Boy oh boy am I late to the party but this shit is delicous. onions, peppeper, garlic and ginger base, chicken...

Boy oh boy am I late to the party but this shit is delicous. onions, peppeper, garlic and ginger base, chicken, add some chicken stock, ( had fun with some soy sauce and korean chilipaste) and bone apple teeth it came out amazing. Been eating this for 2 weeks straight with some good jasmine rice.

What are the best curry instant brands, or better yet what other instant hamburger helper/ instant mix brands actually make some good shit?

Golden curry is still my go to. It's the perfect thing to just have in the pantry for when you are too lazy to cook your ass off. Just need water, some veggies, and rice and you are set. I get the spicy one generally.

>mild

I got the extra spicy brand but just picked up whatever out of google image.
Dried chilis, cayenne pepper, korean chili paste really adds some real spice to it.

I use this stuff for making currywurst, because it's 99999999 times tastier than just basic bitch curry ketchup.

You realize that those stupid curry blocks are just shitty storebought curry powder in a roux, right?
All you need is curry powder, butter, and flour to make the exact same thing, except without quite so much preservatives. It adds one extra three minute step to your japanese curry recipe.

You forgot shit ton msg

I've found that the Japanese curry blocks have a very different flavor than most "curry powder", which is probably more of an Indian-inspired flavor. It's a totally different food.

When I want to make a really good curry I don't use the blocks, or make a roux either. I use whole spices, take an hour just to cook down the onions, make the paste from fresh garlic and ginger, etc. But sometimes the flavor of the highly processed Jap stuff is what I want. It's a totally different taste.

>msg is bad meme

He didn't say it was bad, only that it was present.

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

Yep. Jap curry is old Royal Navy curry, which is good old English stew with a touch of mostly the sweeter and more savory Indian spices to replace the flavor that butter or cream added to the roux.
If you want to make it without using a brick, S&B sells a powder.

Yeah im aware its a hyper industralized easy version, its just something I tried for the firsts time.
i cant imagine though that jap curry style can me mimmicked with indian entirely indian ingredients?

I have used S&B curry powder before; it's much closer to the Asian taste than most curry powders are. I still have some on hand but I rarely use it.

If I want to make Jap curry then I use the blocks. If I want to make Indian curry then I use a combination of dry spices I toast before grinding them, and the Maharaja style curry powder from Spice House. That is quite expensive as far as curry powder goes, but it's so fucking tasty it's worth every penny. They don't skimp out on the cardamom or the saffron.

Basically, if I want to go through the effort to make "real curry" I want something better than S&B powder.

Typically most storebought cheap curry powders here in the anglosphere are just the milder indian spices, a lot of the ones sold here don't even have cumin. It's the same kind of powder they put in that old royal navy curry and has a long history.
And of course I'd never use that stuff to make an actual Indian curry. If I was too cheap to buy the spices I'd buy a garam masala blend instead, which is usually much closer to what you'd expect from curry than what the english call curry powder

Despite it's lovely flavour the Hot one has no spice at all. I can't imagine how little the mild has. Unless you're an absolute spicelet there's no reason to not get the hot.

It's much simpler than most Indian curry. Fewer spices, far less heat, usually with a lot of added sweetness.

Jap curry is literally their twist on the old British Naval curry recipe, which itself was a simplification of what the Brits encountered in India. When the Japs modernized their navy they copied the British, even down to their recipes for cooking aboard ship. That's where the Jap recipe came from. It's very simple because a warship wouldn't have the budget or the time to prepare a complex dish. It was meant to be cheap filling food for sailors. Trying to make Japanese curry fancy is missing the point. Yes, you could certainly make it from scratch but that really wouldn't improve much.

Sounds good. Yeah I take jap curry as it is, quick fix delicous dinner.

Those shin ramyun packs I also had for the first time and tasted delcious. Was wondering other products with pretty damn good flavoring for such eas of use.

Can you tell I made an asian grocery store run.

For Jap ones it's a little more complex than "less spices" because it usually involves European like fennel, thyme, and sage descended from the stew half of the recipe. Whether they're more common probably depend on where you are, in New England/upstate NY I know most grocery stores carry S&B as a similar replacement for the old Crosse & Blackwell powder after it was discontinued.

msg is actually quite bad though

Only if you are allergic.

Am I strange for mixing in a package of Japanese Curry into my chicken pot pie filling when making pot pies?

Dont think so , their are curry pot pies. not to mention it adds such a savory flavor you could eat it without meat and it tastes like their is meat.