some good ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0470528060/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509580774&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=How to cook everything basic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Has youtube made them obsolete?
No, I mostly use videos to learn techniques, not recipes.
>Do you use them? What are they good for?
Just about every day. They're good for autists like myself that love following bullet point instructions, people that don't know good flavour combos and techniques, and people that just want to learn how to make a new dish without experimenting.
>What are some good ones?
I use 660 Curries, Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen, and La Dulce Vegan a lot. No I'm not vegan.

I've bought too many cookbooks and never use them because they're too specific for the way I cook or they're just a way for the writer/chef to jerk themselves off.

But, buy The Food Lab. It's the shit. It's cheap and insanely thorough. It is actually decently fun to read too. the recipes are good but actually useful on a day to day basis. If you're a science fag there are bonus points. Even if you aren't though it is the best cook book I've read by far.

>Has youtube made them obsolete
Yes except food lab

>Do you use them?
No except food lab

The one cookbook I've ever found helpful is Virgin To Veteran. It's got details on what herbs and spices go with what, the proper way to store meat, veg, ect. Helpful if you know dick all about cooking or you're feeling like upping your game

Search Good and Cheap by Leanne Brown.

It's available as a free fucking PDF and it's designed for people on US Food Stamps, under the rule of thumb that food stamps is about 4$ a day per person.

I collect them
Most recent is the chef john cookbook

love this faggot's channel. I may pick up this book just to check it out.

Completely obsoleted, not just by youtube, but by the internet in general. There is literally no point to spending money on a cookbook when literally every recipe is available for free on the internet somewhere.

As for what they are good for, any number of things. Door stops, kindling, killing bugs, just not cooking.

Do it

Only cookbook I really use is The Flavor Bible to come up with inspiration for flavor combinations in dishes. I do not really follow detailed recipes for anything except baking nowadays

get saucy, escoffier, king arthurs bread book, and those cooks illustrated books. There ARE recipes you do not find on youtube, but that is often because they are some conjunction of foreign, expensive, and overly complicated. A number of older chinese recipes are like this. Also as bad as an actual chef may jerk himself off in a cookbook a youtube personality makes money off of your ignorance of food for doing basically nothing, unlike said chef.

Definitely not worth it at full price, but still worthwhile if you can get them at thrift shops or for free. Sometimes you'll run across recipes you'd never even thought to look up.

Probably bake the most from this

>Sometimes you'll run across recipes you'd never even thought to look up.
This is a fantastic reason to use cookbooks. There's so many great recipes out there that will never make it onto YouTube.
>Also as bad as an actual chef may jerk himself off in a cookbook a youtube personality makes money off of your ignorance of food for doing basically nothing, unlike said chef.
This is my problem with YouTube. It's 90% unvetted amateur content.
You can get plenty of cookbooks off the internet through a variety of digital platforms.
Or there is an option that will blow many people's minds wide open. You can borrow cookbooks for free from this place called a public library.

1. Cookbooks (hard copy or digital)
2. Cooking shows
3. Recipe sites
4. Free space
5. YouTube
6. Food blogs

I rank YouTube above food blogs because at least you can watch them make it.

>I rank YouTube above food blogs because at least you can watch them make it.
Even videos that are just a text to speech reader reading out text rank above food blogs because there's not a ten minute masturbatory prelude to the recipe.

Is that actually worth it? Or does it just look nice? What have you baked from it?

Cookbooks are great if you really want to go deep into a specific era, region or style of cooking.
Cooking shows and YouTube videos don't have the time to show you anything other than a few popular recipes, cookbooks aren't limited by run-time and contain far more information.

>get saucy, escoffier, king arthurs bread book, and those cooks illustrated books.

What's saucy?

I'm a literal retard/autismo when it comes to cooking and so far I havnt found a youtube channel nor Cooking book that helps me. There always something that I won't undertand and don't know. I wish there was something starting with the very very basics, sadly there isnt.
I also tend to question alot. I need to know why salt is important before cooking rather than after.

I saw a recipe book a while back that was written for literal autists, with checklists and painfully explicit instructions and everything, but I haven't been able to find it again.

Remember anything about it? I'll use my autistic google skills to find it them.

A combination of America's Test Kitchen and huh this cookbook of my region's traditional food (North-western México) is all I've got.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0470528060/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509580774&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=How to cook everything basic

It has a lot of recipes. Macarons, eclairs, mille-feuilles, crepes, mousse verrines, madeleines, financiers, ice cream and custards, basic recipes for puff pastry and tart shells, etc. Only thing is that the recipes are written more matter-of-fact instead of teaching, but I do recommend it if you like French pastries.

Flour Water Salt Yeast changed my bread game. There's probably a download link in the Veeky Forums archive somewhere

Thanks, found a download. I'll see if it's enough for my autism. I'm native german speaker but I belive this should work.

No. Most videos always go back to some cookbook recipe entry. A short cookbook (under 200 pages) should cover the most important recipes or concepts for every cuisine style.

Oh, "Get Saucy" is the name of the book. Excuse my autism.

actually blew my mind with the library idea

In my father's kitchen, among other things, there are two cookbooks so worn and tattered that what is left of the buffalo plaid cloth binding has long since ceased to hold the covers to the yellowed pages within. These books are both different editions of the Betty Crocker cookbook, 1954 and 1957 respectively. I can promise you, not only do they offer foundational recipes that are the points from which you work to create the gourmet, but they offer a wide variety of tips and instructions that are instrumental in pairing the dishes to construct and entire three to seven course meal, the respective occasions, and instructions for seasonal vegetables and their adjustment for perennial dishes. These are recipes and other culinary information that could be considered lost in time and from memory and that no youtube video has come close to in authenticity and purity of ingredients.