Heard charcoal bamboo is a good way to filter out the chemicals and shit from your tap water

heard charcoal bamboo is a good way to filter out the chemicals and shit from your tap water

i wanna use this for getting as clean water as i can to use for coffee and tea by putting it in the kettle while the waater is brewing

any1 know if this works or if it's just a meme. (the tap water in my area, new york, is known to be pretty good as is)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OFhp2eg7f1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=GzLvqCTvOQY
amazon.com/Brita-Everyday-Water-Pitcher-Filter/dp/B01FXN3E74/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1509928767&sr=1-6&keywords=brita filter
sigmaaldrich.com/chemistry/chemical-synthesis/learning-center/technical-bulletins/al-1430/activated-carbon.html
youtube.com/watch?v=j_ouCfFGIiI
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0043135411007561
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon#Production
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

activated carbon (seriously, not a meme) removes xenoestrogens from the tap water. i don't know about the bamboo charcoal thingy.

Heave you heard of Propur water filtration?

Charcoal is nice. I like the bell-like ringing of it.
youtu.be/OFhp2eg7f1Y

just buy a fucking brita filter you mongoloid

it costs like 4$ for almost a kilo of this shit whereas brita uses the same idea for $$$

how do you activate your carbon?

>buying charcoal when you could make it for free

youtube.com/watch?v=GzLvqCTvOQY

"activated" in this case just means it's smashed into small pieces to maximise surface area. It's what they use to rinse out your stomach in hospital if you eat too many pills etc.

Yeah bamboo charcoal is just the meme version of activated charcoal. I put ~1/2 teaspoon in a bottle of water. It’s cool cause the water turns as black as Satan’s butthole. Also it’s like $10 for a 3 lb bag

What are Xenoestrogens and do I just throw it in water and filter it? How do I get the water clear again?

Xenoestrogens are chemicals that act like estrogen in your body. However your body doesn’t see them as estrogen, so when they are present your body can’t regulate estrogen properly and you get man boobs. When you put activated charcoal in water it binds to the xenoestrogens and you just shit it all out instead of absorbing it. So to answer your question, yes you just put it in water

Just get a brita filter you fucking idiots. they rely on activated charcoal filters that work as well and are way cheaper than this hipster bamboo bullshit.

>brita filter expensive
amazon.com/Brita-Everyday-Water-Pitcher-Filter/dp/B01FXN3E74/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1509928767&sr=1-6&keywords=brita filter
$26 for a huge pitcher and a filter that you just forget about. It's clear that you don't make very much money because you don't value your time-- the $22 price difference between a brita and your dumb bamboo would equate to hours of additional work over time as you filter water through it. Not worth my fucking time.

They're the chemicals in the water that turn the frikkin frogs gay!

this post really activates my carbon

IT IS NOT A MEME, IT IS REAL, I STUDIED WATER TREATMENT IN UNIVERSITY

It can be both.

You need a reverse osmosis system for the best water. If the initial cost is too much for you, supermarkets sell RO water cheap.

Fake

>(seriously, not a meme)
the fact you must specifically state this leads to me believe it actually is a meme

It's popular in the apex Jones crowd so some people associate it crackpots despite the legitimate evidence about it's effects.

It's not bullshit and is used to remove organic impurities in a variety of contexts.
This is from a huge chemical supply outfit:
sigmaaldrich.com/chemistry/chemical-synthesis/learning-center/technical-bulletins/al-1430/activated-carbon.html
>Activated carbons are generally used as adsorbents or catalysts. They can be used in the removal of dyes, odors, tastes, and contaminants. They are, therefore, also used in water decontamination and purification processes.4
>Activated carbon is available in a variety of grades for purification and, particularly, for decoloration applications, as well as for specialized uses.

The use of 'decolorizing carbon' to remove impurities is well established in organic chemistry.
They don't necessarily teach hot filtration, let alone hot filtration with charcoal to undergrad biology majors, but it's still a real, useful technique.

>Frustration Free Packaging
>$7 more than standard
I have questions.

..it means foreign estrogen. Xeno meaning alien, and estrogen is estrogen. It's estrogen from another source, like phytoestrogen. Which is plant estrogen.

>pure water
>best
Nigga, that shit will leech your minerals. You can literally die if you drink too much of that shit without taking in more minerals. That shit is used as an insulator in electrical switchgears.

Eat food.

it's just a fucking filter
it's a bunch of hocus pocus and buzzwords being thrown around to disguise the fact that it's literally just the same as any filter you could have made since boyscouts youtube.com/watch?v=j_ouCfFGIiI

I imagine the reverse osmosis system contains a mineralization bar which the water has to go through during the filtration process.

ACTIVATED CARBON IS NOT A MEME REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0043135411007561

no it's just part of a normal filter

>Description of what it does in no unclear terms
>Hocus pocus and buzzwords
Did you pass grade school English?

>it's just a fucking filter
yes, retard, and you're assmad about it, lel

who is

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon#Production

Learn how to make it activated.

not impressive, i am still waiting for the almond activation tutorial.
0/10

kek

I honestly think Brita is good for what it does. I don't have any other real alternatives since I dont own my own home so it helps a ton. The water source is shit too so I get a ton of hard water and the filters help with that too, at the cost of filter life.

Good job talking etymology, user-who-clearly-knows-less-than-who-he-replied-to.

He never said pure water. Usually reverse osmosis systems have a little mineral bit that it flows through at the end for flavor. No, you do not need minerals in water to live, it's just for flavor. If you're relying on water for essential minerals, your diet is foobar.

I think where the confusion is coming from relates to people who have lab experience.

In a chemical or biological lab, RO water does NOT have any minerals in it. The point is to be as pure as possible. In that context it is commonly stated that it is unsafe to drink RO or de-ionized water because there's a small chance it could cause an electrolyte imbalance. It's one of those better-safe-than-sorry safety rules. So I can see how someone with that kind of background would mention that it's unsafe to drink RO water--after all, that rule gets pushed hard as part of the general lab safety protocol.

>>No, you do not need minerals in water to live, it's just for flavor. If you're relying on water for essential minerals, your diet is foobar.
All very true.

>In a chemical or biological lab, RO water does NOT have any minerals in it
wait do they not just call it ddH2O or DI water? Where did you sit in a lab where they called it RO water?

Two private companies I worked for called it "RO" water. I used to manage a reseach lab at a major US university. There we had two kinds. The more basic stuff was plumbed into the lab; we called that DI water. We also had a special purifier for the very high grade stuff; that we called "milli-Q water".

But the semantics don't seem very relevant. Whether you call it DI or RO or whatever else the concept is still the same: safety rules suggest that you shouldn't consume it due to potential electrolyte imbalance issues.

>safety rules suggest that you shouldn't consume it due to potential electrolyte imbalance issues.

Registered dietitian nutritionist here. This is one of the dumbest things I've read on Veeky Forums this year.

I never said it made sense, user. Only that it is a commonly repeated "safety rule" for places that use a lot of RO/DI water.

I agree it's silly, but that hasn't stopped it from being commonly parroted.

>"milli-Q water".
weird
at my uni they call it millipore water
I think they just tell people not to drink it because it's just a bad look for people to get into the habit of drinking things from beakers or wash bottles in lab. It'd just be fucking strange.

>milli-Q water is just millipore water that's been treated with UV
>the milli-Q system costs 13% more
the school you worked at got swindled

>In that context it is commonly stated that it is unsafe to drink RO or de-ionized water
>because there's a small chance it could cause an electrolyte imbalance
No you fucking idiot.
You don't consume *any* food or drink in a chemical or biological lab due to the risk of ingesting various contaminants.

Him saying it's commonly stated doesn't mean he believes what he just said. Cool your roll, faggot.