What does Veeky Forums use to read ebooks?

How do you consume ebooks, Veeky Forums? Laptop? Large computer screen? Ereader?

I've been using my laptop to read ebooks but now I'm considering an eink reader. Worth it? My second option is a tablet with LCD screen. Thoughts?

I got myself a Kobo a couple of years ago, for something like 50€.
It works perfectly.

Laptop
Mobile Phone
Kobo

With e-readers (hardware or software) you can read nearly everywhere. So based.

I mostly use a Kindle Paperwhite, but I also have an addiction to buying physical books even though most of my literary diet consists of books in the public domain.

I use a Kindle Voyager, absolutely love it, one of the best things I've bought.

I think reading on any computer is distracting knowing how much you can do with it. The Kindle is reading and reading only. It's comfortable to cuddle with at night. Dictionary and great battery time.

>read exclusively on samsung tablet
>recently smashed the screen
>spider web of deep cracks all over
>tiny splinters of glass keep come off
>if I read with an inverted black background, I don't really notice

so much this

bought a kobo a few weeks ago, zero regrets

Got the kindle paperwhite yesterday, the anti-glare is a massive pro aswell as the dictionary function. Also less likely to get distracted.

I got the Kobo aura ONE, the one in your pic.

I really like it. Definitely worth the money if you like to read a lot. The screen has a really high resolution and is big at the same time which creates the feeling of reading a regular sized book (without the corresponding weight of a regular book).

The night mode is also great. Helps me fall asleep way quicker.

Since it is waterproof you can also read while taking a bath (which i enjoy greatly) without fear of water damage.

If you got the money and like reading a lot, you really can't go wrong with this device.

I really want the Aura one, but I can't afford to get it at the moment but I could get the Paperwhite which looks really appealing as well.

I don't know if I should wait until my next pay check to get the Aura One. Or buy the paperwhite now.

I do love reading in the bath and I haven't dropped my phone/books in the bath yet.

I print them out

Laptop using Calibre. Flux to help save the eyes and sleep cycle (what there is of it). It's far from ideal but it's what I have so I'll make do. I would much prefer to read paper books but that's not a possibility.

I have a paperwhite that I keep at work and an aura one for home. I like the paperwhite more than the kobo with stock software. Koreader makes the aura one absolutely fucking amazing though.

Lad, how much better is the Kobo Aura one to the paperwhite.

Like rate them both out of 10 for me please.

I'm so torn between the 2

not him, but i would wait to get the kobo aura one. caveat: i don't have one yet, i'm having mine arrive today. however, i got my wife a kindle voyage and was dissatisfied with the lack of usability. for someone who is tech-illiterate, doesn't seek customization and buys their stuff from amazon, then get a kindle.

since you're here, i assume you can use libgen to sideload.

My father gave me his kobo, haven't read that much in a long time. There are some problems though, mostly with pictures for ants that you can't zoom in (unless I have not found the feature), so it's kinda shit if you read a book with maps and graphs.
Annotation can be quite tedious too, most of the time it redirects you to the end of the book and you can't go back to where you were before, have to manually find the page

What I'm thinking of doing is buying the Aura one on my credit card and Paying off £100 on the card straight away and pay the rest off at the end of the month when I get paid.

Only problem is I don't know where to buy the Aura one in the UK?

i'm not here to give you financial advice, but make sure that you can afford to pay for anything in full before buying it on a credit card. i got into a spot of minor debt when i was younger; more insidious than "college kid's first credit card who goes out to buy plasma TVs, etc.," but it still took a while to pay off.

if i'm not mistaken, Kobo is hard to find in-stores in USA, but not so in europe(?) i'm not certain, but here's a list of retailers that you may recognize. if all else fails, you can get it online.

also, i have two niggling worries about the kobo (but again, i haven't used it yet.)
>laggy touch-screen input compared to kindle
>lack of translation for full phrases
if the thread is still up tonight or tomorrow, i'll let you know.

I can 100% afford to buy it and I normally force myself to buy something on my credit card each month and pay it back the next month just to build credit score.

It's just I've never done as large a cost as this on my card, but without a doubt I can pay it off as soon as I get paid and I'll have a quiet month next month.

The Aura one looks really fucking good. I don't know if you know or if anyone else does but can you get the amazon kindle app on the Kobo as I have some books on there. Not many but a few which I'd like transferred over if possible?

If you're not going to install koreader I'd say get the paperwhite. Koreader makes the aura one the absolute perfect device.

someone else would be able to answer this definitively, but IIRC, you can copy the books (.mobi files) from your kindle onto your computer, then sideload the .mobi files onto your aura one.

as you know, calibre is a great application for organizing and transferring ebook files.

can you tell me about the GUI/user experience of koreader? i can't find screenshots of any current build, so i don't know exactly what it does or how it looks.

To be honest I don't know what KOreader is, when I buy whatever device I get I would most likely come to one of these threads and ask for advice on what to do to make the most of it

There isn't very much GUI since it's mainly for reading. The book selection is basically a file explorer, and the reading is just reading. I'll post pictures of screens and stuff when I get home if you want.

is it visually different from the native kobo reader and book selection? other than adding better functionality for reading PDFs and a wikipedia widget, what does koreader do exactly?

for instance, if i highlighted "bibamus moriendum est," using koreader, could it translate the phrase? from what i've read, vanilla kobo can't do that.

I'm reading on my laptop as well, just found out about flux through your post, thanks a lot, user.

It's not too visually different. It makes the sleepcover work and the pdf thing is the most important for me. I'm not sure about the translating. Can other devices do that?

this is on a kindle. can the kobo do this?

Woah. I don't think my paperwhite can do that. I'm always offline anyway. I'll check on the kobo in a few hours.

it takes a little finding: you have to highlight the text, click the vertical ellipsis icon ("⋮") and click translate. i'm sure yours can do it if it's on the latest firmware—it's just a bit hidden.

Anyone using Aura H2O? How does it compare to One? I'm looking for a device to replace my Kindle 3, and H2O is a bit cheaper than One and also has an SD card slot, which is important to me.

Paperwhite
>ctrl+f to find anything instantly
>dictionary
>7 bazillion books can fit in there

Any of these by itself is enough to make buying an ereader worthwile. Together they make physical books obsolete

It's there but greyed out. Probably something I'd need to set up. I'll do a little digging.

5.7" phone screen with dark mode and F.lux, works well enough for me to put off buying an eReader.

thats what i thought before kobo

It's called Voyage.

How is Wolfe/BotNS? Considering starting into it.

it's better than i imagined. i dropped it before finishing the first chapter last year, so i wouldn't be surprised if that's your first reaction. once i got into it, i was excited just to see where it went and had audible gasps when i realized what he was doing. essential thomist fiction imo

But Aquinas was a hack??

>underage b8

what could it bee?

hmm…

pretty!

oh baby. dieter rams is getting torqued in his grave

I have the exact same one. Got it last night. Bought it off a woman who won it at some contest. Never used. Got a $50 (+tax) discount.

Love it!

my pops gave me his kindle so I've been using lib gen on that. it's changing the way I read.

really digging the new kobo desu

I think I'm the only person on this planet who reads .epub files on a desktop computer.

I have a 64GB flash drive with calibre portable and thousands of books so I can read on this motherfucker.

On my kindle the back button helps to jump back from an annotation. Not sure about the kobo.

What is you "setup"? Do you turn the light on the monitor very low? I just can't read comfortably on computer screens for longer periods of time.

what font??

I got a problem with my kindle paperwhite 3. You see, if you don't touch display for about 2-3 minutes, it'll switch off himself, and it pisses me off. Can I somehow change that to say 5 or even 10 minutes delay ?

is the voyage any better than the paperwhite? i have a working paperwhite but i really like new tech and i'm wondering if i should sell this one and get the voyage

Buy a Nook Simple Touch, you dingusaurs

I have one of the old kindles with a keypad. Is it worth upgrading? I don't know why I don't really use it. Is it because I haven't spent the hours downloading and organizing hundreds of books or is it because I have real books I feel obligated to use? Am I a consumerist pig that just wants the satisfaction of completing a physical copy? Is ebook reading the true sweet release from capitalism? If it is why am I asking about upgrading?

I have a paperwhite but I really want that kobo.

What program is the best for reading epubs in windows

>true sweet release from capitalism
Facism.

I'll let you google this one out. The consensus on epub reader/manager for windows is all on a single application.

Am using Calibre but I don' really like how it looks for reading. I like how Edge, the Windows browser, makes epubs look :3

I just received my paperwhite, Is there anything I need to do to improve it?

It is really light and nice, I am very happy with my purchase a little surprised it is black and white

Just set yourself up on your wifi (for wiki searches, kindle store, goodreads functionality), and use Calibre to get your books from computer to kindle. Should be all set.

jealous af

Get rid of the headers and footers. I like your font though.

I love collecting irl books

but I mostly read using my old kindle. I got it for $10 bucks from this almost middle-aged woman driving a Maserati. She had a nice smile. She had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself.

jk but E-Readers are awesome, but I enjoy collecting books as well.

same, it's not really because of the brightness, but rather the size of the screen.

I struggle to read in general so I prefer to only read chunk by chunk, which is easier to do on an E-Reader.

patrician

I am with. That little cheap thing is great.
The best gift that my gf gave me

I use a Kindle 3. I've had this for around ~7 years and it is one of the best items I have ever purchased.

I've had a nook for a while, it's not great.

Kindle Paperwhite, Desktop PC and, of course, physical books.

ironically enough, kindle's "Bookerly."

don't tell me what to do

What program do you faggots use to read ebooks? I'm fucking done with Sumatra, I hate it and it is ugly.

Do Kindle paper white always missing out some letters?I imported some PDF into my paperwhite, some r and s always missed out, I checked the PDF on my computer and Nexus tablet, the PDF is alright, it makes me god damn frustrated.

I carry around a physical book everywhere I go. Shocking I know.

PDFs on any ereader will always suck

Find another format or suck it up. All ereaders would display it like that.

My kobo touch wont start (havent used it in a year) even when charging :/

No idea but Kobo can sideload fonts. One ofthe first things I do is to upload Arial Unicode (which is one of the most complete font sets I know of) and then it can display any weird unicode character. See if Kindle can do that... and then do the same and see if it works now.

I've got a Kobo Aura H2O.

It's pretty good, does what I need it to do.

Can be a little glitchy sometimes, like for example it's just chosen one fucking book I've already read and always displays that cover rather than whatever I'm reading, but that's only a minor annoyance.

update and reboot. it will fix that glitch.

QUESTION: can i put stuff i found on the internet (pdf, epub, etc.) into a kobo? i'm considering getting one.

Yeah, you can simply copypaste files on your device or use an app

Has anyone jailbroken their Kindle? What have you gotten out of it?
I accidentally updated mine but I'm not sure that there was anything worthwhile about jailbreaking it.

Get yourself a nice leather cover. I got one with a pocket on the inside flap for cards and physical notes and whatnot and it sits nicely propped up when reading at a cafe or something and it looks like a regular book when I'm toting it around. Excellent purchase.

>buying an e-reader
>not just reading ebooks at your PC
the reddit normies have truly won

Reading from an ereader is truly like reading out of paper

But if you really believe that reading out of an LCD screen is as good as reading paper, then you do you man.

if anything, tablets are for normies, not eink.

They're both in the same normative boat. My fucking 13 year old sister uses a kindle. Lmao at your life senpai.

>My fucking 13 year old sister uses a kindle.
>Lmao at your life senpai.
I'm actually laughing at yours, underaged faggot.

FBreader works great with me.

The kindle actually helped me to read more, you can download a lot of classic books from narrative to philosophy. I know you are trolling but the ebooks are the best invention of the humanity, I wonder what would writers from all the history think of having this kind device in their hands.

personally i like to barbecue my ebooks and consume them with lots of sauce

Bump. I have Kindle on my phone now. You know what? It's not that bad.

I want to do it to put mango and cute anime girls as wallpaper
To pussy because i can't follow the instructions and maybe fuck up the device

Don't do kindle it has a shitty DRM

Have a Kobo Glo HD and prefer it to physical books

Isn't Koreader and the Kobo Aura One made by the same company? Aren't they made for each other? It feels a bit redundant to say "if you're not going to install koreader" because that seems like the only logical choice. Maybe I'm totally ignorant of the vast different kinds of possibilities for e-readers, but this kind of statement (which has been repeated a few times) confuses me on which e-reader is better.

pc for pdf
kobo for epub

Koreader is an alternative to the software that is normally on the kobo. They're not affiliated with each other as far as I know. The kobo shipped with software called nickle that I absolutely hated. Now when I start the device it asks what I want to run. Kind of like dual booting.