My smile is stuck

>My smile is stuck
>I cannot go back to your Frownland

Is this good poetry?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's dada. not terrible

One of the greatest aesthetic successes in music next to Spirit Theyre Gone and Down Colorful Hill.

>Spirit Theyre Gone
>Theyre

Patrician

definite proof that this album is genius and anyone who doesn't like it is objectively a pleb:

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

Yes, that's the title. Are you crucifying me for the lack of apostrophe?

>enters /mu/ once

it's not the title

Yes it is.
This is the equivalent if someone mentioned Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy and I said >visits Veeky Forums once.

It's impossible to compare lyrics to poetry. Sometimes poetry can be sung and becomes surprisingly good lyrics, but sometimes lyrics that are good when sung aren't good poetry taken out of context.

Lyrics are typically made to be sung. There is something in the way that Beefheart sings the lyrics which lends a greater meaning to them then the words alone.

Not only that, but once having heard the song, it is almost impossible to read the lyrics but in any other way in one's head than the way Beefheart sang them; thus, it is very difficult to get an objective view of its poetic merit.

In general, lyrics are meant to go with music and have and expressive emotional content behind them due to the intricacies of voice and music which can't be captured in mere words.

When you read lyrics out of context, they often seem like haphazardly written, without any meter whatsoever (in fact, even more nonmetrical and haphazard than a lot of free-verse), and the only limitation imposed is rhyming lines (and the lyricist often doesn't even care if they rhyme that strictly). This is fine in lyrics, because you can sing it so it matches up with the rhythm. As poetry, it doesn't work so well.

Moreover, metaphors and similes and wordplays that seem clunky and simplistic and even awful out of context can be forgiven in music because of the emotion of the speaker behind them, something you can sense in the human voice, but not in the written word.

If an incredibly emotional person writes something laughably poorly, this will just seem like something hilariously melodramatic, clunky, and ridiculous. If this same person sings what he has written in a beautiful voice, you'll suddenly be very moved, even think that it's good lyrics

All in all, the question of whether lyrics can be good poetry is idiotic. Almost all lyrics, taken out of context, are bad poetry, even good and great lyrics.

>This is the equivalent if someone mentioned Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy and I said >visits Veeky Forums once.
No, because those books aren't memed to death on this board like Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished and Trout Mask. anco was mu most talked about band for several years

look, you haven't posted the title.

MPP, Strawberry Jam, Feels, Sung Tongs, Campfire Songs, and even Painting With are all talked about more on there. TMR is talked about (notice how much different it is when I don't use memed) because it's one of the most significant releases in contemporary music.

/mu/ is a terrible board for anything other than recs

>MPP, Strawberry Jam, Feels, Sung Tongs, Campfire Songs, and even Painting With are all talked about more on there
Spirit is the overall favourite, it always was. TMR is literally the most memed album on that board besides MBDTF
It's weird that you took your musical taste from /mu/ but failed to capture its ethos

If you're honestly comparing Trout Mask Replica to those two or anything like them you've been terminally memed the fuck out.

what is this image supposed to tell me? i'm not trying to be pedantic but you mangled the title so badly it's a wonder i even recognized it

Comparing Trout Mask to what? Please don't tell me you're intentionally missing the point to be pedantic about "How could such a thing like _____ compare to such a great work of literature." I really hope that's not what you're doing although I had to assume someone would eventually considering people are here to argue rather for entertainment.

what are you even talking about?

???

Trout Mask is comparable to those two if we're talking pop music, and not music as a whole. Same for Spirit desu

Go back to mu you pathetic hipster