How can people claim to be believers and followers of Christ yet own property and riches, not being totally non-violent...

How can people claim to be believers and followers of Christ yet own property and riches, not being totally non-violent, and basically live the exact lifestyle he preached against in the gospels? What's the point of worshiping a prophet without practicing his teachings?

Can the mods start deleting these retarded, off-topic Christian threads that pop up every day?

Perhaps you misunderstand what Jesus' teachings were.

The New Testament is literature last time I checked.

Maybe it wasn't explicit enough, please enlighten me.

My problem is that it seems like Jesus is only preaching to the jews. He shows open disdain for gentiles.

>Maybe it wasn't explicit enough, please enlighten me.

Yeah sure I'll just summarize the entire bible and every bit of information that can be gleamed from it. Keep this thread bumped for about a year. I'll get started on that right away and get back to you.

Rabbinic teaching often uses hyperbolic overstatement. Onw can say this is a cop out, but if you read Jesus statements as this then it makes a bit more sense. Just like you could be stoned for a variety of crimes but the Jewish authorities did not apply the full extent of the law such things were a guideline rather than literal. There are vaeious studies that stated that Jews took the Scriptures and prophets metaphorically rather than the Gentiles who took it literally. He didn't seem to disdain Gentiles, instead he met them where they were and even went into their homes, something unheard of.

>the entire Bible
Jesus is only in like 20% of it. The modern American education system was able to summarise it in one sentence - "be a good dude". What do you want to add to that?

you're sure the first one to think about that in the whole 2 millennia of church (its not like theres was a whole heretic group who preached that, am i right?)
congratulations op i'm sure the church has no answer to that and you just destroyed christianity...

Too bad the Church keeps profiting off people's ignorance despite these obvious questions

I find it interesting that there are a great deal of Christians that seem to lurk lit and occasionally pop up. All of us don't push Christianity but can have beneficial discussions and most of us aknowledge that there are worthwhile and valuable critiques of Christianity.

I also find that many of the writing/literary/academic conferences I have been to are filled with Christians but hide it for fear of vilification.

>inB4 muh Christian persecution

Not saying that, just saying its interesting. I don't claim to have all the answers.

>"Let me take one bit of a multi-book volume and use it out of context while passively claiming it summarizes the entire collection"

So you're saying that Jesus, in fact, did not believe that it was near impossible for the wealthy to gain entrance into Heaven?

Except for, oh, when He praised Samaritans (the parable of the Good Samaritan) and (a big one!) in the Great Commission when He ordered his disciples and apostles to 'make disciples of all nations' and when He spoke that 'I have sheep that are not of this fold'. etc.

It is near impossible for anyone to get in. He addressed the socio-economic issues of the time and elevated the oppressed. He took special issue with the rich st that time but no, I don't think its impossible for the rich. More so that we all think we are rich on our own and we are all that way in one way or another, especially as 21st century men. If you want a real answer read some theology rather than looking to bait people here. Do you want answers or a fight?

Luke 18:26-27
"and those that heard this asked, "Who, then, can be saved?' and He said "The things that are impossible with men are possible with God"
This is a direct statement that a rich man *can* get to heaven if he is loyal to God.
The contecxt of your quote is
A) Rich man comes to Christ, wants to get to heaven
B)Rich man says he keeps the commandments
C) Christ gives him an order which he refuses
>this reveals that the man is more attached to money than heaven
D) Christ warns that the rich have great difficulty in getting to heaven unless they are obedient to God.
A demonstration of how if you make an idol of wealth (valuing it above virtue) you reject God.

DEUS VULT

Embarrasing! It's not a camel but a noodle, you should know about the mistranslation by now.

Yes, I am saying that. Make a research before posting your ignorant bullshit.

>Maybe it wasn't explicit enough
Brainlets are not wanted by God, was it not explicit enough?

Christians worship God the Father, the Demiurge.

*gnostics

Veeky Forums had always been the official board for christposting

if god favors your lifestyle why are you poor? clearly jews and protestants are living in harmony with god's ways

Christianity is the polar opposite of Spirit. It's Scientism with a mustache.

desu your caricature is more so humorous and taken out of context than anything of substance. It is also contradictory and does not even line up with Christian doctrine let alone with the initial ideas of the demiurge. Stop shitposting and add to the discussion.

if anything you are a neckbeard with a mustache raging against something you do not even think exists.

I do not think that poverty is inherently bad. I am saying that from a lower middle class American perspective which is quite wealthy in comparison to many, but still.

Did you just graduate high school or something? Holy shit user

What exactly from the Christian doctrine did I misconstrue in my "caricature"? I don't care about aesthetic details of historical accounts or cosmologies, neither Christian nor Gnostic ones. All that matters is what they mean for the here and now.

your image sucks balls and I imagine you do as well

I'll take this over Christian apology I guess.

The whole thing pretty much. It is literally a talking point you would see on MSNBC. Start reading theology instead of a pol int or his thread.

Literally every point is incorrect hahahahhahahahaha

If you want to be edgy about religious doctrine, you would do better to engage with the Church or the major Theologians. You're not going to be able to fully appreciate the Bible unless you happen to read Aramaic and Hebrew anyway, or at the very least Greek or Coptic.
"but muh translations" There is a reason translating to the vernacular was considered heretical.

God blesses many of his followers with riches pleb, look at Job. Why do people try to "debunk" the Bible without even trying to understand it first.

Also just cause people claim to follow god does not mean they are perfect followers, this is literally in any religion.

Read the next two verses, friendo.

Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?” Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”
Luke 18:26-27 NIV

Try reading the book sometime instead of riffing quotes out of context you got from buzzfeed. It'll change your life.