Literature and fiction are two entirely different things. Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity

>Literature and fiction are two entirely different things. Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity.

Was he right, Veeky Forums?

the chesterton meme is finished dude

It seems to be your proclamation that he is finished has little to do with him and very much to do with yourself. Further more, it seems to have nothing to do with me and anyone else who wishes to discuss him today.

He's always right.
no it's not now go back to facebook

YES. FICTION (FANTASY) COVERS A FUNDAMENTAL LACK BORN BY THE ONTOLOGICAL INCOMPLETENESS OF REALITY

What do you suppose he meant by this.

Well of course he's right, he's right about everything.

In this specific instance, I suppose what he's saying is that literature is merely a subset of fiction more broadly, and fiction, more broadly, is absolutely necessary for a human being because the stories we tell help us shape our sense of self. We tell stories about ourselves. We tell stories about those close to us. We tell stories about the people and things that shape our reality. We tell stories as a matter of course, so, yes, fiction is a necessity to a functional human. It's just what we do.

That fiction structures our psychic reality to bar us from the traumatic and unbearable Real at the core of existence.

t. Lacan

That we think too much, too deeply, and don't consider that there's nothing wrong with our lives besides the problems we perceive.

Literature, works from others to help us develop our selves through either acceptance of the author's insights or reflection of our selves and how we interpret the content, is not necessary for life. It's like listening to the advice of old folks as a child.

Fiction is a necessity because, at the core of fiction, is altering our experience of reality. Yes, much of fiction is mere escapism, but babies learn and mold their realities growing up based on the local fiction available -- society itself is only a systemic approach to belief structures, in order for the vast majority of humanity to co-exist without resorting to violence and tribalism. Furthermore, without fiction and bending reality, even the leaders would not be where they are.

>Basically everything we experience and thus perceive depends on the stories we tell ourselves and each other, which is the core of fiction.
>And then there's luck, evolution, physics, food, health, etc. which are all more "real" necessities than fiction and literature.

From one user to faggots, with love.

Was Chesterton dumb? Fiction IS literature.

I don't know but indeed you are dumb

i am. about to btfo your shit but a simple google search of "define fiction" lends you credence.
>you're still a faggot

What the FUCK

>literature in the form of prose, especially short stories and novels, that describes imaginary events and people.

So, what, films aren't fiction? Video games aren't fiction? This is stupid. If it tells a non-factual story it's fiction.

you are only embarrassing yourself

>"Fiction IS literature."
>"Fiction: literature in the form of prose, especially short stories and novels, that describes imaginary events and people."
it's there, right at the first of the sentence defining fiction. that's why i couldn't btfo at the other user. i was wrong, user was not.

films and video games are different media than written/typed prose, and rarely rely directly on prose. now, the screenwriting and story/concept design for the film and video games would be considered prose, which would be considered fiction, which is literature.

you're confusing "fictional"/not real, the concept, with fiction as a written/typed storytelling medium, the utility.

i did the same thing before i searched and confirmed it is as the other user noted.

It just seems like an unhelpful distinction. It confuses more than it clarifies. I'd move to have it modified, if possible.

orrr you could accept you were wrong, take it as a positive that you learned something about a subject you're passionate about from someone else's mistake on a wafflemelon shitposting forum on the internet.

i'm a bit miffed i was wrong, too, but it's aight because i'll be wrong again and i learned something.

He wasn't right, but he is interesting. That's Chesterton's value, to make you think. Much like Foucault.

He was a fat fuck with a stupid haircut and alaways complained about his mustache getting into his mouth when all he had to do was fucking comb it.

It's the other way around

BTFO
T
F
O

Can you elaborate as to why the remark had to do with me?