Will perfect native English speakers and grammar nazis on this board please tell me what is actually wrong with the...

Will perfect native English speakers and grammar nazis on this board please tell me what is actually wrong with the sentence in pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/wait-or-wait-for
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think "when" necessitates some subordinate clause as in "When your love for number seven very strong, you're committed to an asylum."

Other problems
>number 7
Generally in formal writing you write out the word in lieu of the numeral. "Number seven" also suggests that you're referring to some object other than the number itself. It should rather be "the number seven."
>Style
This is written like a meme caption on Facebook, which I assume it is. No one should ever write like this.

There are probably more problems but that should get you started.

>There are probably more problems
Can you please highlight them? Would be very appreciated.

someone brought an iphone 7.
Move on, nothing to analyze here.

What if "is" was replaced with "be?"
I'm the same user.

Style is the most horrible thing about it. Grammar seems fine, though I'm not a native speaker.

"When your for the number seven is so strong, that you've waited years to own what you've wanted all along."

Basic grammar rules that you remain consistent in tense and never begin a sentence with the word 'and.' It's also a run-on sentence.

>When your love*

you'd sound like a pirate, or ghetto

>you've waited
No.

>never begin a sentence with the word 'and.'
well memed

>never begin a sentence with the word 'and'
Is this really a basic grammar rule and not a stylistic one? I can think of a few situations where starting a sentence with "and" would sound natural.

Yes.

Present Simple would indicate something you do usually (in this case he usually waits for years for something he have wanted all along)

Right.

>never begin a sentence with the word 'and.'
Go shit in streets, pajeet.

Wrong.
Also "You've waited" is present perfect not present simple(sp.) used to indicate an accomplishment: waiting years for the phone.

Don't listen to the autists in this thread; poems are allowed to use incomplete sentences. It's still a shitty poem, but not because of its grammar.

>its a poem

Comma...and?

Unfortunately english is a language which can be fucked around with so much that I dunno what is and isn't correct, slang only complicates things more

Any number under 11 should always be written as it is spelled.

>brought

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

I'd translate like so:
>tfw you've waited years for the iGalaxyNote7 because seven =

Your knowledge of grammar is bad.

>Shitty
Your mom is shitty.

>never begin a sentence with the word 'and'

DFW BTFO

First problem with the sentence is that it is two sentences.

>So strong that you wait years.

You don't wait years. You wait for years.
"Wait years" is incredibly awkward, and by awkward, I mean the diction is awkward.

Secondly.

>And on that note...

The "and" is redundant. Not in a "you don't start a sentence with and" way. "On that note" is a transition phrase itself.

The addition of "and" to that sentence does not do anything, neither does its removal.

"On that note, say hello to my phone".
"And on that note, say hello to my phone".

Makes no difference.

It could be argued that omission of "and" helps the sentence, stylistically.

That's all I have to say.

>You don't wait years. You wait for years.
>"Wait years" is incredibly awkward, and by awkward, I mean the diction is awkward.
No? dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/wait-or-wait-for

Stylistically, it is.

No, it isn't.

You all need to fucking kill yourselves because there's literally nothing wrong with those sentences.

Simply this. It's a sentence fragment.

"When you X...." Okay, what the fuck about it?

Any number under 20 actually

Finally. 'Sentence fragment' should have been the first reply.

No. Because the narrator has clearly stated "love" and "number 7" as in "when your love for number 7 is "so" strong THAT you wait...

It's still a dependent clause, you fucking retard.

How?

No you absolute idiot.

Holy dear God.

"When" is a fucking adverb. There is no verb that it is trying to modify, BECAUSE THERE IS NO INDEPENDENT CLAUSE

>When I wait for years because I love seven.
(you're wrong)

God you guys are so stupid.

The narrator didn't fucking mean to use "when" as an adverb in that sense. Learn how to fucking read, god damn it.

It doesn't make sense because there's no goddamn action verb. It's like saying "When you eat a sandwich." When you eat a sandwich what? Using your definition, it could be expressed as "the time at which I ate a sandwich." Doesn't work. Nothing is happening in that sentence.

Okay. Let me break this down for you.

"When you X" must be joined with a Y.
X represents "your love for number seven is so strong that you wait years to own what you've wanted all along".... But what about it? You have to make a stamement in order for this clause to make sense.

It's the same as "that awkward moment when..." But what about the akward moment? Your stating what moment is, but there IS NO SUBJECT OR VERB.

IT

IS

A

SENTENCE

F R A G M E N T

>But what about it? You have to make a stamement in order for this clause to make sense.
The narrator has made that statement. It's "And on that note, say hello to my new phone." Damn it.

That's a completely different thought. It's a new sentence that doesn't make the preceding sentence not a fragment. The "when" has to have something happen to it. Or have it do something. Anything. There's no verb.

For example:
Never go shopping for thing when you're drunk. And on that note blah blah blah
[uploads picture]

Which is absolutely correct.

Uh, no, because there's a verb there.

"Shopping when drunk. And on that note blah blah blah."

Not correct.

Not nessesary just like the "for" in year like this user said and this . Also, the narrator used "And" between his first and second statement.

"When your love for number seven is so strong, and on that note, say hello to my new phone."

No. There is no independent clause.

Maybe it'd be better if it was rewritten as "when your love for number 7 is so strong, you wait years to own what you've wanted all along." But this changes the tone of the sentence from retarded meme speech to a real sentence.

Wait, are you saying the "Never go shopping for thing when you're drunk. And on that note blah blah blah" is incorrect?
>[uploads picture]

I already knew you shouldn't ask native speakers about grammar, but it looks like you shouldn't ask them about style either

That is a seperate sentence, you stupid fucking moron. OP asked if what he said was grammatically sound, so we had to look at it structurally. It isn't a matter of whether we understand what it is trying to say--we understand clearly what is being conveyed. But the first sentence is OP's pic is not structurally sound because it does not have a subject and verb to found an independent clause.

Okay, now I know you've been trolling me. is correct because, while it does not have a subject, the verb is an imperative.

Wait... you're agreeing with me.

THAT DOESN'T MAKE THE FIRST SENTENCE COMPLETE

Whoops, I meant to reply to this user

>That is a separate sentence
No it isn't because there is an "and" between "when your love..." (and) "on that note..."

he's b8ing you or a LARPing south american

case in point

So, mean to say "when your love for number 7 is so strong, you wait years to own what you've wanted all along" is a correct sentence because there is a comma and not "that?" lol you're funny.

Goddammit. He really fucking rustled my jimmies.

It corrects the sentence in the image because there is now a dependent clause and an independent clause. In sentences with an "when x, y" structure you don't want to use "that" before the y part, as it gives the impression that it is yet another dependent clause. If anything, you want to use "then", but this makes it sound very much like a conditional.

What else would you say is missing? How is the new sentence not correct? Sure, it is weird and it does not convey much, but what is grammatically erroneous?

It's better than yours.

No, it's not.

You think so? Ok, maybe you're right.

You guys are retarded. I'd made a thread about the same questing a couple of days ago. There I was told it is correct like this way "when your love for number seven is so strong that you wait for years to own what you've wanted all along. But now they say it's incorrect. I'm starting to think you guys are too low for my English.

I'm always right, idiot.

reported

The writer is trying to convey that his love for number seven is deep, and he's waited years to buy the one thing (the one which has the number 7) he wanted to buy really long time ago.

Translation: He wanted to buy the phone but bailed out because his favorite number is seven and he realized that someday the phone will be available with that digit.

The first sentence is passive when it should be written assertively. It's written passively on purpose because it's trying to denote there are physical cues which are furthered in the second sentence. These cues don't exist (maybe a picture went with this?). Honestly those look like two random sentences strewn together. I'm guessing you mean iPhone 7 or something related.

A better alternative: When you love the number seven sooo much that you take years to own what you always wanted... and on that note, say hello to my new phone. (Insert pic)

Here's what's wrong: there's no context.

>"Number seven" also suggests that you're referring to some object other than the number itself. It should rather be "the number seven."
Did you even read it faggot? Clearly the author is talking about the iphone 7. Apparently even facebook meme captions are 2deep4u

Who cares if it's a fucking sentence fragment, it's a meme.