Do you not give a shit what condition your books are in, or do you try and keep them relatively spotless?

Do you not give a shit what condition your books are in, or do you try and keep them relatively spotless?

I used to be completely autistic about it. then i realized it's insane and i was driving myself insane, so I stopped. now I'll read trash if the words are legible.

I leave books in worse condition every time.

this is me

I only buy used books.

I'm autistic about keeping them good looking, even if they're just barnes and noble paperbacks. But I have no probably buying a rekt copy of a book, as long as it's legible. But recently I've stopped caring, I'm earmarking instead of using bookmarks, and it releaves a lot of stress for some reason.

I like them well-used and even slightly damaged. Just like my women.

I read while I bathe and sip wine

So no, the edges of the pages will dampen and dry, leaving cute little dimples and water marks

I like having worn books on the shelf, but there's obviously a limit to wear.

I'm less worried about wear and tear as I am filth. Dirt, grease, smudges and smears on the cover, that kind of shit

I gotta be honest that I don't give much shit about the physical state of my books, but they are generally in good shape because they are just books. I pick them up, read them, put them back on the shelf. I don't eat doritos while reading or fold an ear to mark the pages, it's not like I go to war with them.

I try to keep them good-looking. That's the reason I don't make notes inside the book but on a notepad

I threw my Frankenstein out the window into the rain last night after hitting 120 pages. Felt fucking good. Bitch can't write to save her voting right.

should have thrown yourself out the window

Why?

It's a very poorly written and edited book with no moral arguments and numerous logical inconsistencies. Plus it drags on like hell and starts namedropping the references like a psued. Very annoying read. Superficial idea with a deeply failed execution.

I just can't deal with grease/wax stains and crumbs in the creases of the binding, anything else I don't care about. Most of my books I already got in bad shape, when I go to a used book store or a flea market I'm immediately drawn to the oldest, shittiest-looking books with the darkest pages. I actually keep my newer books pretty much out of sight because they don't fit with the overall aesthetic of my shelves. I just don't like to surround myself with white paper or any color that's more intense than a muddy dark brown.

>Frankenstein
>no moral arguments

>(((Frankenstein)))

was Shelley redpilled on Jewish science?

what's the ingenious moral you derived from it, lad?

The obvious moral of Frankenstein is not to play God and pursue science without an application of morals because it will bite you in the ass. Frankenstein thinks he's hot shit and creates his monster just because he can and he gets fucked.

as tumblr as it is old books smell ok

i try to keep my books spotless

wow! What insight! The depth deeper than her vagina! Shelley is 'obviously' not trying too hard to be accepted as smart human equal to men. Fuck off, Mary. You're famous only because you're a woman and married to PB. Cringe!

imagine your desire/need to read overtaking your desire/need to keep your shit clean
imagine being that passionate about anything

Same.

I learned to like paperbacks that have been broken in from use.

Nearly all my books are heavily worn, because I used to work in a charity shop and anything that was beyond selling condition I could take for free

got a nice little library of around 40 or so classics and academic works from that place

I destroy everything I touch like a 7 year old boy.

my dude

...woah...

I write all over and highlight/underline my books. If there is a good passage I highlight it for quicker latter looking up.

Do you not like Frankenstein 2: Dinostein by Micheal Crichton either?

I always start off with trying to keep them decently clean just by not acting like a monkey, but most of the time something will happen that will make me give up on the idea. I'm still mad about the time I spilt water on my everymans hardback of metamorphoses and the fucking spine labels started to crumble away. Was loving it so much, and it was in mint condition then that shit had to happen.
I'm like this as well, but not on purpose or anything. I think my hands promote decay to an unusual extent.

>I think my hands promote decay to an unusual extent.
same

Yeah. The aesthetics of a crumpled soft cover really revs my engine now. It took a while to finally internalize that.
It's still hard for me to not automatically all the books in a set, though, even if I only want one- I mean, I don't, because I'm a cheapskate, but I don't like it.

It only matters what is inside of them. If you care about how they look at all, then you are a pseud, since appearances are obviously more important to you than the content.

Alternatively, if you are aggressively protective of every one of your possessions, then you are just a petty and weak man. Your possessions are extensions of yourself and you cling to them dearly, because you know that you by yourself are not strong enough.

Caring about the condition of books is inherently autistic, i'll just get an edition with all the content in a good condition (e.g. not those fucking Where's Wally editions of Pynchon books) and i'm good to go

A well worn book is a well read book

I'm incredibly anal about the condition of my posessions. Sometimes the obsession prevents from enjoying them.

I hate stickyness and I hate any kind of damage, though when minor flaws appear I usually don't mind too much.

If I didn't care about this, I'd have a lot less to care about. Maybe my life would be easier, but I think I'd lose a part of myself. Everyone imposes arbitrary meanings to things.
Maybe I'll stop one day, who knows.

Bby's first red pill overdose? You should respect your possessions, not batter them in a weird attempt to be more manly.

Post a pic of your bookshelf, I'm curious

I don't read that much to be honest. I used to read more and I'm getting there again.
That's the reason I said 'posessions'.

yes. this is correct

I pay cam models to buy a book, cough, spit, and sneeze over random pages of it, then ship it to me to read

I buy most of my books used/second-hand, so the condition generally varies and isn't really a deal-breaker. I only won't buy something if it's falling apart or in visibly bad condition, but a fold or wrinkle doesn't sway me.

Worth it in the end, my entire bookshelf of 100+ at this point cost me maybe 5 brand new books.

This, but I purchase most of my books from op shops for $1. I have no problem with buying and reading a book in awful condition, but everything I've bought new is pretty much in perfect condition.

Vanilla is one of my favourite spices so I love the smell of old books.