Can I get some recommendations on books about consciousness...

Can I get some recommendations on books about consciousness? An overview of the view on consciousness throughout philosophy would be great as well as standalone texts. Thanks

There's a very short introduction on consciousness although I haven't read it.

Julian Jaynes - The Origins of Consciousness.

Great attempt to describe what consciousness is. Eccentric and weird attempt to describe its origins. It's a shame that Jaynes never lived long enough to develop his own theory of the mind.

Thanks for the recommendation. I believe I've heard of this before. Doesn't the author claim that ancient man didn't understand where thoughts came from and believed that he heard the voice of the gods in his mind?

I'm interested in this thread.

One suggestion is the Phenomenology of Spirit. You don't have to go full Hegel-mode afterwards but you might find it interesting.

Some others.

Damasio: Self Comes to Mind
Guy Metzsinger: Being No One
Bateson: Steps to an Ecology of Mind
Changeux: Neurophysiology of Truth

Plus other Veeky Forums texts such as Buddhism, Nietzsche, Stoics.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm looking into them right now.

Can anyone add a book that covers consciousness as it was perceived in different places and time periods? I want to make sure I get a well-rounded picture.

It's more complex than that. Keep in mind that he was working off of neuroscientific breakthroughs of the 1970s, and yet his theory is still "scientifically plausible" today. The largest challenges are anthropological, historical, and literary... not scientific.

consciousness does not exist, it is consciousness of something, just like it is desire of something and not desire; but this is obviously already too hard for a 20 yo normie rationalist wannabe like you.

>normie
opinion rejected

>Phenomenology of Spirit
Is Martin Heidegger's lecture a good place to start or should I just jump into the text?

Science has nothing do with truth nor with objectivity. But since you do not see this, try to define truth in science, in maths and in logic.

Just read the buddhists and do the practices. Practice > reading, especially when it comes to the study of mind. Theres good reasons for this and part of it is because language is inherently dualistic and therefore not up to the task.

I have and I do. I'm more interested in the views of different societies on consciousness throughout the ages. But thanks for the tip

Just jump in there fella. There are notes at the back you can use if you get lost.

Nice dub dubs. Thanks for the advice

Susan Blackmore's textbook on Consciousness is pretty thorough in terms of history of its study and contemporary theories. It's respectful to both philosophy and neuroscience (though it does gloss over dualism, idealism, and I think panpsychism too).

Heil's Philosophy of Mind textbook is good if you want more philosophy.

If textbooks are too boring maybe jump straight into some David Chalmers. Steer clear of Daniel "I'm actually a p-zombie" Dennett.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Philosophy of Mind

if you can't get to the end of that article, then philosophy isn't for you anyways. If you can, then you'll have found the major perspectives and thinkers who represent them.

Berenstein Bears

Don't read.

Godel Escher Bach

Goober Escherichia Book