What's the best edition of Lovecraft's complete works?

What's the best edition of Lovecraft's complete works?

There's this garish thing in the pic (from "Race Point Publishing"), a cheaper and suspect-looking one from "Book Sales Inc"...Library of America also has a volume out, but for some reason those fucking retards didn't include all the stories.

Perhaps there's some out of print edition I could get used that's better than all of these options?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j22SJ-TSw8A
amazon.com/dp/0785834206
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oh and there's also this fugly leatherbound edition from Barnes & Noble. Quite expensive.

I have this, it's great. No omissions and correct ordering, neat font and high quality paper. I'd recommend it, it's pretty cheap

youtube.com/watch?v=j22SJ-TSw8A

I'm also looking at the Penguin editions now, unfortunately only paperback and spread out over 3 volumes. OTOH the annotations by S. T. Joshi seem like they might be worthwhile?

>Quite expensive.
I got this like six months ago for $15 after I gave my previous copy to a friend. It's barebones in the sense that you only get the stories and some puerile introductions from ST Joshi, but it's a fine collection.

Also not sure if you're aware of this, but there is no "complete" set of his works in the sense that it contains all of his fiction writings. He wrote a shit ton of poetry that has to be found separately.

>garish thing

Believe me, it's one of the nicest-looking "complete" editions out there. I think the cover and casing design is amazing (and I don't even like Cthulhu that much), you have to see it in person to really appreciate it.
My only complaint is that the pages are really thin and fragile.

I have those, very nice for paperbacks and very portable.
I've lend them out +- 3 times and taken some to beaches, some to forests in autumn, still nice condition. (+-9-10 years old now).

The notes are handy for explaining the time-periods, references ect. really helps getting a clearer picture in some stories.
(The this book does not exists but this shit is real kinda thing were also liked by me)

>best edition of Lovecraft's complete works
this amazon.com/dp/0785834206

That cover tho

I would be embarrassed to be seen reading these. Why is Lovecraft only known for his "epic C'thulu madness"?

commercial perversion due to lack of copyright and infantalizing consumer "geek" culture

Well, marketing his stories as the work of an aristocratic racist & nihilist with an extreme aversion to modernity probably isn't going to draw in readers. It's easier to slap tentacles on the cover and call it a day.

Also most of his other monsters are so bizarre that it'd be hard to make them a mascot.

The Centipede Press Library of Weird Fiction edition would probably be the un-ugliest because it simply has Lovecraft's face printed on it and it's the dust cover, so you can take it off.
Sadly it's practically unavailable.

never mind, I just found out it isn't even remotely complete, so fuck it.

I wish those weren't a few hundred dollars a piece.

>has Lovecraft's face on it
>not the ugliest edition possible

So, does this actually include ALL of his work?
I don't mind the cover.

missing some juvenilia and some obscure poems

B...but Lovecraft was cute!

I too bought this. Some pages weren't cut properly, but I DIY'ed it. Otherwise, it's fine.