Get the Victorinox meme knife on sale

>get the Victorinox meme knife on sale
>everything cuts like a dream
>vegetable prep is so much faster

Why didn't I just get one before?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fU2mbWwVSXU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yours just says made in Switzerland, really it was made in China.

Welcome to the good life, bro. Glad you decided to finally join us.

just don't throw them in a dishwasher or the handles get fucky. not that you should ever even use a dishwasher but whatever.

Now buy a tristone or a Lansky kit, or the like, and use it from time to time. Not a meme wedge sharpener.

You'll also need a :^) sharpening :^) rod, and a stone if the stick is steel and not ceramic. That green 400/1000 is good enough.

>Why didn't I just get one before
Thank the idiot who posts "you don't need $40 knife, just get 40 $1 knives at Walmart" or some other retarded statement and who has probably never held a truly good knife in his hand. Not that anybody in the know would ever consider the Victorinox a truly good knife. Its more comparable to how a Chevy Sonic would blow you away if you had only driven Trabants or 1960s VW Beetles before that.

I know there are better knives out there, but the price gap between a Fibrox and White #1 carbon steel gyuto made by a respectable Japanese knife maker is pretty wide, much wider than the one between $9 Walmart knife and $40 Fibrox.

i got my knife at the dollar store and after properly sharpening it, its just as good as the ones ive used while working at restaurants

>not full tang
>no visible pins or screws locking the blade to the handle
enjoy it getting wobbly and outright dangerous to use in a year once the glue goes bad

>glue goes bad in well-made knives

Even $900 Japanese knives with traditional "wa" handle has glue. The glue will hold the handle fine on Fibrox even if you throw it in the dishwasher every eay.

Thanks to you i got the same one today because it was 50% off. I'll test it later. Won't hurt too much if it's shit, the handle looks suspiciously cheap indeed. Was really tempted to just buy the one next to it who was one piece, but thought i'll give it a try anyways.

>50% off
Where?

I got one too a while back.

It was like $20 or somethin.

I'm in switzerland and migros has 50% off on them every few months. I always buy new victorinox steak knives when they are on sale. Can't eat with anything else anymore. Those shitty butterknives to eat meat? No thanks.

>I always buy new victorinox steak knives when they are on sale.
You know you can sharpen steak knives like you sharpen chef knives, no? That is, unless you have one of those shitty "steak knives" with serrated edges.

Yeah, i get the ones with serrated edges because for some autistic reason i like them better. And they are only about 1.50 when on sale, so i just get new ones. Don't judge.

>I get a new knife
>it's not dull yet
>wow this meme knife really works!
>recommend it to all my friends
>two weeks later it's dull as shit
>I don't know how to fix it

Shouldn't a steak knife have a serrated edge because it's used on hard plates?

I put mine in the dishwasher, nothing bad happened

Have you considered sharpening it?

>sharpening
honing is the word you are looking for

I said what I meant, faggot.

Stop saying meme, it instantly makes you an asshole.

Sharpening is taking the metal edge off. Honing is straightening that edge, got it? Good.

Honing also takes off metal.

Why do you pedantic fuck ups exist?

here you go, moron

youtube.com/watch?v=fU2mbWwVSXU

Like talking to human filth.

I seriously hope you rinse your knives after honing.

I'm hope you hone your sharpened knives after proving you're a human incompetent and then washing your knives.

Whats it like spending your life as a stupid asshole troll on Veeky Forums? Is this mommies basement or is someone paying you?

Whats it like spending your life as a stupid asshole troll on Veeky Forums? Is this mommies basement or is someone paying you?

>not full tang
>no visible pins or screws locking the blade to the handle
>enjoy it getting wobbly and outright dangerous to use in a year once the glue goes bad
Listen to this moron talk like he knows what he's talking about.
The ten inch I bought eleven years ago, the twelve inch six years ago, and they both get daily use.
They're fine, as are the rest of my Fibrox knives.

>its just as good as the ones ive used while working at restaurants
That just means the knives you used at the restaurants were shit as well. Get a Kagayaki Basic or CarboNext at japanesechefsknife.com or something similar, it stands head and shoulder above the Victorinox for less than 100 bucks.

I'd rather get twenty Kiwis :-)

wat what? whats wrong with this? I use a stone but why would I not rinse them after? they're all covered in sand

i have never used a non-full tang knife that wasn't wobbly as fuck after a month except for the two (2) at the breakfast place i worked at in college. my friends have these fancy knives, my roommates have bought these sorts of knives, they all fall apart in 30 days or your money back. the only secure kitchen knife I've used regularly is my nice off-brand ginsu knockoff that has a proper tang and pins

if your knife isnt full tang get it the fuck outta my face. you may as well use a folding pocket knife

I admit KIWIs arent bad, I have some of them in my collection desu

>japanesechefsknife.com

How good are their sets? I'm moving out on my own and could do with some decent knives.

>the lines are already all off
>the glue is starting to seep
>no fucking edge to speak of
that looks like a trash knife that you havent taken care of at all on top of it

now THOSE are how knives should be built
>nice straight line for ergonomics
>proper full tang; even if the handle falls off or breaks you cna still use it
>shellacked handles, easy to clean
>edges are actually present
>where the edge meets hantle is all metal so it won't accumulate filth and seeping glue
9/10 all it needs are those little divots on the faces of the blade so wet stuff doesnt stick to it as you chop

Never buy sets, you will end up paaying a ton of money for knives you will hardly ever use and whose handles wonn't be comfortable because they needed to match that of the much larger chef's knife designwise. Get a really good chef's knife, all teh rest (parer, slicer, bread knife, petty) can be cheap stuff from Victorinox or Wüsthof SilverPoint series. Invest the saved money into a good, large wooden endgrain cuttin board. The only exception might be a good bread knive if you eat a lot of bread or large cakes. Try a Tojiro ITK or knives from Güde.
The HAttoris in your pic are pretty good, I have two FHs myself (gyuto in 240 and 270mm)

This. Maintainence is part of cooking. Before cutting onion or tomatoes one should always swipe it over a sharp ening stick. If the sharpening stick doesn't help anymore it's time to use the wetstone.

>Invest the saved money into a good, large wooden endgrain cuttin board.

This is actually good advice. So many people I know have $100+ individual knives but use them on some cheap plastic sheet. If you can't bludgeon someone to death with a cutting board it's no good.

How does the imarku compare with the victorinox?
Is it worth paying a bit more for the latter?

>endgrain
Why would you want a face made of end grain? My woodworking experience tells me that such a cutting board would be incredibly brittle and break very easily if it's not 乇乂ㄒ尺卂 ㄒ卄丨匚匚 but even then a small crack would spell inevitable disaster

Wouldn't you want the long grain to run across the board (i.e. perpendicular to you) so it's nice and strong?

>>the glue is starting to seep
you don't know what you are talking about, those knives are made with plastic handles that are injection molded around the blade. There is no glue involved and it will never become loose

>Wouldn't you want the long grain to run across the board
Yes, it would be more stable, but you would end up cutting the wood fibers crosswise and over time you would get tons of tiny splinters and they would snag your kitchen towel when you attempt to wipe it off. Its even worse with long grain bamboo baords. If you hhave an endgrainboard the edge of the knife will slide "between" the wood fibers, and they will close/self-heal again when you pull it out. Much easier on the knife and the board will never splinter. Its true that thin endgrain boards tend to crack, especially when left to soak in water. Just avoid thin boards and dont soak them, a really good board will last your your whole life. Like the ones from theboardsmith.com, I have heard Boos blocks are hit and miss quality wise.

no thanks ill continue just using a piece of scrap plexiglass held in place by a wet tea towel

oh great so it'll just outright snap out then one day

I'm pretty sure youu couldnt remove the handle with a vise and a mallet and chisel if you tried. Those things are rock solid.

i have several broken knives where exactly that has happened

the blades are fine but the handles are completely detached. useless.

They can split if used for prying too much.

If they get really hot it dulls the blade

Sure it does champ. I'd like you to explain to our viewers how really hot water "dulls the blade". Go ahead.

Prolonged exposure to hit temperature fucks up the tempering on knife blade and make them brittle and more prone to chipping.

Tempering is a carefully controlled process in knifemaking to get it to the right level or rigidity for the purpose and the shape knife with respect to the limitation imposed by the composition of metal. The final tempering temperature is surprisingly low (as low as 200F).

Constantly exposing your knife to 150F heat of dishwasher will fuck the tempering right off and make it brittle as shit. Exceptions are knives specifically marked dishwasher-safe. They are made from metal specifically formulated to not harden up below 300F.

What stupid fuck would ever put their knives in a dishwasher? Kill yourself.

do NOT buy a carbonext unless you know somebody with the skills and tools to thin it out. The material is great, but the geometry leaves much to be desired.
Do not know the kagayaki, so can't comment.

What is supposed to be wrong with the geometry? I have a 270mm gyuto in my collection, and while I havent used it yet it seems to be perfectly fine. It is at least as thin behind the edge as my Tojiro DPs were before I had them thinned, maybe even thinner, judging from the very narrow bevel. The CarboNexts are not supposed to be lasers, they are meant as workhorses. Mine is quite a few years old though, maybe they have deteriorated qualitywise in the last few years.

nothing outright wrong with it, but they can be so much more than they are, without becoming so fragile you're afraid of using them