I'm working my way through a condensed version of the Western Canon, reading the major works of every time period...

I'm working my way through a condensed version of the Western Canon, reading the major works of every time period. What important piece of literature comes after Augustine but before Dante and Chaucer? Aquinas, Song of Roland, Beowulf, and the Nibelungleid are all reccomended but which is the most important to get a sense for the tradition and impact, if I only have time for one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wIl2-5f8NTo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My vote is Chretien De Troyes Arthurian Romances

Any of the national epics desu.
Personally I would go
>Chanson de Geste
>El Cid
>Arthurian Cycle
>Poetic Edda
>Nibelunglied
>Beowulf
>Kalevala (but only for meme related purposes)

these sort of isometric cut open interior pictures with comfy anime girls are really nice.

got any more?

I wish.

Found one, m8.

This makes me comfy vicariously but I know that if I actually lived there it would be a disgusting mess

like this?

I'm doing this too.
I'm still in the Greeks
help

this made me laugh real hard desu

The greeks are fun my dude. They still had a sense of childlike wonder and humor about the world that was lost in the oppressive rigour of the late Roman schools like the stoics.

that one's a bit spooky

>this will never exist
>you will never be a part of it

imply
youtube.com/watch?v=wIl2-5f8NTo

Is the peak of experimental art?

it's only the beginning

we will all be cute anime girls forever

Screw the Western Canon, I need literature for this feel.

How about an uncomfy anime girl?

but that's a comfy cat

that looks quite nice desu, she'll warm up soon

Does there exist a 'Western Canon' outside of Bloom's book? i don't believe there is.

That's a debate I'm not prepared to have. I simply mean the chronology of major works of Western literature and philosophy.

How can it be a chronology if it isn't documented and agreed upon?

There are always works of literature that are influenced by and comment upon ideas and writers that predate them. For example, without a background of this sort you won't understand Ullyses as well as someone who understand Hamlet, the Odyssey, and the ingenuity of the modernist movement. So, there isn't an official chronology recognized by all the authors themselves, but there is definitely a rough order to the (subjectively) major works of western literature and their respective influence on the works that follow them. By sampling these works in the order that they were written I hope to at least gleam some small understanding of the evolution of Western thought.