Rank the world's national cuisines. Which country has the best cuisine?

For me:
1. Italian
2. Mexican
3. Indian
4. Thai
5. Korean
6. Greek
7. Japanese
8. Chinese
9. Vietnamese
206. French

Other urls found in this thread:

cnn.com/travel/article/world-best-food-dishes/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1. America
999. Everything else

1. American
2. Mexican
3. Chinese
4. Italian (new York/philly dago)
5. Polish

>Italian
So you like fine food with no technique or skill?

How can you make good pasta without technique or skill?

>America
>cuisine
Not a great scholar of history are you, user?

Have u ever tried mediterranian? Especially Portuguese cuisine OP?

Maybe he thinks Cornbread is really that good.

1.Italian
2.French
3.Indian
4.Chinese
5.Full Fry Up
6.Mexican

kek.

It's not really trolling when it makes you look like a retard.

How can you not? Italian cuisine is peasant food. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to boil water.

>How can you not?
Am I supposed to magically know the proper proportion of ingredients? What about the correct amount of kneading and resting time? Making noodles or pasta well is among the most difficult things one can learn in the kitchen.

he was merely pretending to be retarded

>Italian cuisine is peasant food

It is literally one of the most simple processes. Why do you think it became so popular? It is cheap, easy, and decent.

Nice.

This isn't the best; just my favorite.
1. Italian
2. Mexican
3. Thai
4. Japanese
5. Ethiopian
6. Vietnamese
7. Greek/Middle Eastern
8. Indian
9. French
10. Chinese
10. South American

I'd like to try more cuisines. Never had Polynesian food.

1. Italian
2. Malaysian
3. French
4. Hungarian
5. West Chinese (Uyghur)
6. Russian
7. German (Bavarian)
8. Korean
9. South Slav/Balkan (Cevapi, pasulj, selsko meso etc;)
10. British

Honourable mention goes to USA on the condition it includes Southern BBQ, Cajun, basically all American food.

>talks shit about making italian food
>says making pasta is equivalent to boiling water

Damn, you can't make this shit up. How about you try actually making pasta.

What matters is when you eat it, fuckwit

I have when I was in elementary school. You actually think it is some magical art that only the kitchen elite can do? It's a simple process, made popular FOR being simple.

Vietnamese is number one for me. I love pho.

My gf is indian, and refuses to admit that italian food is objectively #1. what do?

>I have when I was in elementary school.
I'm guessing you probably did a shit job at it.

>>You actually think it is some magical art that only the kitchen elite can do?
Not at all. But with nearly 20 years of experience as a serious amateur cook and about 10 years of experience catering I know that it's one of the most difficult things you can do in the kitchen--assuming you have any kind of standards, anyway.

Have you ever attempted to make pasta as an adult, and had it honestly criticized? I don't mean your grade school teacher giving you a gold star or your mommie saying it was great. I mean honest criticism from people who know their shit.

Either you're unusually skilled and need to thank your lucky stars, or you are full of yourself because you made a gloppy mess in 3rd grade and mistakenly equate that with making good pasta.

Meh...can't do it by nation, but if I did the U.S. would be number 1, simply because our regional food is top notch, and you can find excellent examples of foreign foods all over the nation, however, you can't find decent example of regional American foods outside of the U.S..

My list:
1. North America
-U.S. regional, plus world foods. Mexican foods.
2. Southeast Asia
-Thailand and Vietnam with their great protein / veggie ratio and appreciation for garlic and chilli peppers.
3. mainland Europe
- Excellent proteins, sauces, and a great appreciation for comfort foods
4. mainland Asia
-Chinese and Indian foods that appreciate a nice sauce, garlic, and chilli pepper
5. South America
- A shared appreciation for a nice piece of beef.

If I could only live in one nation, it would be the U.S.. You can find a good Indian or Thai curry, Italian food, Chinese, French, or whatever, but I'll be damned if you're going to find a good Gumbo in Thailand, Virginia ham and buttermilk biscuits in India, or a decent pulled pork BBQ sandwhich in China. At best, you'd find U.S. fast food....which is ass.

1. Spanish, especially Basque
2. Mediterranean, French, and Italian are tied for me.
3. Japanese
4. Mexican/Hispanic
5. Indian
6. Thai
7. Korean
8.Chinese
9. German (Most Underrated)
10. English(Not counting english indian food)

I would put America at #1, but it's more of a food culture than an actual cuisine.

The sheer variety and access to virtually any type of cuisine is kind of insane. Until I visited other countries, I never had a real understanding of how expansive our food scene is. It's also obnoxiously cheap, probably why we're so fat.

what is Uyghur food like?

>and you can find excellent examples of foreign foods all over the nation

More like mediocre examples. A lot of our foreign food has been fucked over by legal issues. For example, really good Chinese food uses a stock made from Jinhua ham. You can't get that in the US because it's illegal to
import. Sichuan food in the US got fucked over hard because the peppercorns were illegal to import until very recently. Now you can get them, but most places don't use them because their customers are used to the taste of the food without them. A similar thing happened with Blackcurrants, which are in a ton of European dishes. They were illegal to grow here until very recently. Spanish Jamon was the same way; it wasn't until a couple years ago that imports were allowed, and currently there is only one supplier which has the legal right to import to the US. Many other crucial ingredients like unpasteurized cheeses are flat-out illegal.

>Making noodles or pasta well is among the most difficult things one can learn
Not so much, dude.
>Italian cuisine is peasant food
It is. Most Italian cuisine uses very few ingredients, or spices, and reflects the cuisine of their agrarian peasant culture. That's why they have so many pasta dishes with only one or two ingredients, because that's pretty much all they had back in the day.

>English Indian
You mean British Indian, user.

>back in the day
Italy as a country didn't exist before 1861, user.

I guess I'll call it that from now on, never really had to use that in a sentence. I mean it is indian food in England so I figured you'd get the picture.

It looked, felt, and tasted like noodles. Everyone else in the class managed it too. Not a mess at all, save for a few bloated ends and shearing noodles. Considering it was my first time ever, I think I did a good job. Nowadays, it is pretty much just another step in the event I feel like eating pasta, and it comes out oodles better.

It isn't that hard to follow competently written recipes and directions. I have no experience in a professional environment, but I do know that the people who have tried my food (take your pick of co-workers, friends, family, and friends of friends) end up requesting my cooking endlessly. I just follow time honored recipes and directions half the time.

Anyways. Derailing the thread.

Based on personal experiences with the cuisines rather than complexity or popularity.
1. Greek
2. French
3. British
4. Russian (empire)
5. Japanese
6. Spanish
7. German
8. American

Flavour and spice explosion. Big al-dente noodles covered Turkish style in spice powders and charcoal lamb and dude you have got to try it.

Yes, and? "back in the day" doesn't have to be limited to the nation of Italy as we know it today.

No shit. What does that have to do with anything I wrote? Nothing.

Italy is, and was, an agrarian nation with limited resources outside of the major cities, and their simple diet reflects that.

This man is talking about cumberland sausage, black pudding, oysters kilpatrick, lancashire hotpot, devonshire tea, pork pies, scotch eggs, fish & chips, split pea & ham soup. The fucking good stuff

I think it's safe to assume everyone means imperial Russian fare and not soulless commie food

In my eyes:

1. Cajun
2. Japanese
3. Italian
4. Mexican
5. Thai
6. Korean
7. Hungarian
8. Chinese
9. French
10. Greek
11. German
5000. Indian

My enjoyment of cuisine doesn't come just from how it tastes, but how the recipes are crafted. I like to study cooking methods and heavily analyze recipes. It might seem a bit weird that I hail cajun as the best when french is much lower, but that's because I believe the influence of all the other cultures in Louisiana helped perfect a lot of dated french techniques.

On the contrary, I like japanese cuisine because of the simplicity of it. Many of their famed dishes provide a good, clean flavor that isn't overwhelming and is easy to digest. I often consume somen with tsuyu when I am sick.

Indian food is just slop, lacks presentation, and only seems to be praised because of the abuse of spices. It's literal mud food.

I don't really enjoy food.

For me it's the:
1. Somalian cuisine
2. New Guinea food
3. Liberian cuisine

For me:
1. McChicken
2. Portuguese
3. Indian
4. Thai
5. Mexican
6. Lebanese
7. Japanese
8. Italian
9. Vietnamese
10. Chinese

marry her because indian food is hard as fuck to make for nonnatives, which makes it number one

top tier:
indian
thai
vietnamese
chinese
japanese
italian
mexican
southwest american along with cajun

midtier:
french
africa and the middle east
the rest of europe not mentioned

shittier
american
british
canadian
australian
russian
spanish
german

What is Australian and Russian cuisine like? Ever had them?

yeah, bland and boring, meat pies and marmite and borscht and shashlyk

1.Italian
2.Chinese
3.Mexican
4.American BBQ
235.French
32149829308490834. Greek
219380820444444444444444. Indian

Cajun is objectively the best cuisine, whether you want rice, pasta, or bread as your base. It's French cooking improved by spices and good ol' murrican ingenuity.

Old-school "fusion" cuisine like this is always the best. Same reason why Malaysian food is so good--whenever you get cultures mixing you get lots of great new dishes. Cajuns did it with French + African, Malaysia has Indian + Chinese + Malay. Viet is good too, with the native SEA cooking + French influence from its time as a colony.

lol
You haven't. Shashlyk is from kavkaz and marmite is not eaten in Australia.

If you ever get a chance, try these cuisines properly and I promise you will not regret it.

why asia and north america have the best cuisines

Who gives a shit what they think and make that shit at home like me

in my experience, slavic food tastes like garbage, most likely due to the past influence of communism

1) Portugal
2) Basque
3)France
4)Japan
5)Italy

I really prize cuisine that specializes in seafood.

6) is Mexico

There are only a few great cuisines.

To be great, a cuisine must be good, but also influential beyond its home country. It should be regionally influential, but also spawn a fuckton of "____ restaurants" all around the world.

Vietnamese or Thai food are not great cuisines. They are good, but they do not have the depth or influence beyond their own borders that a really great cuisine like French or Chinese does.

German used to be a great cuisine. But with the end of Austrian dominance over Central Europe and the suppression of German-American culture around WWI, it is now an isolate. Still good, not great.

I submit that Japanese is not a great cuisine, despite the proliferation of sushi, ramen and teriyaki around the world. The core ideas of Japanese cuisine have never travelled as far, and outside of Korea, Japanese cuisine is at its heart a domestic thing.

And to be a cuisine (and not merely a food) it must have a richness and history to it. Filipino food, for example, is not a cuisine - it is a bunch of dishes with no written tradition behind it. Perhaps in a century or two it will be a cuisine, but not now. Same for Malay.

So, the great cuisines of the world are, by continent/region:

AFRICA:
One cuisine (Ethiopian) but no great ones

EUROPE:
French
Italian

ASIA:
Indian
Chinese

AMERICAS:
Mexican

I would rank them as follows:

1. French
2. Chinese
3. Italian
4. Mexican
5. Indian

Indian lost major points because, unlike the above-ranked ones, it relies on over-saucing and does not really know how to bring out the native flavors of ingredients, especially meat. If this was a ranking of vegetarian cuisines India would possibly fare better.

>They are good, but they do not have the depth or influence beyond their own borders that a really great cuisine like French or Chinese does.

I disagree. You can find Viet and Thai food all over the world. I live in a mid-size town in Texas. My city has one French restaurant, which is a chain (La Madeline). We have more Thai and Viet restaurants than I can count.

Both of them routinely rank very high in surveys of people's favorite foods. For example, compare the number and ranking of Thai dishes here with French ones:
cnn.com/travel/article/world-best-food-dishes/index.html

>> The core ideas of Japanese cuisine have never travelled as far
That's just silly. The core ideas of Japanese cuisine are the same as you will hear nearly any chef repeat: seasonal, a focus on high quality ingredients, and preserving the flavor of the ingredient itself.

Most Russian restaurants in the west do imperial cuisine, I agree commie era shit is bland and not worth the time or money though