Has anyone ever had this? Is there any readily available bourbon that compares?

Has anyone ever had this? Is there any readily available bourbon that compares?

Also bourbon general

Post your favorites!

20 is better but 13yr rye was always my favourite, the 23 is wayyyy to woody.

I used to buy pappy 5-6 years ago when it was still a liitle overpriced but affordable.
Pappy is a pretty much meme, any bookers or old wild turkey of the late 90's or early 2000s (peak bourbon glut) is just as good or better.

Yes I know pappy is wheated

I would rather have 2 bottles of Rowans Creek, some good steaks, and the company good of good friends.

Heresy! Also the younger versions taste like corn pop cereal.

I was recommended Jefferson Presidential Reserve but it was a disappointment.

Bourbon is all the same. Wood & vanilla.
Fine flavors, but they get boring fast.

If you enjoy fruit and smoke, mezcal is where the real action is at.

>bourbon is all the same
yeah man

So you have had pappy and early 2000s bookers?

Tequila is honestly repulsive to me. Is mezcal much different?

Mezcal is tequila

It's good. It's not worthy of the hype it gets.
Elijah Craig 18 is comparable. Also, Booker's is in the same ballpark and affordable. Even Buffalo Trace, which is made in the same facility, is pretty good for the price.

t.Kentuckyfag who lives 30 miles from Pappy's distillery.

Mezcal is WAY different.
Fruit into smoke.

tequila is to Mezcal as vodka is to scotch

Is the /whisky/ general dead?

Mezcal is just made with a different type of agave. It's more like comparing potato vodka to rye vodka.

The 20 and 23 year old aren't as good as the 15. And a George T Stagg is just as good as the 15. Aging that long in a new oak barrel eventually starts to take better flavors than it imparts. Pappy is a great whiskey but has become a meme for people who don't know shit about whiskey.

Absolutely not.

You can buy some pretty shitty mezcal and some incredibly shitty tequila, but...

a reasonable mid-level mezcal offers complexity comparable to high-level scotch.

The thing is that you have to enjoy fruit and smoke. If you enjoy islays, speysides, or grappa you are going to find a lot to like with mid-to-high end mezcal. the low end is just tequila mislabeled.

Benchmark is my go to cheap bourbon. Have yet to try old granddad, is it worth the extra $2?

Old Grand Dad Bonded (100 proof) is excellent for its price point.

>tfw you have a relevant photo

Got this for a birthday present, haven't tried it yet.

Thoughts? How does it compare to regular MM?

Yes, this is the new thread

I can't bring myself to use good whisky to make old fashioned. What cheap brand of whisky/bourbon should I use?

My go-to cheap stuff is Evan Williams.

What is "good" and what is "cheap" for you?

I use the good stuff to make good cocktails, forget the price because I paid for it and will do as I please.

That being said my personal prefference would be for a high proof and high rye bourbon, if not a straight rye.
I find old fashioneds a little boring and dont usually make them, but if I do I want the bourbon to bring some spice to the table, wild turkey rare breed works well, if this is not cheap enough then the 101 will definitely do, if you are not a Turkey fan then maybe look at Buffalo Trace.

Jim beam black is very nice

Old Overholt

test

Tequila is literally mezcal. Mezcal isn't tequila by law.

Is there such a thing as a genuinely good tasting alcohol? My lifelong gameplan has been to just drink whatever I am handed as fast as I can to get to where I want to be.

I enjoy Bulleit bourbon. Their rye isn't too shabby either.

You must be 18 to post on this board sonny.

im 29 m8.

I've had Pappy but I got lucky. The Family Reserve is damned impossible to get ahold of. I'm pretty sure I've had Booker's but it was a long time ago.

I've had several others such as Four Roses which tasted sulphery to me. Like bad well-water.

As someone who's experience with American whiskey is only Jack Daniels, what would you recommend as a good American whiskey for drinking neat?

I fell for the Jack Daniels Meme, I hated it.
It was too sweet and tasted like corn.
I ended up throwing half the bottle over the fence into the field where the neighborhood mormon kids play.
Hopefully they find it and become alcoholic

The whiskey you use for an Old Fashioned is going to take the center stage, so you at least want to use one you enjoy drinking. Try Evan Williams 1783, James Pepper 1776, or Buffalo Trace.

but you should really use brandy for old fashioneds

>good tasting alcohol
>following the tao of drinking without sensing
little grasshopper, when you drink without sensing you can drink things that would make a goat puke

Makers Mark is generally loved neat. So is Wild Turkey.

I've tried it. It was definitely whiskey.
Pappy has that "you can't afford it" value that snobs love. They under-produce and stage mass "robberies" to make their product scarce and therefore expensive.

I am a fan of High Wests Prairie bourbon. It is really hot, but it is also very spicy. I like spicy bourbons.

This burbon isnt available in my neck of the woods. anyone tried it? impressions?

>MGP rye
>Utah
>Mormons
>Zionists
Nope

What is the general consensus on Rittenhouse the?

Being a non-burger who's more into scotch, I've only ever tried Jack Daniels and Jim beams, and summarily dismissed bourbon as sweet garbage. What are some bourbons that would help change my mind?

4 Roses single barrel
Wild Turkey 101
Buffalo Trace is good but pretty sweet
I really enjoy Maker's Mark but lots of people turn their noses up at it.

Jack Daniels isn't even bourbon and regular Jim Beam is like $13/bottle. Come on, man.

rittenhouse is good shit my dude. i love their rye. it's an incredible deal at only $26.

>Jack Daniels isn't even bourbon
It's literally bourbon, charcoal filtering and using their special snowflake "Tennessee Whiskey" labeling doesn't make it not bourbon

This.
The term "Tennessee Whisky" was mostly coined as a marketting strategy to differentiate them from other bourbons.

Flavoured bourbon should always be avoided

I was under the impression their charcoal filtering thing dropped them from a bourbon classification. Apparently that was wrong.

I am looking for some bourbon/whiskey suggestions. So far i've tried these

>Rittenhouse Rye
>Willett Pot Still Reserve
>Buffalo Trace
>Eagle Rare 10 Year
>Stagg Jr
>Suntory Toki

I've had a few miscellaneous ones here and there like James E. Pepper shit and some bullshit one that comes in a little magic potion style bottle. Will try p. much anything that isn't Makers Mark/Wild Turkey/Knob creek shit

No it is not boubon, Tennesee whiskey is a legal term like bourbon the main difference being the lack of requirement for new oak casks. This is how Jack Daniels can get away with its price point to some degree.

Those are all great whiskeys except the toki it sucks. And unfortunately for the price nowadays there is no good Japanese whiskey. If money isnt an issue there is a lot though.

But ya Four roses single barrel is killer for the price. And for Old fashioneds I have been using forty creeks a great canadian whiskey.

Show evidence that Jack Daniels uses old barrels

Tennessee whiskey is not a legal term it's a made up term to make it sound different than bourbon that follows ALL of the requirements for bourbon including the use of new barrels and is charcoal filtered.

Yeah man I also thought the toki was trash. I didn’t expect much since it was the cheapest but god damn that flavor was underwhelming

10/10 on presentation. But how's the taste?

4 roses single is fucking godly desu

Makers is only looked down upon because it's in every bar on the planet, but it's pretty good.

people like you deserve kentucky gentleman

but charcoal filtering don't taste so good

>forty creek

MY MAN

My first whisky

If you dont specify, they will use maker's Mark. But my fave is bulleit.

Forty Creek is a great example of a Canadian whiskey. It is so sweet it even embarrasses Bourbon drinkers and is pretty much only good in mixed drinks. I tried the copper still version and I got flashbacks to drinking in college.

Rebel Yell

>family reserve

Products that market themselves with memetics have no place in my cabinet.

>old family secret recipe
>hand made
>small batch
>rare
>reserve
>master

p-please respond

Maker's is looked down on because it is disgusting. Even trash like early times is more palatable.