What are works that instantly expose tryhard hacks when they talk about them?

What are works that instantly expose tryhard hacks when they talk about them?

Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

finwake.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Honestly, I'm very intimidated to attempt to read this book. Joseph Campbell himself even had to make a book dedicated entirely to understanding what the fuck was going on, I never realized how full of depth Finnegans Wake is.

>he doesn't appreciate puns and mythology
Finnegans Wake is very difficult but the fact that you actually went ahead and made this thread instead of just picking up one of the several Finnegans Wake readers (hell, finwake.com is a good place to start) shows that you're a insecure manlet.

Not OP, but thanks bruv. Finnegans Wake is on my must read list, but that link is very helpful. I'll try and start reading and trying to comprehend things with the held of these guides.

Yeah, that site is very helpful. litgenius also has some very useful annotations on all of FW.

If you really want to dig into it though, you can't go wrong with A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake by Joseph Campbell.

Puns are Reddit. Even 'Redditor' is a fucking pun.

I'd get the OWC version because it has a very good intro to ease you into it, that and this chart is very helpful. Also be sure to read up on Irish history and mythology along with the general canon stuff you should have read already (Bible, Herodotus, etc.). Knowing a bit about Joyce's life helps a whole lot, and also reading Samuel Beckett's novels were a huge help to me because a lot of the techniques specific to FW show up in those writings but in a much easier to follow fashion. Like I knew he studied under Joyce when he was writing FW but I had no idea just how much of that he used for his own style.

How is redditor a pun?

Pun in the 'new' sense of the word where people just mean wordplay. Reddit + editor.

higher res

See? This is exactly what the OP is about. It seems to have struck quite a nerve there, plus we know now that you're a self hating, insecure manlet.

>projecting this hard
lmao ok user, whatever helps you sleep at night

>post about books
>user calls user insecure manlet (?) over it
>call it out
>lolollol u projecting bro??!!?

wow

Brainlet

i meant to call you a brainlet, user, i don't care about your height
and it's obviously an insecure move

>post what is widely considered one of the greatest works of literature
>say that anyone who likes it is a pseud
>get called out on it
>"no u"
>somehow this is calling it out

for fucks sake, user

A formless and dull mass of phony folklore, a cold pudding of a book. Conventional and drab, redeemed from utter insipidity only by infrequent snatches of heavenly intonations. Detest it. A cancerous growth of fancy word-tissue hardly redeems the dreadful joviality of the folklore and the easy, too easy, allegory. Indifferent to it, as to all regional literature written in dialect. A tragic failure and a frightful bore.

guys stop

it would really raise the rep of this board if we did a reading group for this

glowing brains who've already read it can guide us

800 pages of puns? nah, i'll pass

it's more like 600 pages, user
and it's not all puns (well, all the writing is, but there's lots of themes being explored there)

>Finnegans Wake is very difficult

It's literally mostly gibberish.

>reading Joyce for "themes"
doing it wrong m8y

>this meme
no user, Kenji Siratori is gibberish, FW has internal consistency in its language

"themes" is the vaguest possible word i could find, user.
And no one reads Joyce just for how he explores his themes (and an exploration of timeless themes is pretty much necessary for any actual enduring classic), his prose alone makes it worthwhile but obviously that doesn't come into play in FW.

go away nabbiecough