Is Don Quixote the most underrated work of all time?

Is Don Quixote the most underrated work of all time?

Not in the slightest. That tile goes to Infinite Jest

No, it's been quite highly rated for centuries.

No, it's considered foundational and the main if not only literary work of note from Spain

How is it underrated? It's commonly cited as one of the greatest works of art in the history of civilization

>only literary work of note from Spain
and you were doing so well up to this

It IS the only literary work of note for someone who doesn't speak Spanish. Calm down, Carlos.

No decent movie adaptations. Not alluded to much in media. Generally goes neglected outside of academic circles desu. Its definitely not treated like a Hamlet or a Faust.

t. American Highschool Junior

>still has yet to throws some names or titles out there

Last summer I remember some cunt Spaniard posting about how he got books for free stealing from public libraries.

You him my dude? Moroccans won the race war

How the hell can something widely acknowledged as a classic possibly be the most underrated book of all time?

Length of the book doesn't lend itself well to movie adaptions. You would want at least a two part movie to be faithful and it just doesn't have the draw of Harry Potter or LOTR because it was written too far before movies got big.

You're talking about the book that was in 2002 voted the greatest book of all time by a group of some of the most highly regarded and influential living writers? The one whose phrases, images and characters ("tilting at windmills", "quixotic", the countless Sancho's sayings...) have entered the common knowledge, much like Shakespeare's?

The Anglos treat Hamlet like that because it's a part of their national canon. They care about DQ and Faust much less because they are foreign. Probably the same situation is in Germany where they will care about Faust more and a bit less about DQ and Hamlet, and in Spain, where DQ will be on the first place.
I saw a decent Russian adaptation with Nikolay Cherkasov (played Ivan the Terrible and Alexander Nevsky in Eisenstein's movies). But it's not a particularly filmable book anyway. It's too episodic, long, has an archaic sense of humor and gets too meta in the second part. Shakespeare is much easier to adapt, you already have the whole script, you just need good actors and skillful direction.

It's like asking "Why isn't there a good movie adaption of war & peace?"

It's not that the book isn't underrated or not critically acclaimed, it's just that super long books are hard to adapt fundamentally, there are practical reasons why movie producers are wary of making movies in two parts not the least of which reason is that audiences hate watching a film that doesn't have a conclusion until the next year, and it's simply too old to justify doing it anyways.

Hamlet and Faust were both plays originally and thus designed with actors in mind. They translate to cinema easily.

You sound like you know more about lit than you do about film and don't really understand what goes into making a film adaption successful. It takes more than a book being good for an adaption to be successful.

>underrated

Have you even read the book?

Why do people keep saying adaption and not adaptation? I don't even know which is right. Ff

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is an upcoming fantasy-adventure-comedy film directed by Terry Gilliam and written by Gilliam and Tony Grisoni, loosely based on the novel Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. It is widely recognized as one of the most infamous examples of development hell in film history, with Gilliam unsuccessfully attempting to make the film a total of eight times over the span of nineteen years.

Yes, it's certainly underrated by pleb retards of no consequence. Whatever shall we do?

>QUIXOTIC
it has a whole adjective named after it WTFFFFF yyyyyouuu smoooookiinnnnn

War and Peace is certainly an important work but even that is in Seinfeld as a joke and mentioned here and there. But I should say Don Quixote is tremendously more important than War and Peace anyway in a historical context.

Which is generally only used by writers and academics.

10/10

I loved Don Quixote but Tristram Shandy is the most underrated Quixotic antihero of all time

>how to be black

Having black parents would be a good starting point.

>essentialism
>not constructivism
You really should actually have to read in order to post here.

Cut the ends off of your posts and they may be mistaken for intelligent discourse

>"Why isn't there a good movie adaption of war & peace?"
the 1966 adaptation is fire though

Cut the ends off of your penises and they may be mistaken for kosher.

I think because it's ultimately TOO good.

Hamlet and Faust could be seen as suffering from being too serious and full of themselves at times, so they lend themselves to parody, to poking fun, and to seeing it as something beneath you. People like to poke the air out of things they view as superior but having some flaws, it makes them feel better.

However, Don Quixote is itself a huge parody, and too funny and self-aware to parody. It's also, in its own way, almost too serious.

last one is my only post itt :^)

Lol