80% of book written

>80% of book written
>set 50-75 years into future
>everything's going well
>finally come to grips with fact that attire hasn't been mentioned because too afraid to speculate about what people wear in the future and whenever I do it always seems stupid so continue on never talking about what people are wearing
Please help. Is this something that can go unmentioned and left to the reader's imagination? Can I fake it by hinting here and there that the fashion is more or less similar to today? Any sci-fi aficionados seen sci-fi writers deal with this issue in creative ways?

Fuck you, I'm not going to help you finish your book. Try some LSD and be creative.

I wouldn't leave it out. More in Utopia, Huxley in BNW, Huxley in Island and Orwell in 1984, to name just a few mainstream authors, described the clothing but then Bradbury didn't describe much of the clothing except for the fireman and a white dress. So I think it is up to you but I would definitely recommend describing how the clothing is similar to ours.

I would definitely mention the fashion, but not by itself. For example, if you wrote a character dressing themselves, or seeing another character, you could comment on their clothing.
Have the clothing be a symbol for what you think the future will be like. Do you think it's gonna be a libertarian paradise? Do you think it's gonna be a communist paradise? Do you think today's social order will be maintained? Whatever you choose, the clothing should show this.
One thing to note: in more conservative periods (50s, 80s, 2000s) people wore baggier clothing to appear bigger, while in more "liberal" periods, people will wear tighter clothing. Use this as you wish.

"All clothing was designed by AI, and all outfits had a functional purpose."

There, include that line somewhere in your book, and carry on with the story.

You can talk about it but without going into autistic details.
Just mention what materials they use and what impression they're trying to give and the reader will come to their own image.

He should go into autistic details, it would give his book at least some character.

Look at the trends 75 years ago and extrapolate from there.
There should be more sci-fi novels with stovepipe hats.

Holy moly...

This is H. G. Wells 80 years ago, visiting the set of the movie "Things To Come", set in the 21st century.

You can see people wearing clothes like Wells today. Nobody dresses like the fantasy futuristic costumes of the actors.

Take this into account.

What I mean is like, he doesn't have to literally have a sketched outline. You can convey a lot of character without really having a clear idea what you're aiming for yourself

Would you please stop posting extremely attractive women on Veeky Forums? I do not want to be reminded all the time of the fact that I'll never get a women like that. I'm trying to cope with sexual frustrations and excruciating loneliness and posts like that are painful. Just stop.

Thanks for the input, it's definitely useful. I've included some female clothing tidbits here and there since there's more variety to work with in general, but male casual (i.e., non military or non suit) has given me some trouble, in the sense that sometimes I wonder if the reader will wonder what people are wearing in scenes where there is currently no reference. I was considering leaving it up to the imagination but after thinking about it I agree that some hints or details should be weaved in.

Star Trek has taught us the future is onesies for all

Yeah thanks for stopping.

If it doesn't add anything, don't mention it.
People will project whatever regardless.

It's pretty easy to imagine desu.

I loved the subtle fashion in "Her".

Jeans and a t-shirt are eternal.

This is what I've heard. It's just one of those details you start to get self-conscious about when there's little to no mention of it.

You see where I'm going.

who cares holy fucking shit

Just rip off star trek tng. jumpsuits are your friend.

>too afraid to speculate about what people wear in the future and whenever I do it always seems stupid
But popular fashion 50 years from now WILL seem stupid by today's standards.

JEZER
BELLS

just make everyone naked all the time, especially the sheep and babies

Just make something up. Nobody knows what people will like to wear in 50 years. But don't say it's similar to what people wear today, because that's one thing we do know: it WILL be different.

I think it can be unmentioned because In my opinion it's impossible, if not really hard, to get it right. Same thing for the design of objects such as vehicles for example...be really vague
Pic related, this was the car of the future for the people in the 70's

I would leave it out unless you're trying to make a statement about cultural norms. Have people become more sexually liberal or conservative in your future? Does their attire portray this? I recommend you keep Chekov's gun in mind. If its irrelevant dont mention it.