ITT: Critical Papers We Will Never Write

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread of papers that we either wish we had written, want to write, or hope someone writes. For example:

>A comparison of the critical reaction to Ulysses and Infinite Jest. This would be a longer project as one would have to wait to see how IJ lasts or fades in the coming years.
>A comparison of Eliot's Ariel poems with those of Plath's Ariel poems.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiastic_structure
insidehighered.com/news/2017/05/22/faux-scholarly-article-sets-criticism-gender-studies-and-open-access-publishing
disputatio.com/wp-content/uploads/2000/05/008-4.pdf
vho.org/aaargh/engl/engl.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I want to write about poetic/narrative structures and how they can potential serve as 1-d models of 2-d grid structures in video games with an emphasis of chiastic structure
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiastic_structure
and the sort of net that would unfold in an interactive form.

I hope to write a treatise on the desensitisation of society titled The Age Of The Gross. Obviously, I am inspired by Agnew's famous speech.

I've always wanted to create a kind of mock journal of 'Time Cube Studies'. Each essay would be written under a different psuednym and character, taking every imaginable position on Time Cube. You'd have some mathematical reductionist, a post-modern take on one-god time as patriarchy, an obnoxious anti-semite piece focusing on the purported 'jewishness' of greenwich mean time. There'd be some kind of attempt at reconciling newtonian physics with time cube as well.

t. english prof who discovered Veeky Forums and now wants to steal some ideas off of kids

have a sage and a report, op

after seeing this thread I went through my documents and read some of my essays from sixth form/university

I was surprised that I actually had some good ideas, but as you can probably imagine my writing was dreadfully verbose and pretty confusing

I'd like to see some more people from the analytic tradition analyse the philosophical themes in Borges' short stories. There are a few good papers but the stuff from the lit crit crowd is mostly wank in terms of philosophical depth.

A tax law paper full of quotes from The Pale King.

Where do we get these images?

Thanks user. I rejoice knowing that actually less shitty secondary literature is produced than you intend to.

so that's where the yellow brick road sample comes from

An examination of role of the idea of an afterlife in the formation of socities and their success

is that the faggot franzen in the back

>JSTOR

>Lolita and Oblivion
Just reread the titular story of dfws Oblivion. Lot's of stuff there but I'd be interested in exploring nabokovs influence on dfw (and kafkas influence on both)

>use of the body as metaphor and metafictional device in Mao II

Who wrote this?

DFW likes Basquiat???

Isn't there loads on this?

this is unironically amazing

I'll get off my ass and write it someday. I've kind of decided it'd be in bad taste to do it while Gene Ray is still alive. From what I've heard from a contact who is running his FB page, he is in poor health and retired from writing. I get the impression he is hospitalized. I don't really want to upset him by publishing a parody journal which he would likely see as a legitimate attack.

that's good of you. Didn't even consider that at all

A book-length survey of post-WWII apocalyptic American literature and how it reflects social/cultural anxieties of the time.
The survey would be divided into sections for each subgenre of apocalyptic fiction:
>Nuclear Holocaust
>Biological/Ecological Catastrophe
>Death from Above [comets, aliens, gamma ray bursts, etc.]
>Entropy/General Civilization Collapse

I've been kicking around a rough draft for about four years but it's never getting published.

I really want to see a good comparison of Joyce and Pynchon. Gravity's Rainbow is constantly compared to Ulysses, but I'd love to see someone demonstrate that the similarities are more than skin deep (i.e. not just 'it's long and dense and uses lots of different styles')

I've always wanted to write a paper on the latter works of Blake that just focuses on clarifying his pantheon, universe and myths in a coherent fashion.

Nah, out of school and just wish I had written more. I guess you have never been to a literary convention though. Part of the whole point of a discussion is to spawn new ideas and to bounce ideas off one another in hopes that more criticism is developed. You can sit down though buddy. This thread actually has some interesting ideas that I hope the writers bring to fruition.

I don't think you have ever skimmed through what is being published currently then....

insidehighered.com/news/2017/05/22/faux-scholarly-article-sets-criticism-gender-studies-and-open-access-publishing

An essay on international jewry

One pretentious artist likes another, big surprise.

I finally got my hands on the edition of the protocols of zion with the Julius Evola introduction. Shit is fucking fire, yo. I put a little curtain on my bookshelf and behind it I am starting a controversial books section. Goals:
>early edition of Mein Kampf that doesn't have some apologetic introduction that "contextualizes" the work
>Luther
>Henry Ford's original Dearborn Indepentents
>In South America they still sell American Psycho in shrinkwrap so I put that up there

Anyone recommend me some taboo books that aren't specifically Jewish themed? I want to expand my banned books section...

none of the books you have mentioned are banned

Simon Blackburn. It's from a review of one of Umberto Eco's non-fictions books:

disputatio.com/wp-content/uploads/2000/05/008-4.pdf

DFW even has an essay on Kafka in Consider the Lobster

Tangentially related, but does anyone have recommendations on where to read academic papers aside from JSTOR or Academia.edu?

Been out of academia for a few years now but want to stay up-to-date on certain fields.

browse through here, you'll find your joy (then go and buy them or whatever like)
vho.org/aaargh/engl/engl.html

Persee.

but really it depends on what you're after. academia.edu is ok, but the other one (whose name i've deliberately forgotten) is a pile of gay.

Controversial and banned are two different words user. I don't want my copy of the elder protocols just sitting out where students can check my power level.

i doubt pre-schoolers are on that reading level

A comparison of the Modern-Postmodern divide in Beat literature — namely One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest — and Thomas Pynchon's work — namely TCOL49 — and how whether DFWs New Sincerity reconciles the two

Essays from last year of high school are always fun to reread. I did a writers statement on how I "supposedly" wrote a monologue to reflect Deleuze and Guattari's views on Kafka. Got told that it was "too academic" and my writing wasn't in first person

I want to write about syntax and morphology since literature studies have turned to shit

Thanks guys haha this thread gave me hope if we ever actually start publishing anything. Glad I am not alone.