What was Veeky Forums's reaction in 2008 when this man died? Was there an agreeable lamentation?

What was Veeky Forums's reaction in 2008 when this man died? Was there an agreeable lamentation?

Veeky Forums has been here since around that time - it may have been shortly after his ddeath. Veeky Forums was very into Asian books in the early days - anything western was 'pleb'

I remember when he died in 2008, his death was certainly popular in the media. Even though I hadn't read his books at the time, I felt for his passing.

Veeky Forums was made in 2010

Uh, his suicide is the reason he's famous. Veeky Forums didn't exist in 2008, but if it did, it wouldn't have had any reaction to present then since none of its users would have known who he was

>since none of its users would have known who he was
How do you figure? I know Veeky Forums skews younger but DFW was a literary giant even before his death. You would have had to go out of your way to not know who he was in 2008.

You would have to be interested in literature to know who he was in 2008

what was Veeky Forumss reaction to 9/11?

>Uh, his suicide is the reason he's famous.

Thats nowhere near true

kek, truth

anyone know how Veeky Forums reacted when the jews crucified yeshua ha-nozri?

Veeky Forums was all anime and graphic novels in the early days

we're all eight year old girls that's why we're only starting with the greeks, user-kun. we don't want to read about tennis.

I remember it. There was a thread that posted his pic and it say "He died." Some of the older members had to explain it to the young who the bandana man was. Some people made jokes, others cried, others discussed his novels. I remembered a line from his book. Hal is trying to impress gately with his tennis skills and to do so he transforms into a many armed tennis playing monster and he says "I am becom e jest, the destroyer of balls."

it is interesting to read the language discussing his death... it is somewhat identical to that discussing the death of a religious icon.

It was truly a different era. Pepe had yet to be invented, and our deepest thoughts and fears had to be expressed through the crude grammar of le ketchup in the fridge man.

It was actually grrm shitposting, advice me on a book, homework and meme trilogy.

Cringiest post I've ever read

Cringiest post I've ever read

[SPOILERS!!!!]joke went over your head{/SPOILERS!!!!]

The board had yet to be invented too

___________SURPRISE!!!___________

"He couldn't write, he couldn't think...He had no discernible talent."

chuckled

tripfags really do have no sense of humor

I will never not laugh at the greatly deserved ridicule of this hack fraud. Why bother reading someone who couldn't even live with himself? The only sincere moment in the life of David Foster Wallace was when he kicked away the chair. The rest of his life was a lie, the new sincerity was a joke whose punchline was the creaking of a leather belt around the rafter.

His literary career was a menagerie of self help lies told to keep his depression at bay - the audience pussy and drugs were the ghosts at that feast of hypocrisy. The depression was warranted because behind all the gimmicks and the self awareness and the bandannas was no discernible talent.

We be cry.

We posted pics of cups filled with water for solidarity

Ayyy thats the meme we were lookin for

general applause with some light constructive criticism

What was Veeky Forums's reaction to the Hindenburg disaster?

i remember it to have been incredibly sad and banal

I barely knew how to read before Veeky Forums.
I wouldn't even have heard of DFW back then.

I didn't notice at the time, don't really care now.