Corn tortillas. What am I doing wrong?

2 cups of masa.
1 3/4 cups of water.
2 tablespoons of lard.

Youre not mexican.
Thats your biggest problem.

Oh...and your pan is too cold fuktard

Way too much water. Look how thick that is!

Turning out better now. Its hard to get the heat right.

You're supposed to use maize flour. Not your masa. Silly negro.

>my pan was too cold.

Youre welcome gringo

How can someone this stupid still access the internet?

Post your hairy arms.

Using this. Is this right? Plz no bully.

>not recognizing a joke
>calling others stupid

K

It’ll work.
First off, fuck the measurements. Use very warm water, and add enough masa that it feels doughy. Not too soggy, but not too dry and powdery. Make sure the pan/ comal is very hot. Hot as fuck, if you can. Like, hotter than shit. If you’re usin a tortilla press, then press it once, flip it and turn it 180 degrees, and press it again. Make sure it’s very thin. Then, when it’s cooking, don’t flip it until you see the ends start to curl and/ or it bubbles up. Press down and remove the bubble, then flip.

I run a restaurant where we make fresh tortillas. All the spics love our shit.

Oh, also, salt the mixture. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can use tomato or chicken bouillon seasoning.

Sorry, I’m posting between tables and keep forgetting information.

Why are you using lard? You’re not making tamales, you’re making tortillas. Knock that shit off.

Thank you. Im gonna make it hot as shit next time. Do you add any oil to your pan between tortillas or is it not necessary with the hot temps with tbe lard in the masa?

There’s no reason to use oil. Just make sure not to wet the pan so it doesn’t smoke.

And no fucking lard. That’s probably why it’s falling apart. Lard is for tamales, not tortillas.

Got it. No lard. I will post pics with my next batch. Gotta refry the beans now.

Thank you.

I tired making Jew Tortillas a little while ago
What I learned is that you need to use a LOT of flour on your surfaces. You make your batter, then you flour the fuck out of your surface and roll it on that. Not enough floor, it sticks and falls apart.

And by flour, I mean whatever shit you're using. Whether it's corn or tater or wheat

Tortillas with lard are the best kind, but they need to be rolled, not pressed.

Masa doesn't need salt

You have to let the masa rest for about 20 minutes to hydrate properly before you press it.

Fat is fat, fucking retard

Don’t let the masa rest. That’s bullshit. And nothing NEEDS salt. But it tastes better.

And what the fuck are you talking about. Fat is fat? Nigger if you’re putting lard in tortillas, you probably are fucking fat. You might as well put sour cream in your guacamole, you weird spaz.

get real, a little lard in tortillas does not make you fat, you don't know shit

Tortillas have been made with pork lard for the fucking longest time. It wasn't until vegetable oil became accessible that people started using it out of convenience. Fat not only strengthens the tortilla, but it improves texture, and adds flavor. It's all about ratios. Plus the average adult eats 3-4 tortillas on average, and at less than 1/3 of lard per tortilla, that's very few additional calories (~15kcal). You're just a contrarian son of a bitch.

1/3 of a teaspoon

Don't hold it against him that eating 3x portion sizes is making him fat, not the lard in the tortilla.

>if you’re putting lard in tortillas, you probably...
Mexican?

>a little lard doesn’t make you fat
A little over time adds up

You’re grabbing at straws, therefore are not to be taken seriously.

I’ve been making tortillas for years, both professionally and at home. There is literally no reason at all to use lard. That’s the most retarded thing I’ve ever heard. My grandparents were born and raised in Mexico. No one does that. They’ve made tortillas using ground up fucking hominy by themselves.

I’m just going to say it. If you need or use lard, you’re a fucking faggot. It’s completely unnecessary. It is the Mexican equivalent of ketchup on steak, or pineapple on pizza pockets.

Post the rest of yourself possible qt3.14
Asking for a friend

Tortillas made with masa = no lard

Wheat tortilla = with lard

simple

Meh, ya te achicanaste. En México muchísima gente le pone manteca de puerco a las tortillas. Pero me imagino que porque llevas “muchos años haciéndolas profesionalmente“, ya eres la autoridad en el ámbito.

IVe never made wheat tortillas, so I’ll take your word for it.

But look at that fucking bag of maseca. Everyone here is assuming that’s what’s being used. And if you use lard with that maseca, you are literal garbage.

judging from the ingredients list the only thing he needs is water

my great grand parents founded mexico and they literally invented tortillas and they used lard in them

ive never met anyone who uses pork lard in Mexico. I have reason to believe you’re from a shitty tourist part of Mexico, maybe Tijuana? Do they do that in TJ?

That’s what I’m saying. I suggested salt only because years of eating spicy and salty food has ruined my palette. I’ve accepted that.

But I won’t accept lard being a reasonable addition.

Your great grandparents are fucking pochos.

>i can't handle the lard
haha are you vegan?

Make all the assumptions you want. I never said the original recipe had lard or oil in them. Fuck, nowadays people add baking soda to the masa, You even add salt to it when most people don't even do that... you're arguing for op to make them your way, while I'm telling him how they can taste much better, hell, I'd even add salt to the masa to bring out the flavor of the corn. Do a Google search for "tortillas de maiz 'manteca'." There are hundreds of thousands of hits, so I'm not alone in this. Fat leads to the maillard effect while cooking on a griddle and flavor is improved.

monitoring

>I’m telling OP how to make them much better

OP was already using lard, and he fucked them up. They likely fucked up specifically because of the lard. So I told him how to make the basics, which, surprisingly, is the way every goddamn place around here makes them.

The right way.

Why start adding shit if he has yet to make them right? Learn to fucking walk before you run.

>malliard reaction
Nigger why the fuck are you browning your corn tortillas?

Lard is literally the gateway to Flavortown

He fucked up the ratios, that's all, plus he is making tortillas, not cooking a fucking full course menu. I could literally send him a link to a recipe that includes lard and if he's not absolutely retarded, he'll get it right at the second try at the most.

You take such great offense when someone questions the way you do things, that it wouldn't surprise me if you were a shitty cook and all you can do to surprise your guests is make salty tortillas from scratch.

>he has never heated up a tortilla on a thin layer of lard or vegetable oil
You're missing out

Let me make it plain and simple for you:
The fucking directions are on the back of the bag, and they do not include lard.

Secondly: what you do with the tortilla after you make it is your business. But taking the masa and turning it into a tortilla does not take oil of any kind. You’re just fucking up all over the place here.

Good. I'll continue making tortillas with and without oil or lard. Nothing changes faggot, and you can't stop OP from adding lard to his tortillas. Go shove a really salty masa dildo up your ass.

I’m not trying to stop anyone from doing anything. I’m just politely letting you know that you are wrong in every sense of the word, and are also dumb.

Hey. Since you're a retarded purist, you should join the chili con carne debate.

I already did. I’m the one who wrote I’m on a goddamned roll tonight

>There is literally no reason at all to use lard. That’s the most retarded thing I’ve ever heard. My grandparents were born and raised in Mexico. No one does that. They’ve made tortillas using ground up fucking hominy by themselves.

Mi compa
This is most accurate
Webm is clear
Ground corn made into round tortilla shape is place on heated disc to cook
The corn is boiled in lime quickly and left to rest overnight and then rinsed to remove kernals before corn now hominy is ground into roughly balls of clay
Ground corn is mixed withb water into something very similar to a mudpie being not too dry and not too slick and moist
Too dry of a masa shows when the tortilla cracks around the edges
Too wet a masa is not going to for a good tortilla till is semi dries

Pendejo
Sin duda pendejo pero bien pendejo