I want to make tamales but I can't get corn husks. Is there anything I can use instead? Will newspaper work?

I want to make tamales but I can't get corn husks. Is there anything I can use instead? Will newspaper work?

Other urls found in this thread:

rickbayless.com/recipe/sweet-corn-tamales/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

foreskins

is a tamale like a shemale?

Mexicans who make good tamales are the best. Too much work for me to try myself and the local Mexican joint sucks.

I think banana leaves work too.

I don't see why the store selling the masa flour wouldnt also have corn husks tho.

You have to go into a mexican supermarket to get prepackaged corn husks.
Also, if you don't have access to a vaporera or a stock pot with a removable steaming attachment, don't even bother.

Parchment paper will work, dude.

You can use parchment paper or Banana leaf.

Banana planta leaves, not kidding, some tamales are Made that way in SE Mexico and turn out delicious

Ebay

Get premium, superior, extra large

These bigger nicer husk make the work go by faster and smoother

The trick is giving the masa with meat juices after the lard an wonderful workover ... the masa should float in warm water, once enough enough air has been incorporated

The masa is not the same consistency between both types

I just buy the microwavable tamales at Trader Joes. Actually, come to think of it, they fucking suck, but I keep buying them anyway out of habit.

Banana leaf. It's what Puerto Ricans use in our own version of tamales.

>I can't get corn husks

just... buy corn

get them on the internet you roodypoo

I only want the husks tho. I'd have to throw away a bunch of corn just to make tamales.
I needed them today. I already used parchment paper, the tamales are in the steamer now.

>I'd have to throw away a bunch of corn

just....
....coook it.....
...for another meal......

Use banana leaves, they're much better for tamales anyway.
Lel, my mom has that exact same one.

Every fucking mexican has one.

Or even just cut it off the cobs and freeze it.

Is it really that hard to find corn husks? I can find them I'm the Mexican aisle at most supermarkets, usually with the bagged spices.

where is a banana leaf more accessible than corn husks?

Hawai'i probably

I believe they should be blanched before freezing, otherwise the texture is going to be fucked when OP does decide to use them.

But yeah Rick Bayless has a good recipe for using fresh corn husks. You can use whatever filling you want in place of his, same principle overall. rickbayless.com/recipe/sweet-corn-tamales/

I have always wanted to make tamales myself, but it's so daunting because I know I will wind up making 10x more than I need, and I already have no room in my shitty freezer.

My local grocery store carries masa flour. But I have to go to an Indy mexican store to get the husks so I understand where OP is coming from.

If you don't live in a city, you can just ask a farmer and he'll let you take them for free.

Anywhere you have an Asian population or Asian aisles. Where I live there are no spics so the "Latin" aisle is literally just Tostitos and Ortega products, and Mexican Coke. But there are chinks everywhere, so banana leaf is more readily available.

Just dont wrap up

Eres un pendejo... Creanme o no... Que los pinches gringos no saben nada de aspectos culinarios de Mexico?

no that's a tramale

>getting this butthurt about a dish poor Mexicans make during Christmas just so they can have something to unwrap

>Use banana leaves, they're much better for tamales anyway.
this

I feel like the corn husk adds flavor though. I might be wrong.
Im really excited now, every year on the first weekend of december my family gets together and makes a couple hundred tamales. Theyre god tier. Easily my favorite food ever.

Why do you Mexicans curse like retards?

It's fun going to the poor grocery stores for poor people food like corn husks and dried chile.
I did find pig trotters and chicken feet there too, so that was great for stock.