Why study literature in college? Why shouldn't everyone major in STEM? Wouldn't majoring in math further our world ?

Why study literature in college? Why shouldn't everyone major in STEM? Wouldn't majoring in math further our world ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_PmyDS7Z3XQ
english.columbia.edu/graduate/orals-reading-list
youtube.com/watch?v=PBwAxmrE194
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>deriving an "ought" from an "is"

Why dya wanna further the world and why dya think everyone should also work on it? Also, whachu mean further the world?

Because it is the human dream. And by further I mean work together to learn our world and to help advance technology for our lives

>Because it is the human dream.
I don't know where you got that idea.
>I mean work together to learn our world and to help advance technology for our lives
How would people studying STEM facilitate that?

What if you studied literature if you liked it, but also studied a STEM field

Technology doesn't help humanity, kid. God, the fact that people still haven't even noticed. You're just going to continue the advancement of the industrial society, and further the evolutionary mismatch we've been undergoing for some centuries now.

>because it is the human dream
See: you do not represent the entirety of humanity
Alternatively, see: spooks.
>help advance technology for our lives
So you assume technology is what betters life the most?

Shut off your computer and go live in the woods.

You are absolutely correct. Minor in what you love, major in what secures your lifestyle.

you're right. jump through those hoops! there's a bone at the end! good boy!

im 35. i already made my errors, majored in history and literature.

Luckily I was excellent at LinkedIn Marketing analytics.

1/2

life is not about maximizing the GDP of your host nation you fucking tool

So life is being some bohemian majoring in book studies? Why should society care about you

I might as well. But what will that bring me? I'm going to be alone, have memories of people I've left, and as Kafka said "misstep can't be avoided" I will fall into despair. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by acting like I'm a hypocrite for hating the industrial society yet use a computer. I can't help but ride out whatever will come next, because just as unnatural it is to live in these times, it's just as unnatural to live alone perpetually fighting civilization itself. We're trapped.

There are tons of artsy coffee houses that need anons extra 2-3 Neetbux

why should I care about society caring about me?

Isn't that response horrifically non-sequitor?

>people in America major in hobbies

i'm not arguing that society should care about me. i'm giving advice: don''t live to optimize society.

>College
lel

>STEM
lel

>furthering our world
top lel.

Enjoy wasting your precious years on little numbers and math equations for a world that doesn't care and probably won't last that long anyways.

youtu.be/_PmyDS7Z3XQ

enjoy wasting your precious years masturbating to cartoons and shitposting on anime forums, that's truly the good life!

that's because we're a prosperous and successful nation, struggling third worlders who are desperate have to study stem, nothing says "fresh off the boat" more than majoring in engineering, at with computer science some people are legit geeks who just like writing code, but engineering is total crap for economic refugees lol

>human
>dream
>work together
>learn
>world
>help
>advance

heh, got a while to go kid

Not OP, but seriously, why not just keep it as an interest? Same with history or philosophy.

keep it as an interest as opposed to...?

College is so decayed, whored, confused and expensive that frankly almost nobody should go there,.

Not joking even slightly.

people who are smart, want to make a difference, and want money major in law or medicine, you can see the dumbing down of our society when people resort to stem and finance to try to make money, what's the matter? verbal iq not high enough for law? organic chem too tough? yeah, i guess u better be an ... engineer

I used to believe this, even after one whole year at a community college. Thankfully, I came to my senses and majored in STEM while studying philosophy on the side and making friends with liberal arts people.

>inb4 community college
Nigga, I played my cards rights and transferred to a good University at half the cost.

spending 200000 bucks on a degree in the field

/thread

kill yourself OP

Spending 200,000 dollars on an education you could get for 6 bucks in late fees at the boston public library.

>i don't like the fact that my faucet only turns on once a day so i should stop drinking water

Majoring in math, no. Majoring in something doesn't guarantee that you'll either a) graduate or b) even be good at it.

>quoting Good Will Hunting
Let me guess. You're a genius, right?

It's the best life, actually. If you are the kind to be posting on Veeky Forums I think you will come around to this eventually, it will probably be too late though and you will be face deep in some paperwork around the age of 40.

You have no true moral and philosophical basis for your own perceived self-righteousness. We are on the cusp of watching it all burn. Sooner than later, perhaps not in our lifetime though, all of our known culture is going to be pointless.

God doesn't care how close you reach to him.

dude, you clearly don't get how education works in america, those expensive schools are how we reinforce class stratification, if you can afford to blow 200 gees to read some greek crap then people know "this guy is of the monied class" then u get striving immigrants and trashy whites doing crap like stem desperately hoping to hit the middle class one day

what the fuck is society? can you provide a definition that is consistent with the notion of it "caring" about anyone?

So we can all have a robotic post-scarcity life where we can sit around all day writing and studying literature.

Retard alert

the thing is tho....if you're soooo into literature then why wouldn't u want to go to uni and study it formally? and since ur such a snowflake ull get plenty of scholarships so inb4 muh debt etc face it ur just a pussy and everyone can see, the only person stupid enough to believe ur excuses is u lol

>futility excuses inaction

disgusting

is spending $200k or keeping history/phil/lit an interest a true dichotomy?

St Johns =/= Cornell and Swarthmore

certainly not, but I can read all of this:
english.columbia.edu/graduate/orals-reading-list
and then read the books and commentary from the same professors by paying about 150 bucks to my local state university to use their library to copy and paste pdfs 10 times a year.

Fag alert

Do you even realize how bogus universities are right now? Are you completely unaware of your surroundings?

yet you don't explain why this was the correct decision.

I mean you could study literature at east bumsfuck state college, but thats wasting 40k no matter what.

>Do you even realize how bogus universities are right now? Are you completely unaware of your surroundings?

how would you know since you've never attended higher ed obviously, because some jew with a youtube channel told you to stay on the farm and be a trump voter? cool, jared kushner approves

are your only options keeping history/philosophy/lit as an interest, spending $200k, or spending $40k?

It wasn't obvious?

youtube.com/watch?v=PBwAxmrE194

I dont see where you are going.

You could of course major in something useful, like petrochemical engineering, and then minor in literature, which would probably benefit you at an interview, since it shows you arent just an automaton.

>like petrochemical engineering

Yes major in being a neolib stooge. Very useful holding the world at ransom.

well, it is obvious that it's self-centered affirmation and avoiding explanations at the risk of being challenged because cognitive dissonance is painful and you do not want to confront the idea that you have wasted your time and resources. I am only asking because I find the fallacious justifications people come up with interesting.

Everything is in action, at all moments. There is no such thing as not doing something. Your standards of personal action are just skewed towards some sort of twisted sense social responsibility. Do you honestly care about our society that much? Your values don't matter because people don't care anymore, everything is just survival and pleasure that fuels the economy. You won't change anything. But anyways, I don't even care what you or anybody does, go and try to enjoy your short days, just don't come back when you realize you made some sort of regretful life decision based on your debt to society.

I can't handle simple maths, but I can understand theoretical physics.

I can't handle a conversation with a girl, but I can delve further than Muehler, Dundes, or Campbell.

I can't program/code for the life of me, but I could run 10km with a 200lb weight vest and work 120h/week.

Not everyone is amazing, or can be more than "good" at something, but everyone is great in at least one thing.

>After all that cliché shit, it would probably turn into a numbers game, OP. Humanity could be amazing if we banded together on the same subjects even for a month at a time, but really... at least 70% of humanity would drag down the 28% or so that would be moderately useful by providing ideas for the 2% who could problem-solve at the levels required to further humanity.
I think it'd be better if we could, like a 4X game, allocate 70% of humanity to continuing existence and 30% to specific tasks, but it would be circular so in any sector people are doing their best. I'm certain that's where we're trying to head, on a global level.
>Certain because we provide the greatest wealth, resources, and power to the people who put other people in the "right places," which, at the moment, is entrepreneurs and business leaders. Used to be mystics/oracles/bards/storytellers/philosophers/divines/alchemists/scientists.

realest hip-hop song of a lifetime

if someone is telling you something is futile and bogus it's because they have an interest in you avoiding it

the difference is that no one is saying engineering is futile or bogus. it's effective, but for dehumanizing, humiliating, and unsustainable ends

You seem like the type who thinks he's above it all by not going to uni but hasn't accomplished jack shit in his pathetic life

10/10 do not envy

>everything but sitting in your room reading or furiously pounding on the internets is submitting to some hideous cabal that creates the means for which you are able to sit in your room and read or pound on the internets not submitting to some hideous cabal that creates the means for which you are able to sit in your room and read and pound on the internets.

that's because the entire discussion is non-sequitor, which is my point. refer to the original post I responded to, why or why not keep anything as an interest? and what opposes something being an "interest"? there is no clear answer, as you two have demonstrated by naming random paths you could choose alternatively. using the same logic, I could say that you should paint your walls with urine because blue paint is more expensive. do you have to paint your walls with anything in the first place? complete nonsense.

>major in something useful
"useful" is a relative term. to whom? for what purpose?

are you on drugs? this is so spacey and non-sequiturial that i can't believe the person who wrote it could operate a motor vehicle

This is why we need literature, for people like you who can't read or think. Back to your abacus.

the guys who founded air bnb (multi billion valuation) were from art school, you're either smart or you aren't, no piece of paper is going to change that

>still trying to justify deriving an "ought" from an "is"

but at least they'll still be original

No discussion allowed at the library dweeb.

Everybody on this fucking board thinks they are above it all. Also, you are a retard if you envy anybody in the first place.

this desu

XD

>spend your time working in a specialized degree
>if everyone wanted/could do it you'd lose special snowflake status
>other countries are taking the 'quantity not quality' approach to stem degrees anyway and your field will be overrun by thousands of PHPajeets and chinese while America still tries to revive the coal industry

you all are like microbes to me. I'm observing you underneath a microscope.

>one arts major did good
This is statistically a meme. It's like saying that failed artists could become leader of a nation and start a world war killing hundreds of millions. HEY MAN IT COULD HAPPEN LOOK AT HITLER

I'm fully convinced after reading this thread that this board is infested with underage b& retards. Or just retards. Its hard to tell.

Lolis are hentai, not cartoons.
>can differentiate literature and genrefic, eastern and western philosophy, but not eastern and western media

Point well taken, otherwise.

>I also raise you a "do all and succeed"
Nobody said I couldn't manage several rental properties, a B2B sales business, study STEM, and fap to lolis.
>totally not at all that I can't talk to women
>or that the ones i'm interested in don't exist irl
>it's my choice
>it's my life

>PHPajeets

holy shit

>he thinks minoring means anything to anyone

lmao

>Le everybody in this board is underage

Wow man, you proved how smart you are to everybody else. Congrats on your doctorate in Faggotology.

this kind of defeatist attitude is what makes you an evolutionary dead end.

actually selecting a Humanities course to Flesh Out Your Resumé is exactly what an automaton would do. instrumental reason at its finest

>he thinks it's about luck

>'further' our world

Holy shit I thought I was the only one who noticed

It's really not hard to see that there will be a point in time where our efforts of "progression" will ultimately be futile. You can be into math all you want. Who gives a fuck? If that's what really satisfies you, go ahead.

If you really want to be virtuous, do what truly pleases you, without succumbing to the needs of society in whatever way you perceive it. If what you do is somehow beneficial, fine. If not? Fine. It is a mistake to be lead into doing something from any source other than your own soul. People look for retarded justification for fucking everything they do.

nah
we see it coming like the ethereum dip
>matter of time before we click ourselves backward

I dont know what you hoped to accomplish with this post.

the point is what you major in in college has nothing to do with what you do with your life, if you're exceptional you'll do exceptional things, if you're a mediocre piece of shit you'll major in stem

I accomplished in calling you a stupid fag, faglord.

FPBP

If you can't see a vision of humanity expanding into an interstellar civilization, you are an evolutionary dead end. Its fact. We must meter today's problems with optimism while addressing them. We already have the technology to save our planet. We just aren't doing it, because it won't turn a profit. Think about that for a second. The world, our planet, the only one, the one that every single human being who has ever lived lived their lives on, we are systematically destroying. We also KNOW we're doing it, and we allow it because it is profitable. I think its a disgrace, and people like you are the complacent ones who allow it. What kind of a future do you want for your kids? What about everyone else too? If your ambition doesn't entail assuring some sort of acceptable future for our species, fine. Go fuck off somewhere and contribute nothing and die. Some of us have a vested interest in our continued survival.

I hope you derived some sort of satisfaction from it. I really don't care. Good on ya, mate.

T./r/Veeky Forums

it's a mistake to think that engineers have the ability to change this. even if they could somehow actualize their skills outside of profit structures (not possible because of private property and how RnD is funded), any humanistic interest in the species has been hard-baked out of the, by STEM education. it's hopeless for now.

luckily with the onset of deskilling and surplus population, eventually engineers will be just as immiserated as the skilled laborers that preceded them. it's like Orwell said, however ironically: if there is any hope, it is with the proles, in this case the proles-to-come.

the people who are going to do this are guys like jeff bezos or elon musk, which is to say super rich industrialists, and being a super rich industrialist doesn't really have much to do with what you majored in back in college

What makes you think a college grad or an engineering student who majored in a subject to make money will change the world? What makes you think they even care?

Why do these threads always garner at least a 100 replies? Are you all really that insecure about your hobbies?

someone who picked a major based on chances of having an easy time finding a job is definitely too risk averse to accomplish anything important

Thanks Carl Sagan. I can't wait to colonize the stars with our billboards, super markets, and industrial vacuum cleaners. You are spouting the rhetoric of the techno-industrial variant of Manfiest Destiny.

There is nothing inherent in the stars beyond more stuff. All you want is seeing and collecting more stuff, that's it.

But I get really chum when you call me an evolutionary dead end, that title feels pretty important actually.

According to you science lads nothing is permanent anyways, so why do you get all uptight and self-important about these things?

Then nearly all engineers will not accomplish anything important.