Just a reminder that the only acceptable liquids in a beef, bison, or venison chili are:

Just a reminder that the only acceptable liquids in a beef, bison, or venison chili are:
>beef stock
>tomato juice/ paste
>stout or porter beer

Also, chili general.

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oh, and beans are NOT acceptable.

>Not putting elderberry wine in your venison chili
You fucking dropped the ball, bro.

Bullshit. Beans add variety, texture, flavor, and protein. Beans are almost as necessary as fresh chili peppers seeds and all.

>making chili with venison at all
>not adding any sort of wine to it either

If you use beans your making bean soup not chili you faggoted retard.

they would probably reduce the protein per serving

anyone wants some of my chili? its vegan

this, beans are carby

This is bean soup, you retarded faggot. If its a stew with chili peppers, meat, tomatoes, and onions, it's a chili, whether you put beans in it or not.

When are you insecure automatic faggots going to learn that people cook food the way they like it, regardless of what “da rules” say

beans do not belong in chili. an hero yourself. now

Then I would miss out on a lifetime of shitting on the faggotry that Texans get their dicks hard for.

I will never understand people that argue about the "right" way to make food. You guys aren't even talking about the cons of beans in chili, just hurr durr muh authentic chili xD

you're online talking about texans' dicks. telling. very telling indeed.

I disagree but I've also had Wisconsin style chili which is literally cheese soup with a little bit of meat and peppers

If it doesn't have beans then it isn't chili. It's a type of meat sauce

Dubs of wrong.

Every ground beef chili has beans in it.
EOF.

Okay, i`m going to cook chili tomorrow.
What are non-obvious tricks for making it good?
Also - what do you do when too much water evaporates? Just add more water?

use actual dried ancho chilis
use canned adobo sauce/chilis
use canned tomato but very little
pintos are ok.
if you're using ground beef give it a quick brine in baking soda/salt. trust me there is science behind it

whats that, split peas, white beans and tofu?

>and protein
>as if it is remotely necessary when there is already meat in it

a chili is read, not saffron yellow dipshit

Uhhhhh.....
UUUUHHHHHHHH......

why not a strong red wine?

What about green peas or tofu? :^)

>has never used pigs blood.

Trust me, once you taste it, it ruins you for other foods.

Chili is meant to be eaten, not read, you dipshit.
Besides, there's both green as well as red chili peppers.

What, are you trying to make me feel bad about the chili I'm eating right now?

Shredded chicken, black and red kidney beans, corn, chick peas, green pepper, onion, crushed tomato, garlic with a whack of cumin.

Tastes delicious, and beans add more bulk to the mix.

Just a reminder that if you are making chili, and you're not 100% indigena, you've failed before you've begun, and you should probably boil yourself in a pot of beans, and ask your family to dump your remains on an axolotl farm.

My god, that picture is so appetizing, OP. I, too, love chili con frijoles stew.

The only reason to not have beans in chili is because yer too stupid to know how to grow'em. Pic related god tier.

MMMMMM, I just want to drink that pooled oil at the bottom of that plate

thats the liquid from the chili fucktard

Glad you cleared that up. Can you also specify the exact brands of beer that are acceptable so I don't fuck up my chili?

No water in chili. Only beef stock, the juice from canned tomatoes, tomato paste to thicken it, and stout or porter beer. Also, fresh chilis are a must, in addition to your chili seasoning blend. Fresh chilis let you customize your heat, and you get the vitamins from the veg. Personally, I like a good burn, but not flamethrower mouth, so I go for six fresh jalapenos and six fresh habaneros to 2 lbs of meat (1 lbs ground beef, 1 lbs stew beef). If I want to spice it up a little more, I'll add in a serano or two. Of course, you use all the pepper except the stem. Slice it up and include the seeds in the stew to get the full heat from your peppers.

Any good drinkable beer, same as cooking with wine. I've had good results with Guinness and Murphy's.

Just made chili two days ago.
Three kinds of meat, three kinds of peppers, three kinds of beans.
But for liquid I used pic related and a splash of Worcestershire.

>beef stock
>not superior bone broth
Sounds like someone needs a tall glass of CAVEMAN

I only put in mine:
>Ground turkey
>Cayenne pepper
>tomato juice
>Corn
>Green beans
>Pinto beans
>Mushrooms
>Milwaukee's Best Ice

>using tomato juice/paste instead of crushed tomatoes
tha fuck you on about

my chili recipe.

r8 & h8, faggots.

>habaneros and scotch bonnets I'm growing are finally big and plump
>gonna make some ass blaster chili
>1 cup of mixed chopped peppers should be enough to melt my stomach lining
>finished product is barely 2 alarm chili

What did I do wrong? Is it because I cooked them with the onions for too long?

Chili without beans is meat soup. Would not, could not, on a boat.

If I could punch you through this computer screen I would.

Nigga there's already beans in the picture. No backsies faggot. Beans are here to stay.

Possibly. Did you also use dried chiles? You need to come at it from multiple angles. Maybe use more next time.

It may be tasty, but it's a crime to call it chili.

>THREE cans of beans
>fucking CORN

I'd mention that you use "chili" powder, instead of your own blend of pureed chilis, but you were already dead before you even started.

Go Cincinnati style and throw a ton of cinnamon in there

Of all the recipes that exist where people bitch at each other over what's the proper way to make it, why is Chili the one where people are the most autistic over?

Chili stinks when it’s being cooked.
At least Indian food is fragrant.

Chile colorado is just better and likely more original honestly

No it doesn't. What kind of fucked up recipe are you doing

That's spaghetti bolognese user. With too much cheese.

Whether or not it has beans is up to the cook. If you don't like it the way the cook made it, then why don't you go make your own chili instead of whining about it like a little girl?

I know a lot of old time ranchers in Texas who would strongly disagree with you. Ask them about whether or not they think there should be beans in chili, they will answer that they like beans just fine in chili and they will think that you are a complete retard for asking.

This. But, most of them only use pinto beans or "Ranch-Style" beans. (Pic related). And, a lot of places that serve chili offer it with or without beans.

Abominations unto God. Exorcise thine demons.

THE KEY TO A GOOD CHILI IS AS FOLLOWS

It tastes more like meat and peppers than it does ANY hint of tomato
And that even if it has beans, they are not the majority of it, the majority should be meat

Isn't chili just spicy beef stew?
If so, what's the problem with putting in stuff like beans, potatoes, peas, or carrots? Why do we have to eat it with shitty shredded """"cheese"""" instead of Parmiggiano-Reggiano or something like that? Why do we have to drink beer with it instead of wine?

I'm making chili later this week and wanted opinions on chile choices so far i'm going to put dried ancho and dried cascabel along with fresh jalapeno

What about turkey chili?

You shread your own cheese retard
And peas and carrots dont go in chili it's like putting mayo and mustard on a steak
And drink whatever you want it doesn't matter and anyone who says it does is a faggot

>Isn't chili just spicy beef stew?
It's a chili stew. Chili peppers are supposed to be the main ingredient, not a seasoning.

>>If so, what's the problem with putting in stuff like beans, potatoes, peas, or carrots?
Add them if you like, but I don't think the taste of carrots or peas is a good match for the peppers and spices typical for chili.

This right here.

>not Natty

Dropped.

So what is a good recipe for chili with no beans? I'm ready to experience it. The only chili I've ever had always has ground beef used in it, too. I am ready to actually buy some fucking peppers and make it the "correct" way, that is to say without beans. Please help an user.

>shread
Who were you calling a retard?

Posted this in another thread but it was ignored, rate my chili:

Toasted some dry Habanero, Chipotle, Anaheim, Arbol and Ancho in a very lightly greased frying pan and set them aside.

In the same pan, I seared/browned: 800g of beef chuck, 250g of venison fillet steak, 500g of pork mince and 200g of (crumbled) chorizo - in that order and let them rest before slicing/dicing the beef and venison and putting the whole bunch in the slow cooker (not turned on).

In the same pan, I added 1.5 large onion and decided to experiment by adding a bit of sugar to make it caramelise slightly, emptied those in the slowcooker then added some (pre-grilled) red peppers in brine and some jalapeno pickles (also to experiment) cooked them a bit then added them to the slow cooker to. The idea was to deglaze the pan slightly with their brine.

After that I added 500ml of chicken stock/veg. bouillon mix, and the toasted chilis and cooked them in the same pan until half the liquid had reduced and the chilis were nice and soft.

Added them to a blender with a tin of chipotles in adobo, crushed garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, dark sugar, Worcestershire sauce (and now for the crazy bit) and also a bit of star anise/clove/cinammon, marmite and a couple of anchoives - all those were suggested on Serious Eats along with 2/3 of a bottle of dark, sweet, stout, a teaspoon of ground coffee and a teaspoon of chocolate.

Added the blended mix to the slowcooker along with some oregano, tomato passata, and some more beer and chicken/veg stock as well, a couple of bay leaves and a corner of butter and set it on low.

I know the last few ingredients that SE suggests sound nuts and aren't at all traditional but they made an interesting addition to the flavour and I wanted to try something different. Smells and tastes excellent so far. You can discern the different chili flavours very well despite all the crazy mix of ingredients.

I am going to sleep and better have constructive (You)s when I wake up

Sounds goddamn delicious. Only part that sounds a bit odd to me is the clove and star anise, but I could see how that might be good.

look right above you, you dumb motherfucker.

Ate some today and it's incredible. Because it's such a huge amount and the "strange", SE derived ingredients are in such small quantities they blend in very nicely rather than standing out.

I tried to combine the practicality of pic-related's recipe and some of the more inspired ingredients by SE but omitted the rest of their recipe ( seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html ) because it's far too much hassle, especially the whole rib thing he does.

One thing I'm going to do next time is make two or three times the amount of the blended chili and spices paste and try to freeze it or refridgerate it because it would cut down on prep-time drastically.

>no beans
not chili

I actually used two medium sized cans because I didn't want it to be bean-heavy (black beans and pinto beans), but forgot to write that. People are so divided other them lel.

beans in chili is just an admission that you're too poor to afford enough meat and chilis.

Beans have nothing to do with the meat or the amount of chiles. Especially the amount of chiles. If anything, you'd need more chiles with beans because of how they rob flavor from dishes.

oh okay, you may pass. i bet it's good.

chili without beans is a condiment for hot dogs, that's all.

Does anyone else make deer chili or am I the only hick?

Except they have everything to do with it. Beans are filler. They are a cheap way to stretch out your primary ingredients, but as you admitted they rob them of flavor.

I put in two venison fillet steaks in mine, I cut them in slightly longer strips than the beef chuck so that I can tell which one is which when I'm eating because I'm curious to see the difference in flavour. Why is deer a hick thing? In Euroland it's a fancy meat

>venison is fancy

>In Euroland it's a fancy meat

well you guys think horse is acceptable to eat too so who knows about your meat situation

deer is considered hick because we go shoot and process it ourselves. it's free food, so anyone downing on that is a fucking retard

It's by far the most expensive of the commonly available red-meats. It's not caviar but you won't see anyone below middle-class eating it. At least that's the case in the UK.

Venison isn't red meat, user.
It's game.

Don't be pedantic. And if anything is considered "fancy" then that's game.

>horse
Good enough for Chingiskhan, good enough for me

It's red meat and game. Or are you trying to tell me game poultry and venison are the same shit?

He wasn't being pedantic, it is most definitely not red meat.

>game poultry
You're struggling.
Go and do some research.

Poultry is domesticated, game is not.
They are complete opposites.

Do you honestly not know the difference?

>He wasn't being pedantic, it is most definitely not red meat.

According to the USDA, all meats obtained from mammals (regardless of cut or age) are red meats because they contain more myoglobin than fish or white meat (but not necessarily dark meat)[5] from chicken.[6]

Why has this become a board for trolling and intentional misinformation arguments? Why can't you just stay in /pol/ or /r9k/ or whatever?

That looks like baby vomit.

Beans offer texture, thickening, and fiber to your chili, not just filler. So they're not just a meat replacement. And before you get all indignant with me, I almost NEVER add beans to my chili, but I can see why some people like it, and what they add. But yes, they do rob the chili of flavor, which means you have to use more chiles and seasonings, plus the ONLY acceptable beans for chili are pinto or pink beans. People who use kidney and black beans make me angry as fuck.

Turkey and chicken are fine by me in a white chili, but just seem like a lame cop-out in red chili. Bear in mind, I love me some white chili with pinto beans and tortilla chips and pepperjack cheese.

A buddy of mine in Georgia used to make a pot of venison chili every week during deer season for our Monday Night RAW get-togethers. Love me some venison chili too.

Oh yeah, pork is good in red chili, but best in chili verde.

>"chili general"
>posts a picture of beans and minced meat soup

you seeded those fuckers didn't you? only pussies seed their peppers

Pair that chili with a steak and you'd be able to shitpost Veeky Forums into an even deeper oblivion.

thats soup not chili

Using some sausage is one of my favourite tricks. I also like to add some spicy brown mustard along with the Worcestershire sauce and other spices the mustard flavor is nice and the vinegar is a nice touch.