Which language has the best literature? I think it would probably be Greek (Homer, Plato...

Which language has the best literature? I think it would probably be Greek (Homer, Plato, playwrights) and Italian (Dante and other medieval writers).

Other urls found in this thread:

ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Гycли_(Mepимe)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Guzla
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsbStzuRP4w
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_s5m06ofo6w
m.youtube.com/watch?v=sChuEODUq7o
m.youtube.com/watch?v=385biTwcKCU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPlK5HwFxcw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

is this bait? the answer is clearly english, even if you aren't an anglophile

t. anglo who hasn't learned any other language and has read nothing but anglo literature for his entire life

I'm not going to pretend that I can appreciate anything written outside of English, because I'm only just now approaching fluency for Latin, my first second language. BUT can we agree that this discussion is pretty dumb? What we want to know is what language we should learn to maximize our time on earth in order to read the best literature. You have:

>English - Shakespeare, Melville, Milton, Joyce,
>Italian - Dante and I'm sure more but he alone may suffice
>Ancient Greek - The Greeks
>Latin - The Romans
>Russian - Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and many others and I'm showing my ass here
>Spanish - Cervantes
>French - Proust
>German - Goethe and many philosophers

So really if you want to talk objectivity then you have to define who is objectively the best, but not all of us are going to know because not many of us know 4+ languages. But to those who have known that many languages, and have proved credible, I bet they'd say the same thing. "Start learning a language and read instead of wasting your time. Oh, and all asian languages blow."

>Russian (Bulgakov, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Solzhenitsyn, etc)

I'm not OP. I was just commenting on how stupid your answer was. Your very list is nothing but a shorthand for anglo approved writers from other languages. It's absolute shite.

As far as complexity of expression and breadth of title? Probably German (for expression), there's something to be said that it birthed its idealism.

For the latter I imagine English.

Hard mode: Library of Alexandria was never destroyed -- Latin.

Sanskrit may have been interesting after German, Latin and maybe Arabic. Simply speaking as literary languages. Idk Japan puts out good esoteric aesthetic moralisms about now :^)

Care to back up your statement? :^)

Does that make the answer any less true?

1. greek
2. german
3. english
4. russian
5. french

5. Scottish Gaelic
4. Latin
3. Homeric Greek
2. Old Norse
1. Sumerian

Every time someone asks this it just turns into a bunch of people saying "the languages that I know are the best".

Maybe a more interesting question would be: has anyone here ever learned a language and then found its literature uninteresting?

English, all we need is Shakespeare

I think the answer to your question is no.
If you are learning a language you have to find it intrinsically interesting or else you will quit (unless you are in a mandatory course or some thing).
Therefore, if you find the language interesting in itself you will undoubtedly find their best literature interesting.

I speak 4 languages and one of them is dutch, imo there is only one dutch work that can be considered literature the rest is kinda shit

What is it

The universal language of love.

The Evenings - Gerard Reve

unironically english as there is by far the most material.

dank je

I would have said Max Havelaar

I'll check him out too

It's funny how narrow some the views here are, i get it, it's predominantly americans here
but saying russia has "only" Dostojewski and Tolstoi, france has "only" Proust or germany has "only" Goethe (&the philosophers) is like me saying english has "only" Shakespeare and Milton.
Most other (european) countries have their own literary canons and traditions, admitetly most of the (espacially older) works don't have that much relevance to an international audience, since most of the culture back then was 'national'/dealt with topics mostly relevant to national audiences but you have to take into account that the ones you know (for example in the US) are only a tiny portion of a vast literary universe

The "canon" as we know it is only dominanted by english because the americans dominate culture, if the russians had won WWII, Pushkin, Tugenew and Tschechow would now be included in the canon, if the germans would've won you might've read Schiller, Hölderlin, Kleist or Heine

>Dostojewski
>Tolstoi
>Tugenew
>Tschechow
kys

Serbian. Here's a short list of what you never will understand properly unless you read it in the original:
novelists:
>Ivo Andric
>Mesa Selimovic
>Borisav Stankovic
poets:
>Jovan Ducic
>Laza Kostic
>Vladislav Petkovic Dis
>Branko Miljkovic
>Vasko Popa

and a tier of his own
>Petar Petrovic II Njegos
the guy wrote epic poetry, plays, histories etc.

How close is Serbian to Romanian?
I'm in Canada but my parents are Romanian so I know it (kind of)

One is Slavic, one is Romance. Very different.

But seriously, in that slav language (polish?) Dostoevsky is really spelled "Dostojewski"? lmao

In German they spell it Dostojewskij

That's what I thought. Do you use the Latin alphabet or Cyrillic?
I know most Slavic languages use cyrillic but I heard some are switching.

Serbian uses both.

>no Indonesian
gb2plebbit

Really? That's wild (if true). In the same word or some words in one and others in the other?

>Joyce

No. There's a one-to-one correspondence of letters. If you write a sentence in Cyrillic you can write the same in Latin.
And names of foreign origin are transliterated.
ie Cluj-Napoca becomes
Клyж-Haпoкa or Kluž-Napoka.

My Copy of the Brothers karamazov says Dostojewski but it really doesnt matter dostoevski is just the same sound but with english pronounciation

English, but only because of Dan Schneider

Quite clearly English.

Greek and Latin come after.

> has anyone here ever learned a language and then found its literature uninteresting?
I have learnt Quranic Arabic and the literature is boring.

English, then French, then Greek

French for poetry.

Francis?

Has he let people read the Vincetti Brothers? Will he let me read some of his books if I email him?

Russian here

I anderstend your slavic books realy we'll even puškin loved Serbian Bosnian poets and translate them to Russian in his slavic pagan tales

Like the epic old bosnian bogomili book (gužli)fighting roman hungrians hans and Turks us gaidamaki (Balkan Serbian romanian bulgarian Russian ukraininans woriors) all over the Balkan and east Europa grecce to death

What i want to post is this book about Serbian bosnian poets

ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Гycли_(Mepимe)

Yea, go email him - but don't be a douche about it.

I have his 1000 page memoirs and his Completed Poems. The writing is insane. He can sketch full fleshed out and breathing characters in a matter of a few paragraphs. He's also probably done all forms of poetry and has invented some new ones.

Getting my hands on his writing has freed me from the Veeky Forums curse. I can now ignore all other book recommendations because they seem like a shadow to what he has accomplished, and I don't feel like reading any books other than his.

Russian link sorry

Here This link in english

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Guzla

Y'all can stop trying to convince me to learn meme languages, it's not happening.

>anglo

American pindos even if i post this still not ??

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsbStzuRP4w

Well have Fun with your Shity englo old books what can i say you misse a lot of good things

I us a Real slav speak Russian speak write Serbian bosnian makedonian montonegrian horvatian slovanian slovakian czech polish bulgarian greek ukrainian belarussian and old charch sv cyrillic kirilius Metidius slavic

But my english is shit since i never steady it in school

But Feel good to be slav :) really good and any slav Like me can say the same :)

>This whole list
Holy shit senpai

If we leave our politic out its Feel good to be slav !!!! But after jugoslav wars Amerika try to make Russian wars to here in Russia

But it never Gona happend we Are together and we all speak Russian jedinstvo bratstvo

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_s5m06ofo6w

Ok ok nie wiem nie wiem

Check the nice solo in the start :)

>tfw brazilian literature is now pamphletary bullshit and has never produced anything else of note since the times of Clarice Lispector and Nelson Rodrigues

Both of those were still pretty bad tho.

If you are a lover of poetry these days you know that it’s not a good time for your love. The greatest flowering of poetry in world history- in terms of diversity, depth, & breadth- occurred in the United States roughly between the years 1910 & 1970. During that 60 year period there were more great poems being published & more great poets writing than anywhere or anywhen else.
Elizabethan England? Please- I’ll grant you Shakespeare, Milton, & above both- John Donne. Who comes next? No 1 that can reasonably be granted greatness. The assorted Dynastic periods of China? Tu Fu & Li Po I’ll grant, & perhaps Po-Chu-I, but you’re stretching the definition of an age when it spans centuries, & after those 3 you are left with ‘poets’ who wore that appellation about as neatly as a Joyce Carol Oates- most were routine scribes who wrote routine verse. Haiku? Bashō, Buson, Issa- then who? Not to mention that 3 line haikus- even at their best- simply cannot match the depth, complexity, nor music of even a sonnet. Latin American poets in the early-mid 20th Century? There are a few greats- Paz, Neruda, Huidobro come to mind- but most were just political hacks- bumper sticker writers. The French Symbolists? Mallarme & who else? The Romantics? Hmm….England- Shelley, Keats, perhaps Coleridge & Wordsworth. Forget Byron or Clare- the rest fall off a cliff. Perhaps the German Romantics? Goethe, Schiller, Novalis, Holderlin, Heine? Puh-leeze! Perhaps the Soviet Era poets of Russia? Pasternak, Mandelstam, & Tsvetaeva are greats, while Akhmadulina, & Akhmatova were pretty good. Don’t even try to make a claim for the propagandist Mayakovsky.
Now, here’s a pretty good list of the major American poets who were writing & came to fame during the 1910-1970 period: Wallace Stevens, Robert Frost, Carl Sandburg, T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Robinson Jeffers, Archibald MacLeish, Marianne Moore, Hart Crane, Countee Cullen, Langston Hughes, H.D., Elizabeth Bishop, William Carlos Williams, Edna St. Vincent Millay, e.e. cummings, Kenneth Rexroth, Kenneth Patchen, Edwin Rolfe, Charles Olson, Robert Hayden, John Berryman, Gwendolyn Brooks, Robert Lowell, James Emanuel, W.D Snodgrass, Allen Ginsberg, Frank O’Hara, Anne Sexton, Weldon Kees, & Sylvia Plath come to mind without much effort. & some could argue this list is only ½ or ⅓ its proper length.

One day englo you and isreal the Real terorists will Gona get atom nuked if you come here for all your sins in east Europa and mideal east for all the mothers thet lost there children in your wars for global jew control

For Syria created isis with isreal and saudia arabia
For Iran helping isreal
For jugoslavia bombing Serbia and montanegro till they give up
For soviet Union santctions for ever even now still we stronger
For africa Nigers slavery
For afganistan drag sell all over the world
For kavkaz suporting muslims in chechina
For suporting Radikal muslims all over the world then cry about your osama bin ladan thet you created

One day one day i hoph thet day will come soon whan we weap you out from this world and turn america to radioactive ashes if you Coen to our slavic land

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sChuEODUq7o

Death to englo world

English, French, German, and Russian

Russian literatura is the best in the world 100 time beter then englos stronger have a lot of feeling and sedness in its words

We are the best only glory to my land

m.youtube.com/watch?v=385biTwcKCU

Here check this old soviet vinyl out its will pruve my point and shot the fuck englos forever in the face thet we have the best poets and writers and you can't translete Russian to english you just can't our history is Full of brevery and pride we Are the original slavs and the strongest and the emperial of all

Anly mother Russia can created pepole Like dostojewski demitri donskoi or alexander nevski or Ivan grozny or katarina velika or kniginja sopia

Death to america

Death to america death to englo world death to chtolliic scum

Slava Russia ukrainia belarus Greece Armenia Serbia moldova romania Gruzia and all the ortahdox world

Agia sofia constantinopol will be our soon

This*

Can someone rec me some good italian literature? Preferably not medieval and entry-level

>being that much delusional
Russia is famous because of affirmative action. Its mostly garbage compared objectively even with mediocre english writers

>American englo

Russia is the best deal with it and i dont care what you say i care what other countrys think not your

>No mention of Chinese
What the FUCK

these language fight is so retarded, just learn 20 languages

jesus christ you're so pleb it's not even funny