These people are millionaires and considered the greatest authors of a generation by many

>these people are millionaires and considered the greatest authors of a generation by many.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Isn't Rowling a billionaire?

They're memes who will be forgotten in a few generations.

you just KNOW

How does it make you feel?

every generation gets what it deserves. just abandon all hope and you'll see the funny side of it

they're just avin a giggle m8

Don't pretend you wouldn't fuck Rowling

>J K Rowling would have voted for Owen Smith

Is Rowling part of the canon?
At least for historical purposes students from the future will have to read her to understand the cultural degeneration of our society.
Other than IJ I don't know what else today will make the canon.

Stephen King is a pedophile

>Other than IJ I don't know what else today will make the canon.
you're a fucking illiterate then

IJ definitely WON'T make the canon. we're just living a little too close to his career move to see the critical turn against his worthless posturing, but time is the great equalizer and nothing this devoid of value can stick.

I don't fucking get it, wouldn't just logging off allow you to read them again, fuck, even using the browser if you only use the twitter app.

so much this

Infinite Jest will make the meme canon and nothing else.

She was but donated a fairly large chunk of it to charity.

Authors have the same hunter-gatherer brain in their skulls that you and I do. They're privy to the same dumb beliefs and mental traps that you or I might fall into.

My own realization of this came when I visited the blog of Charles Stross, a writer I had respected up until that point. But once there, I saw how he was as a person. He was an edgy, whiny edgelord. He started discussions in his comment section, and then jumped in to berate people if they acted poorly in his eyes, swung the banhammer with glee, and constantly showing none of the courstesy he expected of others. He does not believe in manned space travel in the way a Reddit atheist does not believe in God. That is to say, he was constantly hammering on about "space cadets" as if they screamed their gospel through the streets five times a day.

Oh, and he wrote Rule 34. Fans asked him if he came here for research. Said he only lurked. Which makes him a turbofaggot, because it's not like posting here requires any sort of commitment.

It was then that I realized learning about authors is a mistake. Whatever you think of them, they're not like that.

THEY SHOULD NEVER MAKE FUN OF EMPEROR GOD DONALD BASED TRUMP

LORD KEK WILL NOT HAVE IT!!

HAHA BASED FUCKING TRUMP HAHAGA PEPE PRAISE KEK HAHAHA FUCKING SJW KEKS

Fuck that made me sad, realizing how this century is vapid there will be no great music, no great literature nor great arts of any kind just cheap plastic content to be sold and discarded.

They are objectively more talented and intelligent than you and most other people. Why shouldn't they deserve their money and status?

>charity
money laundering

Because Rowling is a women and King is a libcuck. They are destroying the vision of my white ancestors

FUCK DONALD DRUMP I AM ANTIFA I AM SO COOL I WILL DO AWAY WITH THE FASCIST SEXIST HOMPHOBIC TRANSPHOBIC ISLAMOPHOBIC GARBAGE THAT HAS TAKEN OVER THE WORLD AND IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ME I WILL DISMISS YOU I AM NOT MAKING A POLITICAL STATEMENT, TREATING PEOPLE WELL SHOULD BE A BASIC HUMAN ABILITY AND IF YOU'RE INCAPABLE OF IT YOU DESERVE TO DIE WHITE PEOPLE BETTER WATCH OUT RHEY ARE SUBHUMAN SCUM INCAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING THE LASTING DAMAGE THEY INFLICTED UPON PEOPLE OF COLOR AND OTHER DISENFRANCHISED GROUPS THROUGH THEIR WHITENESS

A Rowling King collab Trump diatribe would be lit af senpai.

shouldn't these people have way more interesting things to do than read and respond to the tweets of an imbecile? I guess you eventually run out of shit to do when you have so much money but good lord.

>objectively more intelligent

So what are their IQ's?

>Stephen King
>J.K. Rowling
>forgotten in a few generations

this delusion

I would guess somewhere in the mid 120s, maybe higher

they're not the greatest authors of this generation, that's retarded. they wrote children's stories.

So they're subjectively more intelligent, then.

>Stephen King
>children's stories

No, objectively. They've objectively achieved greater intellectual accomplishments than you could ever dream of, thus demonstrating their objectively superior intelligence.

You're sadness is unimaginative and wholly apart of the problem that the appreciation of good art is in today.

Ambivalence to older types of media is a stage in adoption of newer types of media. Recognise the re-emergent primacy of orality and oral culture. Adopt techniques of symbolic control and vocal signalling. Bang drum once for good value and zero times for bad value. Audiological pillaging is non-typographic gold in rerouting subconscious circuits back to The Herald. Get with The Times. Or pay for a lot less attention.

Their consumers already forgot.

>new Harry Potter movies being released
>IT, Dark Tower, and numerous more works currently turned into films

Uh, I'm sorry sweetie but their consumer base is still growing.

>become rich writing about an awkward boy with a terrible childhood
>stay on twitter and make fun of those very people

Harry Potter was a chad.

>Stephen King will only be remembered as the guy who wrote that book that that Kubrick movie was based on

If you don't want to be raised by a shit family, make some money and move it out you fucking welfare queen

But that's not objective at all.

Rowling won't be forgotten.

I think King will be remembered more for The Shining and it's significant place in film history than for his place in the history of Writing.

There are living authors who would make any canon
John Banville, Edmund White, ThomasPynchon, Richard Wilbur, etc

Hi there, I'm the most popular writer of the 19th century.

Dickens was popular as fuck in the 19th century. Now let's look at where he stands today.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

The century just started

>no great music
>implying Kanye won't be remembered

I wish brits like Rowling would fuck off about "le drumpf xD" like as if American politics affects them. Go worry about the politics on your sad little island, nobody cares what a foreigner has to say about our politics.

>"I would never want a book's autograph, I am a proud non-reader of books"

truly our guy

gr8 posts

you are also completely out of your fucking mind if you think kubric in 1000 years will be put on same level as Hitchcock

/mu/ stop with your faggotry here

>he thinks that you have to be from /mu/ to appreciate Neu Picasso

Mein gott.

Rowling is not part of the canon, nor will it be. She would be studied, however, on the phenomenon of globalism and its implications on culture. (Something that is already discussed by sociology right now, but hasn't made the "philosophical" jump)

I don't know man, 2666 was published this century.

I don't see how she should possibly have to do that.

This. The fact that pop authors are now revered as literary giants by the general public shows how little attention is/will be shown to more important (as it were) authors. The Canon will be forgotten, my friends, because academia is collapsing thanks to PC.

Your lack of interaction with good contemporary literature or art =/= none being created.

There are numerous threads asking if any good books have been published in the last 5 years created every month, and every month 10-20 excellent contemporary works are suggested. Not all are universally accepted as excellent, but there they are. There is a massive diverse (politically) contemporary critical movement from the New Criterion to Laphams to the NYT literary supplement to NYRB. some is identity politics on the right and left yes, but also excellent works (with two, 2666 and IJ hitting meme status immediately).

So stop reading your summer reading list and your english lit syllabi and try to read 1 contemporary novel for every 10 (classics)

I will argue that it's collapsing more due to media and it's focus, but whatever scape goat makes us sleep is fine too.

Can anyone here name a good author of the English language from the 18th century? The fact is, literature is going to have its dry spells.

For every Dickens there is the best selling novel of 1910 (pic related) or the #1 best seller of the the 1910s, A Daughter of the Land by Stratton-Porter

I can already smell your eczema from here

>Le wrong generation! XDDDD
kys yourself

Thomas Paine and Jonathan Swift (I know he is Irish)

REEEEEEEEE

There have always been top selling pop authors. Always. Fucking Schopenhauer saw it. And if you go back to top sellers from the last century, the most sold are womens novels with unrecognizable titles.

Out of every 10 popular authors that exist at any given time, only one (if that) has the quality (and sometimes the luck) to transcend.

People like Dickens or García Márquez, who mostly had the critics on their side while gaining massive commercial attention, are rare beasts, and should not be looked at as examples of how bestsellers seep into the canon. Rather, they're examples of a very particular kind of genius: one that can speak to the common mind without necessarily dumbing things down.

>Harry Potter
>children story

Harry Potter is one of the greatest political allegories. It's critique of modern day politics is the most well thought out political philosophy of all time.

Exactly. People only bitch about the decay of quality in bestselling literature because they haven't looked at the actual lists of bestselling literature through the years. People have this idealized notion of a past where novels of the quality of Moby Dick or U.S.A. were flying off the shelves. but in reality it's not uncommon that one looks at the top 30 bestsellers for any given year without recognizing a single title.

Not to mention that Moby Dick, although critically praised, was not even close to a best seller. Pic related was the top seller around 1850 until Uncle Toms Cabin.

Well said

Not that Uncle Tom's Cabin was exactly a critical hit. It struck a sensitive chord at the right time, but even then most critics pointed out its fair lot of stylistic deficiencies, including the guy who coined the term Great American Novel.

>the guy who wrote a book where an evil monster is defeated by children having a ganbang might kill him self if he can't figure out how to use twitter
>luckily the young adult author who changes the race, orientation, etc of characters years after publishing to fit her current agenda is there to personally copy and paste tweets to prevent the suicide

Actually, that would have been the casting director that made those changes there bud.

except for the shear amount of people that read it

I suspect they were both joking

>implying

I enjoyed Harry Potter as a youngin'. And still like to grab a King novel just for fun, in between more serious subject matter.

Even if DFW was posturing and his life and works have valid criticisms, it. Will still easily make the canon. The fact that the book has drawn so much criticism and praise makes it no question.

You are blind. Contemporarily, Hitchcock and Kubrick are virtually on the same level.

>popular music

Things like this scare me, pic unrelated.

>Grimes-posting spreads out of /mu/

>Grimes could write the new Veeky Forums approved meme

not defending JKR here (fuck her) but Trump is a degenerate piece of human garbage und you should get over it

Two of the greatest writers of our generation.

>rule 34
i actually have this on my ereader because it was part of a large torrent among shit like "the scarlet letter" and "jude the obscure." is it any good?

>Donate money to your own non-profit charity
>???
>Profit - literally

Why does Veeky Forums hate Stephen King so much? Is it that he's so successful? Or that by behaving as though you're too intelligent to be bothered with stories that are widely appreciated makes you feel smarter than others? Hasn't he referred to his own work as the literary equivalent of a big mac and fries?

>no great art
What is 9/11?

Stories are good, prose is shit.
I only read for prose.
You should only read for prose,

No idea. I stopped reading him before I ever got to it. My appreciation for Charles Stross didn't survive contact with Charles Stross.

This. Anyone who puts Hitchcock on a pedestal above Kubrick hasn't watched either Hitchcock's work, or Kubrick's, or both. In all honesty, in terms of cinematography, Kubrick is probably superior to Hitchcock. But Hitchcock's influence on Kubrick is evident. Also, Kubrick's filmography is rather eclectic, more so than Hitchcock's.

You hope that he reads this, don't you?

Perhaps I am the faggot himself. You will never know.

If you can't find the good art then you deserve what you see.

Hitchock is more influential (because he also influenced Kubrick). I prefer Kubrick myself, but Kubrick is also a genius and made a lot more films.

>reading tweets
>using Twitter

kys, you're just as bad as them

>look at me guys i know jokes from other boards!! i bet u dont lmao kek haha

what money would she have that needs laundering?

all of it?
where do you think the government gets money?

thanks nick