How does Veeky Forums feel about using curse words in literature?

How does Veeky Forums feel about using curse words in literature?

If heads need to roll to stop it, so be it.

You stay away from those cursed books kid

I think it can be used appropriately, especially in dialogue since it can serve as characterization. I feel edgy when I use it narrating though

Unless the author/narrator themself is a character, they should be used only in dialog naturally as the character would day them. Generally, the broader your audience, the less swearing is encouraged--unless in stories where excessive swearing is expected. But if you're writing's good enough, it doesn't matter how much you swear so long as the initial two guidelines stated above are met.

I think it's a natural/necessary part of language but it has to have a natural flow to it. My characters (including the first person narrator) curse a lot because that's what's normal in the milieu I write about. It'd just feel forced not do use swearing.
It breaks the immersion for me when you can tell a writer is deliberately avoiding bad words, especially on TV. It just seems forced.

God damn it I used the same sentence twice again, that's so exemplary of my writing
gross

Then slow your roll. You're not racing to write.

it imbues the prose with emotion and impotent rage, which is not somehting you want to transmit if you're trying to be taken seriously

Greatly reduces the value of the literature. It is almost always unnecessary. Much like in the average blue-collar conversation it only produces inappropriate low-brow filler.

It was appropriately used in Catcher in the Rye, but other than that I can't think of any other appropriate uses I have read.

This

Ulysses and quite a few Hemingway novels had some effectively used profanity.

I do agree with you, Catcher In The Rye is probably the best example of well use of excessive profanity.

this cat is best cat

Sometimes it works, especially in dialogue. Almost always sounds edgy though.

I wrote a book and only used profanity once. It was the main character saying "damnit" silently to himself after he made a small mistake

>It breaks the immersion for me when you can tell a writer is deliberately avoiding bad words,
I don't think I've ever noticed this

The narrator of Choke refers to his dick as his dog and says frigging instead of fucking, that's probably the most annoying quirk I've ever seen in a character. I almost physically winced every time I came across that. I have no idea what Palahniuk hoped to achieve with that one. I know his main characters tend to be dweebs, but I just don't get it. It doesn't even help the characterization, it's just plain weird.

Palahniuk is a shit writer

It depends on the language. Latin, for example, can use them without sounding artificially vulgar.

go bad to reddit pseud

homophobe

Just don't do it the way Stephen King does it, unless you're writing for edgy teens.

I failed an essay in high school because I let one of the characters curse. He said "shit".