Psychedelics

Are they worth doing? Is there anything to gain from them, Veeky Forums?

Salvia is the patricians choice. I don't think you should base your worldview around them, but it's a cool experience nonetheless.

I finally understood joyce after a few hits of jenkum

yes but respect them, don't be an indulgent

Yeah they are fun

Apparently Psilocybin can permanently change your personality (you become 1 standard deviation higher in openness), people rate it as one of the most important experiences of their lives and it can consistently give divine visions.

i believe it. unfortunately openness makes you more vulnerable, double edged sword. probably why shamans live alone

Depends on where and how you do them. Go in an open mind and don't be nervous.

Mushrooms in nature
LSD in a comfortable setting with friends
MDMA on a sunny day, with someone who you like/love. Most people waste MDMA to go clubbing, when it is so much more.

Never done DMT tho.

Also don't do a lot in a short span of time, it'll break your brain.

Worth doing at least once. You can get lost in your head, solipsism and the like, if you make tripping too regular a thing, but it definitely makes you think and can be quite humbling.
Honestly the particular psychedelic(s) you use don't matter a whole lot in terms of an eye-opening experience; acid and mushrooms are big deals, but you can get a whole lot out of 2C-B, 25C-NBOMe, psilocybin analogues, etc. Just stay safe and do your research.

i've used weed/mdma/coke/ketamine and a few others but never ventured into psychadelics

i worry about the idea of "unnaturally" altering my conscience (for the better or worse) and that i might change in some way after having done them

Huxley thought so. I do too. It gives you a sense of humor

I wish they made me more open. They haven't changed me at all.

LSD (if you can get the real thing) is amazing. If anything, take it for the aesthetics.

It's no use describing LSD. If you have ever taken it, then you know exactly how it feels. And if you have not, then you cannot possibly imagine it.

Change is perpetual anyway

you've already done ket, assuming you've holed that's more intense than most psychs get

This. It's worth it just to feel something that has no parallel.

Same with being on a strong disassociative doses. There's no feeling like feeling like you are a million miles from Earth and you've left your physical form behind for a few hours.

Just take it as a novel experience, don't try and find a religious truth or anything. You might have some good revelations, but the majority will probably be retarded.

i'm choosing to stay away from them because of the idea that they could possibly make my life better is horrifying to me

really?

I've had numerous bad experiences (few good) on ketamine, and one really serious k hole

it was fucking horrible. i feared for my life and i had to manually keep all of my body's functions in check (as well as try not to vomit). I made out figures and conversations where there were none and they were not nice. couldn't sleep because I would see shit projected onto my eyelids when i closed them

your uncle Ernst says go for it.

your mileage may vary

they worked for me but i've also seen some kinda shitty people take them and not learn a damn thing

Acid made me schizophrenic.

>inb4 u didn't use responsibly

It just brought out what was already there.

t. Someone who is a much weirder person since taking acid

Not in my experience.

Tripping is fun but I wouldn't search for some higher value. Acid makes it seem like you're walking forever and makes patterns seem more bizarre. Combine it with coke and your pattern recognition goes out of control. I didn't like molly and acid, it took out the fun from both of them. Mushrooms are like being drowning. You come back up for air but another wave always takes you down until you're too deep.

Mushrooms did make more comfortable, I found that even if all your humanity is taken away - if you can't speak English or reason properly - there's still a modicum of animal instinct that will help you find happiness or comfort. If I lost part of my brain in an accident or became physically disabled, I feel confident in living a good life afterwards.

Still,these conclusions should be taken with a grain of salt. Guys who run too far with them are not the philosophers of the world, their Joe Rogan and his ilk.

I typed these sentences out like a fucking retard and I used to be a half decent writer. Take that into account as well.

if you take it again youll change back to normal

trust me im a docotr

yeah I find dissos much more difficult to handle generally. they feel much more alien

underrated

Can corroborate. Took acid a few times, shrooms too, now can not interact like a normal human. My anxiety is ridiculous and I literally cannot relate to anything they say or pretend to care

Yeah, but everyone who took it warned me off it, because I'm too unstable. You have to be a)in a pleasant state of mind and b) be stable, or you'll have a bad trip, or worse.

I've only smoked weed and spice, and neither were very pleasant experiences. Three hits of weed and I was a sweating statue.

Better off just meditating for clarity and discipline. Yo-yo'ing in and out of alterted states only gets you so far.

No

Any 'revelations' you gain are false

There's nothing to gain except knowledge of the experience. I'd use them in conjunction with appreciation of art, don't bother with anything intellectual.

Low doses make you a better poet.

give me an example of a true revelation

>Be INTP
>Take LSD
>Become ENTP

I don't know. I enjoy what it bought to me though.

You know, your 3D view of the world is false. They let you see through that one, but you might become too gullible to really gain anything.

I've had pot, pot brownies, acid, heroin, coke, cough syrup, and alcohol and I can honestly say a good jack-off session is preferable to all of them. So is a good book, album, movie, etc.

My mother was a paranoid schizo, it's pretty stupid but I've tripped twice now. I've also smoked a lot of weed this year but I'm now on a hiatus from drugs so I can be more focused and productive.

I only had a bad episode of paranoid thinking once, really. Does this mean I'm good? I dont want to be schizo

Just because you do have mental issues in your family history doesn't mean you'll definitely have inherited the predisposition. Not having lost it after just a couple of trips and smoking a bit of weed doesn't mean you're safe to keep doing it, either.
Count yourself lucky and move on, I wouldn't risk it again if I were you.

Playing with fire dude

Why on earth would you wish to intensify a faulty system
Jesus you people are idiots.

>faulty system
You need some lsd more than anyone.

i also feel like drugs have meddled with my ability to verbalize and formulate

however at the same time they have made me curious and knowledgable

fitting

all my friends who did a lot of shrooms ended up schizo...

psychedelics are overrated. good sleep + krill oil is best

I'm tripping today. It's beautiful out so a friend and I will be headed to Central Park. Perhaps then we will go to the Met and look at some art.

timothy leary the psychedelic experience

read that shit, understand that shit, then do that shit

Piggybacking off this, my brother microdosed shrooms for 4 months straight ended up having a psychotic break, sent to the hospital and now is in a constant depressive state.

You gain the experience of being in an altered state of mind. There is nothing quite like it, but it's up to you if you want to risk going schizo. Also, bear in mind that you will likely end up hanging around people who (ab)use drugs, which really makes it hard to accomplish much in life.

>Playing with fire

You know, I realized that like halfway through what I would consider a real, everyday bender, and I still continued to do it. It's kind of crazy in retrospect. I keep thinking about how my mother devolved rapidly with the onset of her alcoholism, and it sort of makes me want to abstain from all drugs, alcohol included: for good.

If you want to be a good writer its pretty much expected for you to smoke DMT on the regular

I wish I wasn't so scared of a breakdown to experiment with psychedelics.

Psilocybin made me a better person. LSD made me a more creative person. MDMA abuse trashed my dopamine receptors so now i dont enjoy much at all except going outside. LSD is honestly the best treatment for depression and anxiety, though must be used sparingly.

You're going to end up doing a research chemical and die.

I think for some it's a stage in life you need to go through. I knew I wanted to do drugs from a young age. Eventually you've got to move past it and only nurse the nicotine or opiate addiction that's going to last a lifetime.

You will probably have to leave town in order to get a fresh start after so much of your routine becomes glorified errands in the pursuit of getting fucked up.

yeah even mckenna ended up having a bad trip on shrooms and never touched it again...yet strangely kept shilling them

>LSD is honestly the best treatment for depression and anxiety, though must be used sparingly.

I think there's truth to this, look into how LSD interacts with serotonin. However, there are definitely other treatment options that are as good if not better. LSD is quite a fascinating drug.

are RCs getting a bad reputation now?

How can you tell if you are safe to take psychedelics without going crazy?

I have a good family history and feel pretty stable, but Im still scared. Should I take the being scared as a sign?
Like many years ago when I would smoke weed I would get pretty anxious, but that was also during my very self-conscious and depressed days.

If you have no family history of mental illness then you're as safe as anyone is likely to be.

Set and setting, don't start with a high dose. Nothing to be scared of.

Did it not open you when the space crocodile butt raped you?

People were selling 25i in unpredictable doses as "LSD". Considering more than one tab of 25i can be dangerous and it's got bad physical side effects anyway, it got a bad reputation. I am out of that world now, but this was a few years ago. It's probably some other phenethylamine now.

I can't smoke weed without freaking out. It's almost a 100% rule with me.
My dad is practically bipolar, has manic periods with delusions of grandeur and shit. But it might just be because he's started drinking more. Also a narcissist. I'm a narcissist too.
My mom is just neurotic as fuck and infected me with her damn paranoia.

When I'm on shrooms or LSD I'm in pretty complete control of my emotions. In fact I'm at greater balance than I am when I'm sober. I feel more complete. Everything is fine. Look at all these good things and good people around you. Nice.

If you have a strong inner voice, you should be fine. The more stoic you are, the easier it is to steer the ship on the sea of tripping balls.

>If you have a strong inner voice, you should be fine. The more stoic you are, the easier it is to steer the ship on the sea of tripping balls.
This, but letting go is also important. "I want to be sober so I'll try and fight the effects" is not a good idea, because given a reasonable dose, you wont win and you won't have a good time. Just remember that shit wears off, even if it feels like an eternity to you at the time.

i had that fear. did 2-cb a fair amount, have done acid, and meth, but thats not psychedlic but pretty good too

i still have that fear tch. had really bad trip on 2cb once, just trip with good friends,

closest i am to being schizo is being diagnosed with other kind of related disorders and hearing voices when i try to sleep, weed stops it

this is literally me..

Oh really I heard it's scary as shit.

Being someone that's taking DMT and Psilocybin, I would find it hard to say I've changed as a person, if not for learning from experience as you do when growing up. The experience of doing shroom may allow you to jump ahead a year or so in your personal development via age.

> I found that even if all your humanity is taken away - if you can't speak English or reason properly - there's still a modicum of animal instinct that will help you find happiness or comfort.
So poetic, it's beautiful.

Psuedo

Could it be that the constant intake of shrooms in a short period of time can permanently harm since it deplete hormones. It's like anything taken beyond moderation, like medicine, it could kill you.

I doubt that a person who takes shrooms responsibly once a month in their growing period (3 months-3 trps) will ever develop a disorder.

If you get the wrong dose any psy can radically change your mental state, particularly what you do or don't believe, in an instant. Especially DMT. I did it dozens and dozens of times and was fine until I came down from one hit and realised I believed in a bunch of weird shit I'd encountered on it. Took me a while to get it out of my head.

There are quite a few great, safe psychedelic rc's though.

>all these weak-minded people who are afraid of themselves and can't handle their own brains and blame their misconceptions and delusions on drugs instead of blaming it on that mind of theirs that can't stay rational and can't differentiate drug-induced stimuli from reality
>halp mum i cant come down cuz i dont no who i am or how i used to perceive the world
depression/anxiety/bipolarity are legit illnesses but schizophrenia and psychosis are nothing but the signs of irrational unintelligent minds
>wow i hear voices and can't tell if they're real or not
>everyone wants to harm me even if i'm a fucking nobody
come the fuck on

>In a conversation in 1971 with John Gerassi, a political science professor at Queens College in New York, Jean-Paul Sartre recalled an experience with drugs in 1929 while attending the École Normale Supérieure, where he met Simone de Beauvoir, also known as Castor. “Talking With Sartre: Conversations and Debates,” a selection of interviews from the ’70s, is being published this month by Yale University Press. Here is an excerpt from Harper’s:
>Sartre: ... I ended up having a nervous breakdown.
>Gerassi: You mean the crabs?
>Sartre: Yeah, after I took mescaline, I started seeing crabs around me all the time. They followed me in the streets, into class. I got used to them. I would wake up in the morning and say, “Good morning, my little ones, how did you sleep?” I would talk to them all the time. I would say, “O.K., guys, we’re going into class now, so we have to be still and quiet,” and they would be there, around my desk, absolutely still, until the bell rang.
>Gerassi: A lot of them?
>Sartre: Actually, no, just three or four.
>Grassi: But you knew they were imaginary?
>Sartre: Oh, yes. But after I finished school, I began to think I was going crazy, so I went to see a shrink, a young guy then with whom I have been good friends ever since, Jacques Lacan. We concluded that it was fear of being alone, fear of losing the camaraderie of the group. You know, my life changed radically from my being one of a group, which included peasants and workers, as well as bourgeois intellectuals, to it being just me and Castor. The crabs really began when my adolescence ended. At first, I avoided them by writing about them — in effect, by defining life as nausea — but then as soon as I tried to objectify it, the crabs appeared. And then they appeared whenever I walked somewhere. Not when I was writing, just when I was going someplace. ... The crabs stayed with me until the day I simply decided that they bored me and that I just wouldn’t pay attention to them. And then the war came, the stalag, the Resistance, and the big political battles after the war.

Lol, like what?

>Sartre was intelligent and not an overrated fraud and a sickly runt
>psychoanalysis is not a pseudoscience
very valid example

>Sartre was ever in touch with working class people
10/10 hail the Khmer