Mfw he spent 150,000 dollars on an education he coulda got for 6 bucks in late fees at the Boh-sten public library!

>mfw he spent 150,000 dollars on an education he coulda got for 6 bucks in late fees at the Boh-sten public library!

Why would Stephen Harper say that?

Because he didn't waste his money on a meme degree and he's a big Matt Damon fan

>masters in economics
>not a meme degree

Hey at least he's still original. In 50 years you and I will still be here doing this shit we're doing now and that's okay. But Steven Harper was sitting on a winning lottery ticket and he wasn't too muh of a pussy to cash it in.

>tfw went to the school of hard knocks and the university of life instead

mfw he thinks his independent reading of Platonic dialogues compares to readings guided by a professor who specializes in Plato with tutorial discussion as a supplement, on top of detailed feedback of interpretation

Is that what they're calling the University of Calgary these days?

Seems like a waste of bucks to me. Upload one set of your lecture notes so I can see what all the fuss is about.

I imagine it's just some guy reiterating what Plato said in a less coherent fashion and assigning the class to write a 2500 word essay on some irrelevant question

>Unironically defending spending tens of thousands of dollars to dickride your """professor's""" opinions to get an alphabetical pat on the back

my courses are seminars so i don't really take notes on anything, it's all discussion.

you won't know what you're missing if you never actually experience it

Holy shit

Literally pay for a bunch of fleeting memories that you'll forget after a year

What's an example of the discussion then

I hate this meme. Sure, it's absolutely true in theory that one can learn any subject matter on one's own for virtually no cost. However, very few have the motivation to do so, and possibly the biggest reason to go to university nowadays (as shitty as this is) is for some type of degree or certification that will get a job. Not to say that there aren't "useless" majors that should just be studied on one's own time, but the majority of university students have a job in mind that requires a degree.

>you won't know what you're missing if you never actually experience it

>mfw i have intellectual discussion every day on Veeky Forums for free

lmoa jokes on you

>the majority of university students have a job in mind
oh shit

>you won't know what you're missing if you never actually experience it
I really regret not studying something that interests me.

It's not your fault.

America is a land ripe for oppurtunity my friend. If you can hack it, you can make it. And if you can't, GEEETTTT OOUTTT

>intellectual discussion
If you think that's what you're getting on Veeky Forums you've inadvertently exposed your brand of autodidactism desu.

>tfw free education

Feels good.

Rip sharp harp

not that guy but

a classmate gave a presentation about how machines can make art, like that shitty google algorithm that fills a photo with eyes

so i wrote my final paper on how machines can't make art, using the dennett--searle debate as a reference point

i got a B-

discussion sucked

i went to uni because it is a social norm. i honestly think i became a better, more conscious, more intelligent person. when i come back to my friends who didn't attend, they seem like they never grew out of high school

but i didnt do it for the degree. although it's kinda bs that so many entry level jobs require a bachelors. w/e, i aint mad, i got a full ride

>being American

It's Plato, do you know how many thousands of books have been written dissecting ever fucking word of his? You don't need a professor for a second opinion

I thought we all knew that outside of certain fields, almost everything can be learnt via internet? University is for connections and your career. You won't be getting a research position, for example, without acquiring it via university and academia. Even if you have equivalent or superior expertise.

A scrimmage in a Border Station-
A canter down some dark defile
Two thousand pounds of education
Drops to a ten-rupee jezail.

reading those thousands of books is a waste of time. The professor can lecture you on the relevant works so you can focus on the more important part which is synthesizing your own arguments/ideas.

meant for

>he doesn't just read and listen to Leo Strauss's lectures on Plato to free.
>he doesn't understand that The Republic alone teaches you how to think philosophically
>he doesn't just read other students papers on the subjects for free from the database stores at the State Library.

*stored at

hey, fag u do realize the socrates (assuming he's not a judaic conspiracy to deconstruct white nationalism) advocated dialogue and hated written text, so if ur so into greek shit then u shud know dialogue in class with a prof guiding u is the way the greeks would have wanted

it's always funny how "tradition" fags hate "cultural marxism" but fail to notice that the "culture of critique" started with socrates

Platonism prefigured Christianity
Socrates was a prophet to the Gentiles in the way that Elijah was to the Jews

These threads always remind me of
>I taught myself how to play guitar, which was a bad decision because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a shitty teacher.

Let me guess. You paid for an education you coulda got for free at the Boston public library